Could you?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Could you?

Post by missF »

Could you be content to choose three of your least expensive watches and wear them exclusively for a month, foregoing the rest of your collection?
Do you think it might alter the way you feel about your whole collection?

I thought i might give it a try.
These are the three. Note that the blue dial watch was a gift so I don’t know it’s actual monetary value ( it’s priceless).
8BA0B6DB-5A9B-416D-90E1-4F3ADFD75B33.jpeg
On the left is a recent acquisition. My golden dial vintage seiko 5, bought for the bling when Covid winter seemed particularly grey one day. In the middle my most recent acquisition- another vintage seiko 5 that I love for the square shape and audacious 22mm lugs! On the right the vintage seiko I received as a gift.

So that’s the plan. I have to say already that I find wearing the seiko s very satisfying. They’ve been going as long as me, and they’ve been well worn and appreciated. I’ll see if this sense of satisfaction gets me through a month

Could you do it too?? :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Re: Could you?

Post by missF »

Hmmm... I haven’t specified whether strap changes are allowed- I say YES :lol:
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

I don't have any expensive watches so wouldn't be much of a challenge for me...

That said I could but I'll struggle to remember the cost of them to select the cheapest 3.... But challenge accepted :thumbsup:
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

gannet wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:23 pm challenge accepted :thumbsup:
Excellent! I’m glad of the company :thumbup:
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I do something very much like that whenever I go on holiday; so based on past behaviour, I’d say yes.
I’d be hanging out for a change by the end of the month though....
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Yeah; why not.

Could I do it for a month? Not sure, but I'll certainly start for a week. Will it change my outlook? We'll find out.

I seem to have been rotating, at random, around my new or more expensive watches so to try my least expensive will definitely be a challenge.

Which three? I'm not sure, and they might not be the absolute least expensive I have, but they'll definitely be 'less expensive'.

I'll dig them out shortly and post them up in the morning.

Strap changes allowed? Oh great.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Excellent! I have to say, I didn’t actually think anyone would take up the challenge - thought you’d all just watch me try! :thumbup:
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

I've actually been doing this for the last several months. We've moved overseas for a while and I decided to bring only 2 watches with me (though even that felt a touch excessive!). I brought several strap options to help though - it does make a big difference! They were two CW Kingfishers (an orange auto for daily duties and my old yellow quartz that's been on this long journey with me, and is a useful stand in on days where I may be near potentially magnetised parts). I also brought a Casio FW-91 because that was the watch on my wrist when we moved out of our house (worn in case of damage) and then I decided that as I hadn't packed it, it had to come. :lol:
It's slightly refreshing, though I will admit that I do miss my (admittedly small) collection at times. I don't have any really 'nice' watches, but I left behind a couple with sentimental value/memories I wish I could wear!
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

I could easily..my Steinharts & Glycine Subs are easily my least expensive acquisitions & still rank extremely high in terms of them muscling their way in for wrist wear time..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Nah, could not. The watches I love most are not necessarily my most expensive, but also a long way from my cheapos.

I'm out - strap changes or not!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Hmm I would but I just received a great big bright red watch in the post today and thought it might lift the grey days ahead.. 😊

That said, out of 27 (currenly), I 'almost' exclusively wore one of my least expensive for much of last year (modded c60 300) and when not, with very occasional exeptions, it was generally a little Seiko urchin or Glycine, not my very cheapest but definitely not most expensive. It sort of did alter or maybe clarified my thoughts as follows:
Do I really need or get more enjoyment from all of my watches? Not all and the value doesn't relate to enjoyment.
I'm not as brand conscious as I once was.
Whilst appreciating a quality mechanical Im also ok with a decent quartz.
A watch that 'feels' right is as/more important as one that's impressive.
Watches are contextual for me I.e. I don't sit at home wearing a vintage or high (for me) value timepiece, well not with any frequency.

I shall observe the thread with interest though.. :thumbup:
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

I had to look at the receipts for my least expensive watches, and I was surprised to find a "ringer" amongst the low end. An Invicta Speedway chronograph with an ETA thermocompensated movement, the same one that is in my CW C65 AM GT LE, the ETA 251.264. COSC rating and all, I paid just over $98.00 US for it during a Evine (now shopNBC again) clearance sale. However, it is not one of my three least costly.

A Casio WaveCeptor WV-59A is the least costly at around $40-$45 US. Radio controlled, so very accurate, it was my daily wear through college, and at work after, until the straps wore through and broke. I have since sourced a replacement, but it has become essential as my watch to set them all by, so unless I actually put the new strap on it, I may never wear it again. Must think about that.

My next inexpensive watch is only a few years old, an Invicta Pro Diver bought as a beater. 40mm, NH-35A movement, reasonable bracelet, scalloped bezel. Just over $79.00 US.

Last, but not least, a Casio G-Shock GW-M5610 that I've worn at work for about seven years now. Multiband 6, Tough Solar, tough as nails, about $95 US and change.

I am going on short vacation next week, so not sure if I can do the challenge. I'd like to; it seems a different way to reconnect with the other end of my collection. Thanks for suggesting this, Lindsey!
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Nice idea, Lindsey. But I think I will sit this one out.

I like all my watches, but I gravitate naturally to a couple of favourites, which happen to be my most expensive/valuable ones. I have worn them pretty exclusively over the last month or so, especially my Speedmaster.

I can’t go anywhere, can’t do many of the things I would want to do or see the people I would want to see. I therefore see no reason at this particular time to deny myself yet another small pleasure. However, I shall cheer on all those who participate from the stands, so to speak, and will follow your progress eagerly.

And now it is snowing, which I don’t like either. We don’t do snow very well in Norfolk, but I have plenty of nice things in the fridge and the cupboard, the slow cooker is going on later, I’m having a duvet day and I will probably give all my watches a wind and polish into the bargain at some point. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I probably will sit this one out (as I enjoy wearing them all too much) but it is a good challenge. I have started to wear each watch for maybe 3 days at a time so as to enjoy each one a bit more. I do get pleasure from all my watches whether the more or less expensive of them. This week I've worn predominantly my Halios and yesterday and probably today my C60 mk 2.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Thanks for all your thoughts so far. In my excitement to get on with the challenge i’ve Switched to the golden dial already!
8ECA721D-9BEE-45C6-922D-DBCFE364E056.jpeg
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00