Watches and politics

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Watches and politics

Post by strapline »

Is there a link between the two? Perhaps it's not politics, more the approach to how you lead your life. How you view things in general. Do you see your politics/how you view things in a more conservative way; are you quite measured, ordered, not one for bucking the status quo? Perhaps you're more liberal in your thinking/politics and approach to life? A little less risk adverse, a bit more open to new things. Then there's the centre ground, the happy medium, those not wishing to drift out towards the fringes and, God forbid, be labelled extreme.

What might give these things away in your watch choices? Well, here are a few determiners that I can think of: The brand you choose to wear, the watch size, dial colours, case shapes, the strap or bracelet you wear it on...oh, and the price. Do you feel more comfortable keeping up with the Jones's or are you more than comfortable to pick away on a tasting plate of foreign dishes that you can't pronounce.

Our buying habits, in general, reveal a lot about us; as we all know by now a whole industry has sprung up with the advent of the internet. Do you think your watch choices reveal more about you than the fact that you like to be reasonably punctual? Perhaps there's nothing more to be taken than you like a nice watch on your wrist?

What are your thoughts? And remember, it's just a bit of fun. :lol:
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Watches and politics

Post by jkbarnes »

Interesting post. I’ll need to think on this a bit before responding in full.
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An interesting post Des - in which you make a number of observations. :thumbup:

I will give some thought to a reply. :)

However in the meantime, given that you are the OP, what are your views on the topic? Yes you have made a few observations, but to raise the topic, you must have in mind that certain brands are indicative of certain leanings or traits? Would you care to share?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

An interesting approach.

I agree you can read quite a bit about personality from the collections, flipping, buying and posting.

Not sure if there is a connection to political views.
Bjørn
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Now then, chaps, a word of caution. Those who have read the Forum Rules (as you all have, of course) will know that we do not allow discussion of politics or religion (rule 1.3)

So whilst this might seem to be a bit of fun, we must be very careful to avoid making statements about our own political beliefs and allegiances, or making assumptions about those of other members.

I for one would not take kindly to anyone making assumptions about my politics based on the watches I choose to wear.

Anyway, do have fun with it, but stay within the rules. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I think it’s a similar situation to many other aspects of life. It has an effect, along with all your other life experiences that flavor your general outlook on life.

The country you live in likely has a similar or even greater affect. I can’t quote facts, but it appears to me that Americans tend to be more likely to accumulate debt and less afraid of accumulating more debt than other countries? Which means living above your means watch-wise. For us watchies. Maybe I’m way off base. Who knows.

Thought provoking, and far too complex to nail down any specifics I think.

EDIT: Did basic research (Wikipedia lol) and found that USA is 4th in household debt as compared to GDP, behind South Korea (#1), UK (#2 :o ) and Hong Kong. Sorry, kind of off topic to politics but it’s where my mind went when posed with the question.

SORRY, ANOTHER EDIT:
Found a new article showing USA is #1 in credit card debt by far, followed by Canada, UK, Japan, and Germany.

We’re number 1! Woo! :kg:
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

nbg wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:02 pm An interesting post Des - in which you make a number of observations. :thumbup:

I will give some thought to a reply. :)

However in the meantime, given that you are the OP, what are your views on the topic? Yes you have made a few observations, but to raise the topic, you must have in mind that certain brands are indicative of certain leanings or traits? Would you care to share?

Neil
Hi Neil... Actually when I came up with the post I wasn't thinking about any brand in particular, and I don't have any overly strong view on any one particular brand. I think I was probably thinking more about my own watch buying habits. When I say politics I don't mean leaning to one political party over another; I'm more suggesting the actions that are implied by certain party names. Are your tastes a little more liberal/flamboyant, say. Maybe you're more traditional/conservative in your watch buying habits and choices. I'm certainly NOT trying to stoke a political discussion...nothing of the sort in fact.

I do think that a watch serves as a mirror of sorts to how we perceive ourselves. A lot of people hold the same view about what type of car a person drives. But to answer your question a little more directly, I think there are aspects of my watch choices that are a bit more progressive, a bit more modern...the fact that I like larger watches 41mm+, the fact that I really enjoy and seek out differing microbrands. Then there are the more traditional/conservative sides of watch making I like. I love Roman numerals, I'm not a fan of garish dial colours, I love a well made leather strap.

Hope this helps. And, as I've said, this post is not about POLITICAL PERSUASIONS.

Des
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

strapline wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:55 pm And, as I've said, this post is not about POLITICAL PERSUASIONS.
On behalf of the Admin Team, Des, yes I pretty much thought that. However, because of the title I thought it would be wise to post a reminder; threads on this and other forums do tend to develop a life of their own.

Your last post was really interesting; I’ll get my head around thinking through my own situation. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
Thanks Steve...just had some time to spare.

D
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

An interesting post Des.

I suspect the psychology of watch choice falls among a category common among all aspects of life where we have a free choice over form and not constrained by needing to conform to a particular function. The same will be true of, say, clothing- where unencumbered by function (protective firefighter clothing or military disruptive patterns) we are allowed to consider fashion and style (or lack of in my case)- not because we have to, but because we can.

In everyday life there will be few watch choices which must be contstrained by function so we permit ourselves to choose what feels right. Whether that satisfaction felt is a direct extension or reflection of personality or is limited by an unconscious desire to conform is another matter and I suspect for most people (myself included) that's somewhat irrelevent because either will fire the same set of responses- fulfillment and contentment at a conscious level and a dopamine hit at the chemical.

Personally, the watches I choose, the fashion I adopt, the characteristics I look for are likely an extension of the same personality traits I adopt in other choices. Subdued, functional, engineered. Looking around me I have my North Flag- solid, toolish, happy to blend into the background yet exquisitly designed for clarity and function, a G-shock and a EB Holton for rugged preparedness yet staid, probably a bit boring. I have some lovely other watches also, but putting them on tends to be a conscious decision made just before I go out and dependent on frame of mind.

So, yes, I think there are deeper aspects to one's collection than immediately meets the eye but whether we acknowledge the choices we make are intrinsically coupled with other choices in life is something that we probably rarely think about. Indeed, a perceptive and accurate view are observations more likely to come from others.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

I have one watch with the logo on the left, several with the logo in the centre but none with the logo on the right.

They are all pretty standard with little extravagance which is consistent with other choices I generally make in life. I don't own any bright outlandish clothes either. It could be called timeless and classic or boring depending upon the viewpoint :lol: .

I have considered a bright nato on occassion but something has always stopped me despite seeing some examples of how great they can look on this forum. Maybe it is time to be more daring!
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

This is an interesting thread. I have to be boring and say as a "thick" northerner I dont vote for what my family generations did etc. I vote for what I think is the best party with the best policies.

When it comes to watches I just like the ones that relate to my moods (not political ones to date) mainly good and happy moods. I believe life is too short for hatred and bad emotion. I want happiness, friendship and love in my life as much as possible altho I miss all 3 of these currently but I hope that can change in the future :-(
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

richtel wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:54 pm An interesting post Des.

Personally, the watches I choose, the fashion I adopt, the characteristics I look for are likely an extension of the same personality traits I adopt in other choices. Subdued, functional, engineered. Looking around me I have my North Flag- solid, toolish, happy to blend into the background yet exquisitly designed for clarity and function, a G-shock and a EB Holton for rugged preparedness yet staid, probably a bit boring.
Thanks for the considered reply, Rich.

You mention your choices - subdued, functional, engineered - and then go on to describe a nearby watch, an EB Holton, as staid. Some might say your own descriptions and choice sounds a little conservative, a little grey, but certainly very 'function' driven. Personally I see something of the bold and daring in your choice of the North Flag; an integrated case and strap isn't for everyone, nor strong yellow accents and an unusual RR indicator. It would suggest someone happy to explore unconventional, but knowing that the watch packs heavyweight credentials.

Then there's the G-Shock, which suggests a very function thinking mindset, but also a certain careless/carefree approach. There's street cred too, a youthful exuberance...a sense of embracing the modern, of progression, liberation even.

Like you alluded, it's probably for other people to make more sense of your watch choices. I do believe, in many ways, watch choice is like holding up a mirror to a person.

Des
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I personally don’t see any link between my political leanings and my watch buying preferences. I feel my love of watches is down more to the engineering and craftsmanship behind them which stems more from my education and career choice than my political beliefs.

Back in the mid 90s as a student, I had the (mis)fortune to share a house with someone doing a politics degree. His friends from his course used to regularly meet up to discuss their particular thoughts on the issues of the day. The arguments it used to start put me off discussing politics for life. To this day I have a rule with my closest friends to not offer my opinion, or wish to hear theirs when it comes to politics. This probably explains why I’ve got great friends I’ve known for decades who I’ve never had a cross word with.

Coming back to the idea that political ideals influence other aspects, I am reminded of a book I read on the Jamaican underworld. I learned that at one time the island had two main beers, Red Stripe and Heineken. Now the two main political parties of the day had red and green as their colours and people would only drink the beer which was the colour of their party. To order the wrong beer in the wrong part of town could lead to disastrous consequences. Possibly another reason to keep politics out of non connected events.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I like blue dialled watches but I don't like red dialled watches.

Not sure at all sure what that says about me.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)