C60 Trident Date-Date COSC | Impressions

Documentation and CW-related information
Consultant

C60 Trident Date-Date COSC | Impressions

Post by Consultant »

I'd like to share my impressions of the C60 Trident Day-Date COSC, particularly since no-one on the forum has done it yet, with the aim of (hopefully) conveying what it's like as a daily wearer.

Disclaimer: I am not a subject matter expert. All views expressed below are my own - if you're looking for technical information about the watch, I recommend visiting Christopher Ward's official site.

What I Quite Enjoy:

Dial and Bezel Colour & Markings: I oftentimes find myself admiring the watch-face from different angles. In direct light, the dial's wave pattern really stands out. The contrast between the dial and the bezel (in direct light) is exacerbated by the bezel's slightly darker shade of black. Away from direct light, the two colours look almost identical and therefore blend quite nicely.

The Seconds-Hand: Although the minute and hour hands are more visually-striking-given their large size-its the seconds hand that I find most appealing. It rotates very smoothly and stretches to the very edges of the dial. Also, the slight magnification along the circumference of the sapphire crystal makes the hands and batons really pop in the dark.

The Bracelet: The polished center-links give the watch a very appealing shine and therefore has quite a presence. This is true both indoors and outdoors. It commands attention - some will glance over at your wrist, some will awkwardly stare and others will ask you about it. Keep in mind, however, that polished links also scratch easily (although usually only noticeable up-close).

The Weight: The watch boasts a depth rating of 600m, which is reflected in its weight. You're unlikely to forget that its wrapped around your wrist, but it is also surprisingly very comfortable to wear for extended periods.

The Day-Date Complication: This was the main reason I bought this watch in lieu of the standard C60. This feature also distinguishes it in an obvious fashion from the coveted Rolex Submariner (from which its design has surely been inspired) and therefore keeps it from being an homage; a characteristic I highly appreciate.

The Winding Mechanism: Smooth and certain. It's a joy winding the watch every morning.

The Rarity: One of only 200 pieces was one of its selling points.

What I Would Rather Experience:

Busier-Looking Dial: I would've preferred a slightly busier-looking dial - maybe if they had retained the contrasting Trident badge, it would've looked better.

Smoother Bezel Rotation: The good thing is that there is no wiggle in the rotating bezel - one mark of a high quality divers' watch. The downside to that is that it's so tight that it can be difficult to rotate. It's also loud.

Rounded Crystal: Although beautiful in its own right, I would've liked to see an ever so slightly-domed crystal, instead of a flat one.

Link to picture in another thread: http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... =2&t=42496

Please feel free to share your own views and ask any questions you might have about the watch and the experience.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: C60 Trident Date-Date COSC | Impressions

Post by Kip »

Thanks so much for posting your thoughts on this model.

This watch is light compared to the C60 Trident Chronograph or the C60 Trident COSC (SH21).
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
AE41500
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by AE41500 »

Owned this watch for 5 days now and used it on my wrist since that. Consultant figures everything out very well, nothing to add except that I have nothing "What I Would Rather Experience" to tell at moment :D . So very satisfied!
Measured it since 48 hrs now and it is +5-6 sec.s. Will come back with further info. ahead.
AE41500
Junior
Junior

Post by AE41500 »

Still as satisfied as first week \:D/
+17 sec. in a week.
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

Consultant wrote:
Busier-Looking Dial: I would've preferred a slightly busier-looking dial - maybe if they had retained the contrasting Trident badge, it would've looked better.

Smoother Bezel Rotation: The good thing is that there is no wiggle in the rotating bezel - one mark of a high quality divers' watch. The downside to that is that it's so tight that it can be difficult to rotate. It's also loud.
Thanks for the read, Consultant. I am awaiting my own example, so read your impressions with some interest. Your remarks on a busier dial struck me, because from the website photos, the busyness of the dial was a slight negative to me, preferring instead the simpler version of bezel and dial found on the non COSC versions. We'll see when it gets here, as a thing in hand is, as so many report, quite different that looking at photos of the critter. The Day Date was also a selling point for me, even as it creates an imbalance, in my opinion.

As to the bezel tightness, the bezel of my Rolex Sub would develop a stubborn character from time to time. To free it up, I shot it with with WD40 or the like, and it would then turn more easily. I have no idea if that was good for the mechanism or whatever seals might be involved, so am not recommending it as a procedure without some assurance that it would do no harm, but it worked for me. Still, I assume that as a new piece, your watch would come with sufficient lubrication. From reading reviews, the recalcitrant nature of the bezel seems to be characteristic of the breed.
Gregory
AE41500
Junior
Junior

Post by AE41500 »

Have used it daily now and it is +59 sec. last 4 weeks. Just appr. manual 20 windings every 5-6 day, nothing more.
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

Good review. I tend to have a love hate relationship with day dates. I love the fact it is a chronometer.
pljwork

Post by pljwork »

Great looking watch (C60 Trident Day Date).
Loses too much time. Returned to CW (at a cost to me of £12 !!) - Chased to confirm they received it !.

They confirmed it was working fine - only losing a second a day but that they could try to make some improvements for £30 !!.
Suggested the watch was not fully wound (really - because I wouldn't ensure that was done when I was checking the time keeping !).
Not sure you could improve much on -1 second a day and I would be very happy with that.

