Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Decent Speakers / Soundbar Recommendations For A Tablet

Post by malvern_man »

Hi all,

I have just signed up for Spotify premium and I am looking for some speaker or soundbar recommendations please.

I've got the app on my Windows 10 laptop which has Bluetooth and a 3.5mm headphone connection. I also have the app on 2 Samsung Galaxy tablets, one has both Bluetooth and a 3.5mm headphone connection but my new Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus doesn't have a headphone connection, for some unknown reason Samsung have decided to do away with it, I do have a Samsung USB C to 3.5mm connector, which they don't supply in the box...oh what a surprise.

So, I am after some decent speakers or a soundbar with preferably both Bluetooth and a 3.5mm jack plug, failing that I'll get 2 sets, one Bluetooth and one with a jack plug, and rechargeable if possible as I don't want any that have to be mains powered. I have been using my sons X Mini speakers linked together but they aren't far enough apart for a true stereo sound.

Regards, Chris.
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Re: Decent Speakers / Soundbar Recommendations For A Tablet

Post by Soporsche »

Depends on usage but for Bluetooth and flexibility, Ultimate Ears speakers are very versatile and tough (inc waterproof). You can buy multiple for stereo/surround. We have them in several rooms and for outdoor use. Sound is good for what they are but we're not talking Audiophile fidelity levels..
For that I would use multiple input digital tuner and then any choice of speakers from the known brands (Wharfedale etc.)
I always find Richer Sounds helpful re these things.
Re the Samsung phone, you can get a short micro usb to 3.5mm converter cable if you want to plug into more substantial speakers with their own inbuilt amp.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Check out the Marshall range. They offer Bluetooth & wired, have a variety of sizes from tiny to huge, and the quality is excellent. Look great too.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Samsung and others are phasing out 3.5mm jacks for good reason - AptX/HD via Bluetooth is more than enough for streamed audio, plus it helps with the water/splash resistance of the phone/tablet.

What sort of budget are you looking at? Do you want just one device or a pair of speakers for stereo? Definitely take a look at reviews of Bluetooth speakers on WhatHifi, Engadget etc for a range of options - starting at https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/best ... ery-budget
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

You don't mention a budget. Sonos is great, I have a few speakers and no need for bluetooth or jack as they wirelessly link to your home wifi. The phones or tablet is simply a control device as the Sonos speaker pulls the music you tell it to directly from the internet through Spotify.
Gordon
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Another vote for sonos here...

They've even just released a portable one : roam
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Do you have a regular hi-fi?

If so a Bluetooth widget from Inatech, I've got the BR1008 about £25 from Amazon, will give you connectivity. Then play your phone / tablet through that.

Otherwise, as Stephen has suggested, an Ultimate Ears Bluetooth speaker is great quality/sound/value with decent battery life.

I've had one for a few years and it's great to use on holiday in a cottage.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Decent Speakers / Soundbar Recommendations For A Table

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

You might be as well to look at the ‘don’t buy’ list and just avoid anything rated as ‘poor’. To be honest, I have a range of speakers from different manufacturers and they’re all great! The only exception is if you a true music connoisseur and have subscribed to highest bitrate, lossless services in which case you may want to go for a highly recommended unit. If possible, I’d recommend ‘Which?’ Or Richer Sounds for sound advice on products to go for and products to avoid.

I have Denon, JBL, Panasonic! Q and Samsung etc and all get good ratings and all work well.

I opted for Samsung home system over Sonos as I prefer to have the flexibility of Bluetooth rather than being solely hooked in to WiFi.

Good luck - there’s some great options out there at all price points.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

I have a pair of Sonos One speakers. They are £199 each and sound great on their own, as they use witchcraft to project a stereo sound. However, if you buy two, they can be set up to work as a genuine stereo pair and sound great. They work via wifi and use various streaming apps. They can be bought with or without voice activation (Google and/or Amazon). The non voice activated version comes out a little cheaper too.
Steve.
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by malvern_man »

** Update **

I've just taken delivery of 2 Sonos One Gen 2 speakers, both now set up and paired together for stereo sound. Only had a quick blast but I'm very impressed with the sound quality, my favourite melodic death metal bands sound awesome through them.

I've set up the Sonos app on both my Android tablets as I have Spotify installed on both of them.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

Regards, Chris.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

malvern_man wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:40 pm ** Update **

I've just taken delivery of 2 Sonos One Gen 2 speakers, both now set up and paired together for stereo sound. Only had a quick blast but I'm very impressed with the sound quality, my favourite melodic death metal bands sound awesome through them.

I've set up the Sonos app on both my Android tablets as I have Spotify installed on both of them.

Regards, Chris.
Great stuff. I’m sure you’ll enjoy them. I’m very impressed with mine. Don’t forget that they’ll “bed” in and sound better as they age.
Steve.
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Once spotify knows about your speakers you don't always need the sonos app on every device you want to use ;)
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

I was literally just reading this thread and thinking my Bose Sountouch 30 III would be almost perfect for you but then got to the last 2 post and your sorted.

Congrats on the Sonos pair. :thumbup:
:clap:
Graham
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes

Post by paw3001 »

malvern_man wrote:** Update **

Regards, Chris.
Great choice.

Plus you can add/upgrade as you see fit. Add a Sonos subwoofer to improve the low end amazingly.

Then if You every need a full on Dolby ATMOS surround system that still plays fantastic music then you can add a Sonos Arc

Of course, it all adds up in costs and there are many less expensive options but 2 SL and a sun would be hard to beat.

Just remember to set Spotify to stream at their highest quality level!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watches - Too many but not enough!
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by malvern_man »

gannet wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 pm Once spotify knows about your speakers you don't always need the sonos app on every device you want to use ;)

Thanks for the info, I've now got my speakers running through the Spotify app :thumbup: