Personal Engraving?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Personal Engraving?

Post by jkbarnes »

I’m curious where people stand on engraving of watches. And I don’t mean the decorative engraving of the whole case, but having something of personal note engraved on the case back of a special watch.

My wife had my C65 Trident Vintage engraved. When I ordered the C65 AM GT LE as a birthday watch, I would have had it engraved had it been available as an option.

For special watches with personal meaning, I’m a fan of engraving. If the watch becomes a family heirloom, I think the engraving will take on even more significance.

I still have the engraved Hamilton my parents gave me for HS graduation (since passed on to my wife). And I regret not getting the watch I bought my daughter engraved, although I can still do that.
Drew
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Personal Engraving?

Post by H0rati0 »

I do not engrave - the sentiment comes from vintage pocket watches where, generally speaking, the value is diminished by personal engraving.

But in a family setting I can see the attraction.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

In my experience, as far as value goes, on watches it doesn't matter as long as it is done well. That aside, I don't have any engraved at the moment. I have toyed with engraving my 1675 but I am not sure what I would put on it. Maybe my initials in nice script but don't know.

As an aside, I was listening to a podcast the other day (I don't remember which one) but they mentioned someone who engraved 'Not For Sale' on their Rolex. I thought that was pretty funny. :lol: John Mayer had the Grateful Dead skull engraved on one he wore when he toured with them. Then of course there is the famous 'Drive Slowly' on Paul Newman's Daytona.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have only one engraved watch: a gold Smiths Astral given in 1965 as a long service award to a chap who worked for an engineering firm in Portsmouth.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

5AB110C8-EB0B-4C36-B8D8-9B3486235FE0.jpeg
I think an engraving can be really nice on a watch, if done well. But, it's a bit like a tattoo, you should be sure before starting out on the process. I got a custom made Elliot Brown watch for my 50th; I was in quite a bit of negotiation with the company over what I wanted. I knew I wanted something unique to me, a limited edition of 'one' no less. The caseback was engraved with a light gold font that matches the colour of the winding wheel, as well as the decorative crest on the rotor. Not only is the watch truly one of a kind but, without wishing to sound smug, it could equally refer to its wearer. So...I like an engraving, in the right circumstances, and with the right sentiment behind it.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
cwa
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

strapline wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:40 pm So...I like an engraving, in the right circumstances, and with the right sentiment behind it.

Des
I think that’s the essence of it right there.
Drew
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I have three engraved watches:
1) A Garrard presentation watch that was given to an Uncle for 20 years service with I.C.I. They included his National Service in that, which I've always thought was rather nice.
2) A 9ct gold watch that I bought second hand as a dress watch. Presented to some bloke by Ford for long service.
3) A quartz pocket watch given to me by my wife for our silver wedding (10 years ago!).

For me, the value in 1 & 3 IS in the engraving rather than the watch. The value in 2 is probably in the gold. and I doubt the engraving impacts that.

If I ever buy a CW Sandhurst, I will have it engraved with my service number and Corps initials, I generally buy watches to keep so I don't really care about the impact on resale value.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

exHowfener wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:59 pm If I ever buy a CW Sandhurst, I will have it engraved with my service number and Corps initials, I generally buy watches to keep so I don't really care about the impact on resale value.
That would be a nice touch. I don't think it would impact value at all.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I wouldn't ordinarily get engraving done on a watch, but I do have an early 1950s Roidor that was a Long Service award, 25 years, to my Grandfather from The Distillers Company.

My Father later wore it as his daily watch for a number of years.

Watch value c. £50. I saw one on eBay some years ago. Value to me? Priceless.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England