Birthday, Member Intro and New Watch Threads

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Birthday, Member Intro and New Watch Threads

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

We were discussing this among the Admin Team a couple of weeks ago.

1. Birthday threads. These used to be a regular feature, with plenty of contributions. Basically wishing active/long-standing/regular members (take your pick) a HB. Like some of the other more "social" and "fun" elements, they have rather decreased in recent years. Well done to Lindsey and Ferg for starting the latest mini-revival. :D

2. New Member Intro threads. On the whole I think these attract fewer replies than they used to. I have no sound evidence for this, just a hunch, and I know several members who ALWAYS reply. My own thread back in 2011 ran to several pages and quite a few of the participants are still posting.

3. New Watch threads. A bit more tricky, this. Some of these attract a huge volume of replies, but I can't help thinking that to some extent it depends on who the member is and what the watch is. :problem: It is a watch forum after all, and everyone would like their latest pride and joy to have its moment in the sun. [BTW, I'm as guilty as anyone over omissions in this section :oops: ]

Maybe, hand on heart, we could do a bit better? If you think it matters, of course. I happen to think it does. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: Birthday, Member Intro and New Watch Threads

Post by missF »

I second this - it's lovely when the forum welcomes you or wishes you happy birthday.
I'd just say that I'll carry on flagging up birthdays, but there are two provisos - (1) I'm not a consistent poster on the forum for health reasons so others will have to step in, and (2) if I miss your birthday please don't be offended - I'm not necessarily up to speed with all the newbies!
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I have noticed this too and also been very lacking of late, especially on the New Member threads.
I aim to improve on this.
Amor Vincit Omnia

missF wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:18 am I'd just say that I'll carry on flagging up birthdays
That's good of you, Lindsey, and we understand the provisos.

BTW, anyone can find out who has a birthday. Go to the "Board Index" page and scroll to the bottom. They are listed there. Provided that members have entered the date on their profile, of course. If not we can't see it.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Hello there, one for the three word thread.
"Must try harder"

Considering the forum is my only form of social media, I still find it a struggle to navigate it, and sometimes dont contribute (Just browse)
But that's no excuse, and as a fan of Birthdays and the celebration of them, I will be chiming in a bit more.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

New Member and New Watch threads are ok for me, not so much Birthday and Anniversaries etc.

No problem with others doing it, but I don’t generally bother with those.

My birthday isn’t shown in my profile even tho I had a big one in December. Similarly, I don’t mention Wedding Anniversary either even tho we had a significant one last April. I know, I’ve just mentioned them. But you get my drift.

Maybe more are like me, resulting in few posts on these matters.

Nothing wrong with them of course, it’s just me.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

When I first joined the forum my posts attracted some interest, even being nominated for thread of the year. I used to get lots of birthday wishes but when I rejoined I now hardly get a response. It doesn’t bother me as I recognise that the forum has its core members and is very much a different community today.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

The New Member thread is, to me, like the employee (forum members) giving the customer (newbies) a warm “hello, let me know if I can help you,” when they first walk into an establishment. It really sets the tone and expectations. And it cuts both ways - that cold customer who doesn’t say a word and just walks right past might get treated accordingly.
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Solid reminder AVO. Always daunting to be a new entrant and a" warm handshake" goes along way
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia

Expanding the idea slightly, we used to have quite a few little competitions and "giveaways" - nothing huge, maybe the odd strap or book in exchange for a bit of research or head-scratching.

Recently we have had the photo competition and the Archive research quiz, both organised by the Admin Team in conjunction with CW (better prizes, obviously) but I have also done a few things independently, as have one or two others. Any member would be welcome to organise something.

Back when I first joined, Kip held a few "watch timing" competitions.

I think a few more of these things would perhaps help to raise the competitive spirit within the forum, as well as providing a fun element.
Steve

atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Good nudge, Avo. Apologies for not welcoming you at the time! I do remember your arrival, and your likings for the DBR watch and gold C5s...
Amor Vincit Omnia

atnits wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:52 pm Good nudge, Avo. :thumbup:

Apologies for not welcoming you at the time! [-X

I do remember your arrival, and your likings for the DBR watch and gold C5s... :D
Thanks, Anthony - my tastes have broadened a little over the years, but I still love those two, even bought second time around!
Steve

iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Well I’m certainly guilty of not contributing to all these, but each one for different reasons.

The birthday and new member welcome ones probably for no other reason than I don’t see myself as a main contributor to the forum. Sounds strange but the birthday posts seem to be for long standing or regular posters, as someone who posts infrequently I feel wishing someone happy birthday who doesn’t really know me seems a bit insincere.

The new member posts I see as much as an introduction to the forum as a quick welcome. I feel new posters will want to see who the regulars are so they then feel they are able to interact in conversations moving forwards. As someone who doesn’t post that regular, they probably will have forgotten who I am before I post again.

New watch posts are different though. Personally I like to share my new watch acquisitions but do so in the (N)CWOTD threads rather than starting my own. I will comment on others posts but (and this is true with many threads) prefer not to repeat what others have said. If I come to a thread a few days old and others have made the point I would have made, I keep quiet and not repeat things.

Can’t say why I behave in this way, I just do, but felt I’d share my thoughts seeing as you asked
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:35 pm Well I’m certainly guilty of not contributing to all these, but each one for different reasons.

The birthday and new member welcome ones probably for no other reason than I don’t see myself as a main contributor to the forum. Sounds strange but the birthday posts seem to be for long standing or regular posters, as someone who posts infrequently I feel wishing someone happy birthday who doesn’t really know me seems a bit insincere.

The new member posts I see as much as an introduction to the forum as a quick welcome. I feel new posters will want to see who the regulars are so they then feel they are able to interact in conversations moving forwards. As someone who doesn’t post that regular, they probably will have forgotten who I am before I post again.

New watch posts are different though. Personally I like to share my new watch acquisitions but do so in the (N)CWOTD threads rather than starting my own. I will comment on others posts but (and this is true with many threads) prefer not to repeat what others have said. If I come to a thread a few days old and others have made the point I would have made, I keep quiet and not repeat things.

Can’t say why I behave in this way, I just do, but felt I’d share my thoughts seeing as you asked
That all makes perfect sense. Hard to argue with any of it. I’m of a similar position with the birthdays, and find myself only posting if I feel like I have en established relationship with the individual.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

I see the point, Iain, but I would argue that kind words are never really wasted.

I would never call it insincere to say Happy Birthday or welcome to someone I didn't know that well. But that's just me.
Steve