Do others see what we see?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Do others see what we see?

Post by jkbarnes »

The thread with the JOMW review of the C63 Auto got me thinking about how we as watch enthusiasts perceive watches versus non-enthusiasts. I look at the black dialed C63 Auto and see a watch completely different from my C65 Trident Vintage. The black dials are different, the batons are significantly different, the lume is different, the hand sets are different, the cases are dramatically different, the date window is different, and the logos are different.

But if I were to buy that watch, my wife would ask why I got a new watch that looks just like my other watch! All she’d see is a black dial and baton markers - same watches!

Anyone else experience this?
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Re: Do others see what we see?

Post by missF »

It's a bit like me when it comes to cars - 'oh, you got another red one'...... :lol:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

My wife often tells me “all your watches look the same”, and that’s helped me out a few times, even when they incoming looks nothing like others in my collection.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I'm sure that Ferdinand Marcos had similar thoughts about Imelda's shoe collection.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Almost certainly not...

my most recent (AM GT 1VEV) was immediately declared the same as both by C7 Rapides (Auto and Quartz)... by mrs gannet and mother gannet...

I don't actually think mrs gannet realises I've got 2 C7's ... (few!)
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

missF wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:13 pm It's a bit like me when it comes to cars - 'oh, you got another red one'...... :lol:
:lol: There is a watch in my vintage box that sums up my thinking about motorcars: “Enicar”! :D

At one time, when I was very much into vintage watches, I seem to be lining up a lot of very similar little watches from around the same period. I still have a few of those, but I stopped collecting them, or should I say buying them, quite a while back.

I’ve said on a couple of recent threads that I have (I accept that it’s more by chance them by design) managed to achieve a degree of diversity in my watch box. The more I think of it, the more I wouldn’t have it any other way. In my “modern” box of nine, the only real repetitions are the two C70s, but even they are quite different beasts.

We had the “Collections within Collections” thread that was really along these lines. We have enjoyed seeing them and hearing about them; but I will still back my personal notion that there is enough of interest out there as far as I’m concerned to keep me happy with my somewhat diverse group.

Do others see what we see? Absolutely not, in most cases.

A couple of years ago, on one of my annual Christmas and New Year singles trips to Cyprus, I noticed a chap in the group who was wearing a fairly small and rather tasteful bracelet watch. After a couple of days I casually said “Vintage Air-King?”

He was rather taken aback. “No-one has ever identified it before!” he said. Turns out he had bought it years back from a watch dealer for £600. Nice catch. But the point is that to absolutely everyone else, it was just a watch. In fact, no one else would really notice if someone was wearing a watch or not. We have trained our minds to look at wrists and make assessments based thereon! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I'd bet that any enthusiast of anything could use that thread title. I drive a S3 Land Rover. To people who don't 'get it', it's an old wreck. To those that do, it's ... "WOW".
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Ironically I have the opposite issue and my wife has asked me not to sell certain watches as she like the look of the one possibly departing! She could name the brands of my watches and describe the dials for sure.

as an example, I'm sure I could look at Kip's golf clubs (versus mine) and not see a huge difference but the technology in his will be far superior to my 17 year old set!

If you're dialled into something then every nuance is noticed and important to the viewer
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

exHowfener wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:01 pm I'd bet that any enthusiast of anything could use that thread title. I drive a S3 Land Rover. To people who don't 'get it', it's an old wreck. To those that do, it's ... "WOW".
Viognier wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:57 pm ...If you're dialled into something then every nuance is noticed and important to the viewer
Very true. My first wife didn’t understand why I had multiple electric guitars. My current wife looks in my closet and thinks, “You have a lot of brown shoes.”
Drew
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Viognier wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:57 pm
as an example, I'm sure I could look at Kip's golf clubs (versus mine) and not see a huge difference but the technology in his will be far superior to my 17 year old set!
I am guessing that the grooves in your clubs are just a tad worn. That difference would be obvious against 1 year clubs. :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.