LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Proud dad bragging a bit

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Top notch Andrew's son.

Dad feeling chuffing to bits.

I guess he'll be moving away from home, enjoy the solitude while it lasts Andrew.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:10 pm
With his interest in business and finance, my parents and I have decided to fund a brokerage account for him as a graduation gift. As part of that I’m going to ask him to wrap his modest collection of savings bond into that account to give him some personal “buy in.” It seems like a perfect gift, and I think he’ll really enjoy them whole experience of managing his own modest investments.
Sounds like a thoughtful and purposeful gift, perfect for him! Congrats to him on the acceptance!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Congrats, JKB! Great news!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

You have every reason to be proud. I remember when my kids were accepted to college. It is a bag of mixed feelings, but proud is aloud and so is the bragging!

Congrats to your son!!
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Congratulations to your son, Andrew. I wish him all the best for the future.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Thank you for all the kind words everyone! It’s been over 9 hours since he shared the news, and it still gets me emotional.

What’s funny is I’m having a stronger reaction to my son getting accepted to school than I did with my daughter, and she was admitted early and received a personal phone call from an associate dean of admissions. For whatever reason, I worry about my son more, so my reactions are stronger.
Drew
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I echo much of what has been written, all the very best wishes to your son and for his future.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

I will always remember the words of my then boss when my first son was born (31 years ago!) - "However good it feels right now, Bob, it gets better and better". He was right, of course.

Parenting is the toughest gig we ever face, the most challenging but also one filled with unbounded joy. Many congratulations to your son, Andrew, and the same to you, also. May both your hearts rightly fill with pride.

I look forward to reading about his successes in the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times in the years ahead! :D
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Congratulations to your son! It’s exciting to see the horizon expand with opportunities and experiences.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Again, thank you for the words of support and encouragement from everybody!

My son has decided to accept the offer of admission this week and not wait to hear from the other school he applied to. I’m thrilled by his decision because I think this school is perfect fit for him when I reflect back on the many students I’ve taught who have gone on to study there.

So I’m proud to announce that my son will be attending Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia, in the fall! Added bonus: Richmond is a fantastic city with a great food and craft beer scene. Some of my closest friends live in Richmond, and my brother and his wife will be retiring there in the near future. So lots of reasons to be heading down to Richmond now!

(We’ll just chose to ignore that it was the capital of the Confederacy.)
Drew
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

Are the rest of us also able to join in this good news with our own "proud bits?"
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

jimbo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:36 pm Are the rest of us also able to join in this good news with our own "proud bits?"
Please do! I imagine the title “Proud dad bragging a bit” can apply to a great many of us!
Drew
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

Well in that case....

My son will shortly be joining in his Grandfathers, mothers, and fathers' footsteps and be joining the Police.

His Grandfather was in the South Yorkshire Constabulary, and he will join Hampshire either in July or November.

His Grandfather was in the Police at a time where "political correctness" was yet to have been invented (See a great TV series "Life on Mars") and you will understand :)

My wife and I joined just at the start of "PACE" where things changed a bit for the old sweats, but it was what we joined with.

Some 30 years later the boys and girls in the thin Blue line have a very different and difficult task compared to our day.

His mother is still in, and I am hoping they can have a photo together in uniform.

JK's part of the world polices very different to the police here where even now the vast majority of the police are not armed. ( when i joined up in 1990 my constabulary didn't even issue handcuffs as they thought they were not really necessary!!) ( we bought our own).

The female police officers were only allowed to wear trousers on night shift, and made to carry a handbag around.

Like JK I am proud of him managing to get in despite his youth (20) and limited experience of life. ( Strangely he has already said he will not take advice from me!! haha :lol: )

The great thing for the police over here now is that the probation course they now do is a "degree" course, so after 3 years he will get a degree out of it, without all the fee's and expense "normal" students have to pay, whilst being paid..... result
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

jimbo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:31 pm Well in that case....

My son will shortly be joining in his Grandfathers, mothers, and fathers' footsteps and be joining the Police...
Outstanding! Congratulations to your son. And you must be thrilled to see him carrying on a family tradition.
Drew
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

Congratulations to both you, Andrew, and you also, Jimbo. And to your sons as well.

Tom
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE