A question about watch faces...

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

A question about watch faces...

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ve just now noticed that I’ve seen a number of watches recently that mixed Arabic and Roman numerals. I think it’s typically been Arabic on the bottom half, Roman on top. Does this have some historical explanation? Does it relate to some practical consideration? Or is purely a stylistic/decorative type of thing with a history in watches.?
Drew
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: A question about watch faces...

Post by exHowfener »

Google "California dial" for theories.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

exHowfener wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:03 pm Google "California dial" for theories.
How very interesting. Sounds like the style originated purely as a stylistic element with nothing more to it.

Thanks for the tip!
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Product meeting...

CEO: I’m really excited about this new design. I think it’s going to be one of our biggest things ever. Did we get the feedback on the dial questionnaire yet?

MARKETING: Yeah, of those who expressed an opinion on numerals approximately half said they loved Romans and hated Arabics, and the other half said they loved Arabics and hated Romans.

CEO: Any ideas?

CLEVER YOUNG GIT: Yeah, I’ve been working on a design. (Produces mock up of California dial) What do you guys think?

MONSIEUR BIZ-CLICHÉ: We could run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it, dress it in a sexy nightie and see who gets into bed with it...

TEAM: SHUT THE **** UP, B-C!

Six months later, review meeting...

CEO: So what happened?

CLEVER YOUNG GIT: Sorry boss, it bombed.

MONSIEUR BIZ-CLICHÉ: Like a lead balloon filled with mercury, like the RAF on a night raid over...

MARKETING: It seems we made a mistake. Of the 2648 respondents, only fourteen expressed an opinion about numerals. It seems the rest wanted plain indices, but we overlooked that.

CEO: So basically it was a crappy design. Anyone know some gullible kickstarter watch company we could sell the patent to?

CLEVER YOUNG GIT: Rolex might be interested if you told them it would attract a five year waiting list and a 200% price hike.

TEAM: Hmmmmmm!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:00 pm Product meeting...

CEO: I’m really excited about this new design. I think it’s going to be one of our biggest things ever. Did we get the feedback on the dial questionnaire yet?

MARKETING: Yeah, of those who expressed an opinion on numerals approximately half said they loved Romans and hated Arabics, and the other half said they loved Arabics and hated Romans.

CEO: Any ideas?

CLEVER YOUNG GIT: Yeah, I’ve been working on a design. (Produces mock up of California dial) What do you guys think?

MONSIEUR BIZ-CLICHÉ: We could run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it, dress it in a sexy nightie and see who gets into bed with it...

Six months later, review meeting...

CEO: So what happened?

CLEVER YOUNG GIT: Sorry boss, it bombed.

MONSIEUR BIZ-CLICHÉ: Like a lead balloon filled with mercury, like the RAF on a night raid over...

MARKETING: It seems we made a mistake. Of the 2648 respondents, only fourteen expressed an opinion about numerals. It seems the rest wanted plain indices, but we overlooked that.

CEO: So basically it was a crappy design. Anyone know some gullible kickstarter watch company we could sell the patent to?

CLEVER YOUNG GIT: Rolex might be interested if you told them it would attract a five year waiting list and a 200% price hike.

TEAM: Hmmmmmm!
Brilliant! Very creative. I applaud you, sir! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Drew
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

'king brilliant.
There's always time for one more.
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

:lol: :clap:

And I actually like a good California dial!
Bjørn
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

If I’m not mistaken, didn’t one of CWs Jumping Hour dials feature both?

Roman numerals for minutes and Arabic in the hour window. Or even the other way around!!

That may have been why I sold it.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

TheBeatles wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:08 pm If I’m not mistaken, didn’t one of CWs Jumping Hour dials feature both?

Roman numerals for minutes and Arabic in the hour window. Or even the other way around!!

That may have been why I sold it.
I’m off to the CWArchives to check! I’ll update this post I’d I find it.

EDITED TO ADD: You are correct!
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I dislike Roman numerals on watches. Traditional wall clocks and carriage clocks have them, but the dials have more space. I just think Roman numbers take up too much space.
Amor Vincit Omnia

JAFO wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:29 pm I dislike Roman numerals on watches. Traditional wall clocks and carriage clocks have them, but the dials have more space. I just think Roman numbers take up too much space.
You will, of course, be expecting someone to disagree gently and politely with that. I’ll start the ball rolling.

CA0D8DBE-4D8D-4CFA-B8FA-F2AB8F3079CA.jpeg
For the record, I love Romans and I’m perfectly happy with Arabics or plain indices. But I hate that mishmash California dial to pieces.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Personally (I hope this comes across as polite ...) I think the only timepiece Roman numerals belong on is a sundial. But, clearly many people have a different view as they do seem popular. The 'California dial' is just odd though. :)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:05 pm
JAFO wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:29 pm I dislike Roman numerals on watches. Traditional wall clocks and carriage clocks have them, but the dials have more space. I just think Roman numbers take up too much space.
You will, of course, be expecting someone to disagree gently and politely with that. I’ll start the ball rolling.

CA0D8DBE-4D8D-4CFA-B8FA-F2AB8F3079CA.jpeg

For the record, I love Romans and I’m perfectly happy with Arabics or plain indices. But I hate that mishmash California dial to pieces.
It’s as if Roman numerals were invented specifically for a Cartier Tank...and the Reverso! They look perfect on a Tanks.

I don’t understand that California dial. I’d find it distracting every time I checked the time.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

exHowfener wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:17 pm Personally (I hope this comes across as polite ...) I think the only timepiece Roman numerals belong on is a sundial.
Hope is a wonderful thing to have. :D
Steve

exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Hope is a wonderful thing to have. :D
It keeps me going as does fibre.