Documentation and CW-related information
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Quick review - C60 Trident Mk 3

Post by H0rati0 »

Richard

I would be interested in your considered opinion of how quality (fit and finish) particularly the bracelet (which looks very nice) compare with your beloved PO?

cheers
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
downer

Post by downer »

H0rati0 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:08 pm Richard

I would be interested in your considered opinion of how quality (fit and finish) particularly the bracelet (which looks very nice) compare with your beloved PO?

cheers
In many ways, it's perhaps an unfair comparison, given that the design of PO bracelet is at least 10 years old.

However, for the sake of it, I would say the CW bracelet is certainly more functional - with the QR lug connection and the ratchet expansion. The Omega bracelet has no micro adjust, but makes do with a 'diver extension' (a flip-out section hidden in the clasp).

Both (as far as I know) use the pin and collar link connections. The Omega has some stretch in it now - although not terrible. Each link in the Omega bracelet has a bevelled/oval profile and smaller links, which, I suspect, aids wearing comfort and certainly helps to avoid the sharper, squarer edge of many other bracelets, including the CW.

The Omega also has polished sides, matching the polished case surfaces on top of the watch. Perhaps those two features (polished edges and bevelled link profile) make the Omega feel a slightly more luxurious product, but this is probably offset by the lack of practicality and slightly dated design.

Overall then - a draw. :D

As for the watch itself, as mentioned before, I have a strong emotional attachment to my PO, but objectively, I would still choose it over the CW - principally because of details such as the polished 12/6/9 and Omega symbol. However, I could definitely live with it being a couple of mm smaller and I don't think the He valve does it any aesthetic favours.

Bearing in mind I paid £2800(ish) for the PO in 2011 - and the closest modern equivalent is £4600(ish), the CW compares very well, I think.
Richard
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Richard, it sounds like you have the 8500 PO? My 8900 does have the slide adjustment in the clasp. It is a step above the Trident clasp because you don't have to take of the watch to make the adjustment. Only open the clasp and make the adjustment with your thumb. The 8900 also has an all brushed bracelet so no more polished sides of the links. Really like the glossy ceramic dial on my PO.

My Mk2 C60 still compares very favorably next to the PO. Obviously, they are different kind of watches but the C60 still is an amazing value compared to the PO.

Nice review and good pictures (especially when the time is a perfect 10:08). I have a 7.5" wrist as well and think I would prefer the 42mm. But like any watch, you can only know for sure when you actually live with a watch for a while.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Thanks Richard, That is what I was looking for a, VFM comparison.

As you say, a little unfair because the PO is somewhat older and everybody has upped their game - while most have also (in many case gougingly) upped their prices!

But I get the idea. CW can walk tall.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
downer

Post by downer »

nordwulf wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:32 pm Richard, it sounds like you have the 8500 PO? My 8900 does have the slide adjustment in the clasp. It is a step above the Trident clasp because you don't have to take of the watch to make the adjustment. Only open the clasp and make the adjustment with your thumb. The 8900 also has an all brushed bracelet so no more polished sides of the links. Really like the glossy ceramic dial on my PO.

My Mk2 C60 still compares very favorably next to the PO. Obviously, they are different kind of watches but the C60 still is an amazing value compared to the PO.

Nice review and good pictures (especially when the time is a perfect 10:08). I have a 7.5" wrist as well and think I would prefer the 42mm. But like any watch, you can only know for sure when you actually live with a watch for a while.
No, my PO is the last of the 2500's. It is a liquid metal LE and I like to tell people it is a 'transitional model' because generally speaking, they are always worth more. :D

In reality, my 2500 PO has the ceramic bezel of the 8500 as well as some other features, but in the older 2500 case.
Richard
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I’m impressed with your review (and the watch). I particularly like the blue version, and specifically the GMT. I think CW have produced a throughly modern and very high quality watch, at a very competitive price.

I had the mk2.5 Black GMT and was always rather conflicted about it. Despite its obvious quality I disliked the composite GMT/dive bezel, found the onion hands old fashioned and had issues with legibility. For me the combination of wavy dial and obtrusive hands could make it sometimes difficult to pass the ‘read at a glance’ test. But that could just be my eyes getting old...

One of my first impressions looking at the new shiny blue dial and bezel was how familiar it is in comparison to my Seamaster 300c. Which I think speaks volumes for what CW have achieved. And as one who has an annoying scratch on his Seamaster external AG I’m happy that this hasn’t got it!

I’ve been in the market for a GMT now for what seems like years. The mk2.5 didn’t work for me and for the last year I’ve been lusting after the Black Bay GMT, but I’m guessing this urge is potentially being redirected back towards CW :thumbup:
Tim
Hicksmat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Hicksmat »

at the Manchester GTG I had a go with this 40mm model and was disappointed to hear that it would be black only, as I felt the blue models of the 38mm and 42mm were simply stunning. They do have more than a nod to the Omega PO minus the domed sapphire as the crystal on this is most definitely flat, and raised as per other versions of the C60. I liked this Pro model a lot, but if they did the GMT or Elite in 40mm I'd much prefer those over this. Why do they keep the 38mm model going? for the ladies? really there wasn't a lot in it between 38mm and 40mm but I think 40mm is the range that would be more popular.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Thanks for posting this review along with your excellent (as always) photographs. I’m looking forward to seeing this in the flesh to see how it compares to the mark 2 tridents I’ve owned previously.

The issue with all the teaser photos released over the past weeks, which was debated at length on Facebook, was a focus on each individual change in isolation, as photos of only part of the watch came out.

It is good to finally see the finished product in its entirety, as the whole watch seems to me to be greater than the sum of its parts. Many small incremental changes have added up to a great looking watch.

Iain
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

iain wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:35 pm It is good to finally see the finished product in its entirety, as the whole watch seems to me to be greater than the sum of its parts. Many small incremental changes have added up to a great looking watch.
Agree with you here. The teasers often showed images designed to be unclear (therefore open to misinterpretation) or small details only, which forced one to focus on individual features in isolation. I found the initial pictures of the new hands to be unattractive - still not a huge fan, but now that we can see the whole product, in context, I’m more positive.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Hicksmat wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:43 pm at the Manchester GTG I had a go with this 40mm model and was disappointed to hear that it would be black only, as I felt the blue models of the 38mm and 42mm were simply stunning. They do have more than a nod to the Omega PO minus the domed sapphire as the crystal on this is most definitely flat, and raised as per other versions of the C60. I liked this Pro model a lot, but if they did the GMT or Elite in 40mm I'd much prefer those over this. Why do they keep the 38mm model going? for the ladies? really there wasn't a lot in it between 38mm and 40mm but I think 40mm is the range that would be more popular.
While I do not recall the percentages, the 43mm size far outsells the 38mm, but there is still enough demand for the 38 to keep it. There has been demand for a 40mm diver, so CW is giving it a go on a limited basis. The guess is that it will take sales from one or both of the other sizes. If is actually expands sales, on a percentage basis, it would be a pleasant surprise I think. Depending on sales a few things can happen. The 40mm goes away, the 38 goes away or the 42mm will go away. When/if the 38 or 42mm runs out I think you will then see an expansion of the 40mm variants. If the 40mm variants expand and the 38 and 42mm remain, then you will know it was a wise move all around.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Hicksmat wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:43 pm at the Manchester GTG I had a go with this 40mm model and was disappointed to hear that it would be black only, as I felt the blue models of the 38mm and 42mm were simply stunning. They do have more than a nod to the Omega PO minus the domed sapphire as the crystal on this is most definitely flat, and raised as per other versions of the C60. I liked this Pro model a lot, but if they did the GMT or Elite in 40mm I'd much prefer those over this. Why do they keep the 38mm model going? for the ladies? really there wasn't a lot in it between 38mm and 40mm but I think 40mm is the range that would be more popular.
I agree with you 100% here. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I want a 40mm blue. I'm gonna wait it out but if it doesn't happen I'll have to settle for one of the others. But I really prefer 40 for this dress diver as it's just the most perfect and versatile size. :thumbdown:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
SBD
CW-watches: 2

Post by SBD »

I haven't posted here in a long time, but the new C60 really impresses me. I'm especially taken by the Elite, as I think titanium is a fantastic material for a dive watch.

Last night, I was on the verge of buying the C60 Elite, but wife convinced me to sleep on it. Came back today, and now they're pre-order? And the introductory pricing is gone? Did I miss my chance to get one on my wrist this week? Ack! :o
TP Fit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by TP Fit »

I know your pain. I talked myself out of a "hasty" decision, to sit on it for a night...$300 discount gone.

oh well, lessoned learned. next time...
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

SBD wrote:I haven't posted here in a long time, but the new C60 really impresses me. I'm especially taken by the Elite, as I think titanium is a fantastic material for a dive watch.

Last night, I was on the verge of buying the C60 Elite, but wife convinced me to sleep on it. Came back today, and now they're pre-order? And the introductory pricing is gone? Did I miss my chance to get one on my wrist this week? Ack! :o
TP Fit wrote:I know your pain. I talked myself out of a "hasty" decision, to sit on it for a night...$300 discount gone.

oh well, lessoned learned. next time...
There is / was no introductory pricing as such.

Seems that CW, in the initial population to the Internet of the listings before it was officially released, had the Titanium at a discounted price. This was swiftly corrected.

We have yet to learn if anyone who got an order in will have it honoured.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Great review Richard :clap:

Your photos really show off the watch to the full and I must say i'm smitten ! 8)