Which pieces are sacrosanct, never to be risked?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

After reading TheBeatles thread about All In or Fold, I thought I would pose a question inspired by it.

A quick summary of the thread: would you risk your ENTIRE collection to acquire your grail watch? It was an all or nothing consideration - not some of your collection, not most of your collection, but the entire collection. It’s worth pointing out this wasn’t about would you trade your whole collection for the grail, but would you risk losing it to get the grail - you walk away from the table with your collection AND the grail or nothing! Would you take that risk?

My answer was no because there are watches in my modest collection I’d never risk losing and because I don’t really have a grail watch anyway, so it’s a moot point.

So here’s my question: If you WOULD NOT take that risk, what are the watches in your collection that you would never part with, that are too important or valuable to you to ever risk losing? And what’s the story behind them?

For me, it’s two watches (nearly half my modest collection!):
C65 Trident Vintage (Mk 1): This was a wedding gift from my wife, making it invaluable and irreplaceable. Sure, I could always find another example, but it wouldn’t be that one.

C65 AM GT LE: This was a 50th birthday gift from the family with a serial number reflecting my actual birthday. Again, invaluable and irreplaceable.

Admittedly, not the most exciting backstories, but I’m sure many can relate. So let’s hear it everybody. What are some of the fascinating backstories to some of your pieces that’d you never part with or even risk parting with?
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Which pieces are sacrosanct, never to be risked?

Post by JAFO »

I think in the end it comes down to the pieces that aren't merely watches, but represent more than that. For the most part they are going to be family related things and not necessarily the most valuable. You would like to think that your wife's engagement ring is more significant than other jewellery for the same reason. The other class of importance for watches is the grail piece, which is equally sacrosanct, but for different reasons. I am not sure you would have a grail item of jewellery in quite the same way, as jewellery tends to be individual and not branded. You've shown guitars in various photos, Andrew, and I can certainly imagine you having a grail guitar that you would never part with.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Almost everything in my collection has some memories associated with it. But there are 2 that I could never replace.

GMT-Master 1675. To me there were no other watches on the planet only the GMT-Master. It was my daily wear for 25+ years. It holds the experiences of the 13 years of its life before I had it. I don't know how it ended up at the AD where I purchased it but I sometimes wonder how/why its owner parted with it and why they had it to begin with.

Super Compressor. This one is new but it was a milestone birthday present from my wife and I love the watch.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 pm You've shown guitars in various photos, Andrew, and I can certainly imagine you having a grail guitar that you would never part with.
That’s an excellent point of comparison! I definitely have one that I would never part with, and it’s not the most expensive one. All the rest I could let go with no regrets and probably not even much thought if the price was right. Hell, just last month I GAVE one away!
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 pm
JAFO wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 pm You've shown guitars in various photos, Andrew, and I can certainly imagine you having a grail guitar that you would never part with.
That’s an excellent point of comparison! I definitely have one that I would never part with, and it’s not the most expensive one. All the rest I could let go with no regrets and probably not even much thought if the price was right. Hell, just last month I GAVE one away!
You might have created a keeper guitar for someone else! Nice job!
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

No exciting backstories from me either, but I have four that I couldn’t possibly part with. The first is something of an homage that my dad got for his 21st birthday. Although he was happy to pass it on, how could I?
8D21FF6A-96B7-4CA9-9FFE-DDEF134B1775.jpeg
The others are a CW Super Compressor and Seiko Kinetic that my wife bought me and an Oris that we impulse bought together. Sentimental attachment aside, if I even thought about selling any of them, she’d have my cobblers for earrings!
3D7E190F-5884-4AF6-8CBA-CE4845EE0084.jpeg
C1BA101C-41BB-4CEA-8985-E70A638E7D41.jpeg
0D16FD20-CEEE-41CF-873F-79E95B70C85A.jpeg
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:50 pm You might have created a keeper guitar for someone else! Nice job!
Possibly, but this particular guitar isn’t exactly a keeper kind of guitar. I gave it to a college buddy because I know he’ll play it regularly and really appreciate it. My only stipulation was that he pay it forward by passing it on to someone else if he ever tires of it.*

*that, and he agreed to help me draft a will. He’s a lawyer. :lol:
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

No surprises from me. I have a couple of vintage pieces I'm very attached to, but basically it's these two.

Both bought as mementos with money inherited: the Cartier in February 2016 in memory of my uncle; the Omega in March 2017 in memory of my mother.
tank and speedy.jpg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:00 pm No surprises from me. I have a couple of vintage pieces I'm very attached to, but basically it's these two.

Both bought as mementos with money inherited: the Cartier in February 2016 in memory of my uncle; the Omega in March 2017 in memory of my mother.

tank and speedy.jpg
That’s a lovely story to be able to buy those in memory of loved ones.

I’m curious if you had them engraved as part of that tribute. My wife got my wedding gift watch engraved. At the time I bought the birthday watch, engraving wasn’t shown as an option. I probably would have if I could have.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ I didn’t get them engraved, Andrew. It’s sufficient for me that I know why I bought them.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I find that there’s nothing sacrosanct in my collection. I have in the past been sentimental about my C11, because of the time in my life when I bought it. But i’ve been through more interesting times since. I would sell it now if it doesn’t get worn because i’m More sentimental about the thought of watches lying unworn. Watches need to be worn. It’s in their soul to be so.

I have no family timepieces to confuse this picture, though, so who knows? I wore a watch right through high school that belonged to my grandfather, and if I came across it again would be loathe to part with it. But not for any sentimental reasons - just because it was a really cool watch!
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I don’t have an extensive collection, and I have also never sold a watch. I’ve gifted a few for various reasons. There are several I’ll never let go:

1. Omega gold/white dress watch: a gift from my parents when I graduated high school at 17
2. Seiko gold/gold dress watch: gift from my grandfather on my 18th birthday. Also my last gift from him.
3. MOMA Reveal: birthday gift from my wife.
4. CW C9 Harrison GMT: my first CW and I just love its presence and appearance.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

My Japan Racing Speedy is the one I’d never give up. The rest have varying degrees of safety relative to that, with quite a few in the “almost certain not to be sold” category, through to 20 odd rated “sale already planned”....
1 in 80+ odds, not great is it...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I’ve never parted with any of my watches, with the exception of those who I have already passed onto my children. My intent is to keep the collection in the family and to share the enjoyment.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
downer

Post by downer »

I'd sell pretty much all of mine without too much hesitation. They're really just trinkets in the grand scheme of things.
Richard