Reality is more than 4 seconds a day lost. Not acceptable when they tout a COSC rating !.
Customer service truly shocking - chasing for responses all the time and incredible levels of apathy !
Turn around times to send watch back unbelievably slow !!

The watch though looks amazing. Bracelet feels quality. Day complication makes this stand out for sure.

If only it was more reliable. Personally I would rather have a watch that gained 6 seconds a day than one that lost even 1 (let alone more than 4).

Customer service have soured my first experience of CW watches and I doubt I will be back for more.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I can't speak to your communications issues, but you should have been reimbursed for shipping if you returned the watch.

Despite your personal preferences, it sounds like the watch was was operating within COSC specs which are -4/+6'per day. Albeit on the outside edge, but perfectly acceptable. How did it compare to the COSC certificate included with the watch?

How long was the turnaround time? Slow compared to what you expected or slower than what they told you. Depending on the issue, time of year and volume, turnaround times seem to run between 4 to 12 weeks.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
pljwork

Post by pljwork »

Hi,

I was told I would be reimbursed and sent a photo of the receipt but that reimbursement never happened.

I haven't checked the certificate (TBH I didn't think of that) so thanks for the advice - I'll compare what I'm seeing day to day with what that says and what CW said.

As for turnaround times being slow then I guess I am talking nonsense really given the whole sorry saga took 25 days but it was the lack of response saying the watch had arrived and was under test that put the 'perception' in my head I guess.

6th July - contacted enquiries with my concerns about the accuracy.
6th July - Andrew Metcalfe responds saying if it is losing more than 4 seconds it is outside tolerance and they will need the watch back to inspect.
6th July - I responded to Andrew asking if I could have it checked out.
7th July - Joe Davidson replies saying a request to send a returns package has been put through.
13th July - Returns Envelope arrives with instructions for the return.
14th July - Take watch to Post Office to be told not pre-paid so I paid the £12 and posted it back then emailed Joe to this effect.
14th July - Joe replies saying if I send receipt they will refund.
14th July - I reply with a photo of the receipt.
21st July - Having heard nothing from CW to confirm they had received the watch I email asking if it arrived.
24th July - Having still had no response chased again.
25th July - Laura Brown replied confirming CW had had the watch on test for the last few days and it was found to be within tolerance. But telling me they could look to improve on the timekeeping but that would cost me £30.
25th July - I reply saying the watch had been fully wound, also restating the fact I had paid £12 to send it and restating it had been delayed a month in the first place and asked if I was able to return for a refund as I was not happy with the timekeeping.
26th July - Laura replied saying the watch was losing 1 second a day and that they wouldn't be able to process a refund as they have found no fault and it is not in pristine unused condition.
26th July - I asked to return.
26th July - Also added I plan to have this tested independently (when I find someone to do this !)
27th July - Email from Laura saying the watch will be returned.
28th July - Email saying watch despatched and on its way.
31st July - Watch arrived.

Don't get me wrong - the watch is great overall - just that one small detail around accuracy that bugs me but then I guess I'm being unrealistic (Spoil I suppose having had Quartz watches mostly). If it was fast then I would have no issue as I would only ever be early :-)

Anyway - no point me harping on about this - decision made and I respect that but despite how tempted I am to buy another CW watch (even though the new C9 - P2725 looks amazing) I will think back on my somewhat soured first experience.

Thanks for your reply though.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

How are you storing the watch?

It should run faster dial up.

The COSC certificate will have timing for each position, so store it which ever way is fastest.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
pljwork

Post by pljwork »

Just checked the COSC certificate that came with the watch and it makes interesting reading.

If I am reading it correctly.
Day 14 & 15 it was tested vertically 6 o'clock up. The results were a loss of 4.56 and 4.52. Now that is how the watch sits on the wrist for me most of the day. How can CW claim that it works within tolerance when most of the time it is in a position to lose more time than COSC certifications allow and in fact how can it be given certification when 2 of the tests fall outside the permitted range ?

Great lets take the average times so if ever I walk around with my hand bent back and arm above my head it only loses .45 seconds a day - Problem solved !. What a joke.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

pljwork wrote:Just checked the COSC certificate that came with the watch and it makes interesting reading.

Day 14 & 15 it was tested vertically 6 o'clock up. The results were a loss of 4.56 and 4.52. Now that is how the watch sits on the wrist for me most of the day. How can CW claim that it works within tolerance when most of the time it is in a position to lose more time than COSC certifications allow and in fact how can it be given certification when 2 of the tests fall outside the permitted range ?

Great lets take the average times so if ever I walk around with my hand bent back and arm above my head it only loses .45 seconds a day - Problem solved !. What a joke.
Worth bearing in mind, IIRC, that the COSC certificate it provided based on tests on the movement, before installation into the watch.

Additionally, the watch will now have been subject to daily wear and tear, including postal transit to you, which can potentially upset the movement and its ability to keep time.

If you're not happy with it, perhaps you should contact CWL to discuss and arrange to return the watch to them for regulating.

Hope this helps.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

I have a Trident COSC SH21, it can gain 5 or 6 seconds a day when it's sat in a watch box but when worn keeps perfect time. I do appreciate yours is a different movement however.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

pljwork wrote:
Just checked the COSC certificate that came with the watch and it makes interesting reading.

It is within COSC levels, otherwise it wouldn't have a certificate.

Why not store the watch in a position that gains time over night e.g. dial up?

I think you are expecting too much from a mechanical watch.
Or buy an Omega or Rolex who have better standards that COSC.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph