Life is good

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Life is good

Post by jkbarnes »

As I sit here finishing up breakfast with my lovely wife, I find myself compelled to reflect back on a crazy week:
  • the pressures of my job almost overwhelmed me on Monday
  • this country was rocked by insurrection on Wednesday as scenes unfolded that I never in a million years thought I would witness
  • my daughter has tested positive for Covid, but is thankfully experiencing only mild symptoms
  • and throughout all of this, I was separated from my wife, my rock who keeps me grounded (we live in separate states and are only together on Wednesdays and every other weekend)

But despite all this, I have to remember the overwhelming positives that I’m blessed with, among them:
  • A wife that makes me the happiest I’ve ever been in my life
  • two wonderful kids that I have every reason in the world to be proud of
  • a job that, despite the current challenges, has been the most fulfilling experience of my life
  • parents that live locally (and have therefore been within my bubble this entire pandemic) who are healthy and active
With a horrible 2020 over and 2021 getting off to a rough start, It’s important for me to not obsess on the negative but constantly remind myself of the good that surrounds me. Despite the hardships, I’m fortunate that life is still good. In the new year, I wish and pray for the same for all of you.

Perhaps this can be a thread for members to reflect on the good when starting to feel overwhelmed by the bad, a place where we can remind each other of the small pleasures that are so easy to lose sight of?
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

CW Wishlist:
C65 Trident GMT Worldtimer
C9 5 Day SS

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Re: Life is good

Post by missF »

I've just been comparing this lockdown to how things were for me back in March lockdown when I was far more unwell.
My biggest challenge today has been deciding whether or not to buy a watch. Life is good :thumbup:
'The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once'........Albert Einstein
JAFO
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by JAFO »

A new watch definitely gives you that feel good factor. :D
We'll get through it soon enough, Andrew.
ajax87
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 5

Post by ajax87 »

Amen, brother.

Both of my children were born this year; one in January, one in November. No matter how hard this year got, as long as I hold on to them and my wife, everything is alright!

Also lucky to have had a great year financially and been able to pick up some watches I really wanted... :D
Alex
C5 Malvern Aviator Mk1|C60 Sapphire|C60 Abyss|C65 Super Compressor|C60 Trident mk3 GMT|60s Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40 Cosmos|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex
Dickchins
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Keeping hold of a steady job and having a bit left over for a watch or two is something I dont take for granted. Especially seeing the misfortune of others who by no fault of their own, have fallen financially foul to this chaos - my eldest son included.

My girlfriend spent 5 days on a ventilator in 2020 thanks to covid, but although still suffering from some symptoms, is pretty much ok. Its so sad to hear about the massive numbers who aren't so fortunate.

All in all we've had a few bumps in the road but we feel very lucky and appreciate the position we're in.

To top that, I became a proud grandad for the first time a couple of weeks ago and shes an absolute legend!!!!

What a great thread :clap:
exHowfener
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

A friend of ours told me that while on a coach trip to Northern Francs, he came across the Commonwealth War Grave of someone with his exact same name, who was killed in action at the age of 19. He took a photograph and, whenever he started feeling that life was treating him badly looked at that photograph to remind him of all the good things that had happened to him since he was 19, and that things weren't that bad really.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

exHowfener wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:31 pm
A friend of ours told me that while on a coach trip to Northern Francs, he came across the Commonwealth War Grave of someone with his exact same name, who was killed in action at the age of 19. He took a photograph and, whenever he started feeling that life was treating him badly looked at that photograph to remind him of all the good things that had happened to him since he was 19, and that things weren't that bad really.
That’s a wonderful story and very much reflects my motivation behind this post.
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

CW Wishlist:
C9 5 Day SS

Jkpa
Junior
Junior

Post by Jkpa »

Andrew, thanks for making this post. And I agree with all your points. Last week, on top of Covid, was indeed quite unbelievable and incredibly saddening as an American, even a "new one" like me (10 years as as citizen now). I worry for my son's future if this is not something we as a nation can deal with and make sure never happens again.

My wife also had Covid in November 2020 as well as both my in-laws. Thankfully everyone is OK now.

It's important to remember the good things. Oddly enough (or maybe not so odd for my fellow watch enthusiasts), watches help me think about something other than the outside world. Obsessing over dial colors, bracelet vs strap, ceramic vs aluminum, spring drive vs quartz/traditional mechanicals etc helps keep my brain focused on things I enjoy and allows me to step away from the other things happening in the world. It's silly, but it's really useful for me.

I can work from home most days along with my wife. She and I work for the same company so we're literally always together and I wouldn't have it any other way. She (and my son) are by far the best things that ever happened to me and after 18 years of marriage, that's just more and more true each day.

My son is a smart and kind and funny young man who just started high school. Right now for example, we are all at our home computers working or in school. Despite the challenges of working from home, especially for a student at his age who would benefit more from social interaction, we're making it work and we're together. :)

I hope everyone is able to look at the bright side of things and that you stay safe and healthy.
C60 Trident 7750 - The Beast
C5 Malvern 595 Cool Grey
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Jkpa wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:09 pm
Despite the challenges of working from home, especially for a student at his age who would benefit more from social interaction, we're making it work and we're together. :)
The virtual learning is brutal for all students. When I’m especially frustrated with my students (9th graders), I have to stop and remind myself of how hard this is for them, socially and emotionally. I feel for my son who is not getting the typical senior year experience. He seems to be rolling with it.
Andrew

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

CW Wishlist:
C9 5 Day SS

Jkpa
Junior
Junior

Post by Jkpa »

jkbarnes wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:42 pm
Jkpa wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:09 pm
Despite the challenges of working from home, especially for a student at his age who would benefit more from social interaction, we're making it work and we're together. :)
The virtual learning is brutal for all students. When I’m especially frustrated with my students (9th graders), I have to stop and remind myself of how hard this is for them, socially and emotionally. I feel for my son who is not getting the typical senior year experience. He seems to be rolling with it.
Yes it definitely can be and it was a bit hard in the beginning, also because this is his first year of HS so it's a step up in all ways.
C60 Trident 7750 - The Beast
C5 Malvern 595 Cool Grey
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

My parents (both in their mid 70s) just made appointments to get vaccinated next week. I’m more excited about that than I am about getting vaccinated myself (which will hopefully be by the end of the month)!

Life is good!
Andrew

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

CW Wishlist:
C9 5 Day SS

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 27
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1
LESeven: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I picked this up, a day or so ago, from a friend on Facebook who supports a homeless charity in London.

It reminds me that whilst I have a roof over my head, a son working from home living with me, a girlfriend who I've not seen for a few weeks now and I have no idea when I will see her again (in person), we're the fortunate ones.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier| C8 MkI| C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 AD
C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C20 FLE| C40 x2| C60 K'fisher| C60 FLEx2
C60 Bronze-316L| C60 Apex-Elite P'type-AbyssSH21| C65 GMT| C1000
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

My parents survived imprisonment in a Russian Gulag, a labour camp where death was a daily occurrence. My mother was only 3 and my father was 9 when they were declared enemies of the state. Many of my family members did not survive the harsh Siberian winters, nor the hunger, the enforced labour and the diseases that ripped through the camp. Some were spared the misery of a prolonged death with a bullet.

In contrast I have nothing to complain about from the comfort and security of my home with all its advantages of modern day living. More importantly my wife and our children’s families are all safe and well.

Stay safe and well too.
Richard
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sinner777 »

2020 was.. interesting.

I entered it with debt to local government, due to the prolonged termination of my business venture, which was a result of many "but we sent you official letter. You did not receive it?" And with marriage on shaky legs.

I covered that debt, although it was charged improperly, just to finally end it. Just to be in serous debt to bank.

Them first lockdown hit, and I lost my current job.

Then the earthquake hit.

I spend 2 months in my hometown, without a job, with debt and with marriage that was going to wrecks.

But...it all ended well. I got my job back, I divorced without grudges (at least from my side, missus is still a bit hard to communicate with), I am going to evening school (I decided to become pharmacy technician).. I even managed to get rid of the debt, somehow.

Now I live alone, I am renting a great flat, I have kind of new promising relationship, I finished first part of education with flying colours.

Yes, partial lockdown is still in place and earthquakes still hit.. but I am at peace at the moment. Perhaps for the first time in my life. I have two years of school ahead and at that same time I will get rid of all the debts I have at this moment. So..I will have a clean start at 45. Too late? No.. I don't care. It's not the first time I start all over. And I am fine with it.

So..life is good. Although it may not look that way.

Ian Mc
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

When I read the posts on here and look around and see the difficulties that so many are forced into facing through no fault of there own, I am grateful for the position I (we) find ourselves in.
12 months ago I broke an ankle, had 3 months off work during which covid impacted. As a key worker I went back for 1 day only to be told to shield for 4 months.
During sheilding my pensions came through so I put my notice in and retired late August. I worked 14 days in 2020.
My activities have been severely restricted of course due to lock downs and sheilding, but, I have no reason to complain, all my family are well and secure.
This third lock down is harder to live through due to the poor weather and short days, but, there is reason to be optimistic with the vaccine rollout.
Vintage Omega, Seamaster AT, Seamaster Pro 300, Speedmaster Racing, Speedmaster Moonwatch, Scuro diver, Bering solar, 3x homemade bronze jobbies.C60 bronze, Victorinox INOX.