Impulse Buys - Watches preferably, but not exclusively

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Oldgrey#19
CW-watches: 1

Impulse Buys - Watches preferably, but not exclusively

Post by Oldgrey#19 »

Did it end well? Did it end Badly?

My mate stories accepted as long as it makes us feel better about ourselves :-)

For me, Watch wise was March -I had a few drinks and woke up with a vague recollection of an E-bay swoop into buy last minute:

Bulova watch (new old stock) 25 jewel automatic. 40mm case excluding winder. Serial number 442 01 10. 7 " to 8" inch wrist Unworn no scratches or marks sorry no box. Uk bids only pictures part of DESCRIPTION

Impulse Buly.jpg
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Impulse Buys - Watches preferably, but not exclusively

Post by jkbarnes »

Impulse buys...OMG, where do I begin?! I’m the king of impulse buying, and it normally happens after a drink or two...or three. On the plus side, I’m pretty good about a hard price limit for impulse buys, so nothing significant (with one exception noted below) like a watch has been bought on impulse. On the down side, all the small impulse buys can quickly add up!

My biggest impulse buy was probably a new camera system in the midst of a divorce, hardly worth posting a picture.

Great idea for a thread! I’m looking forward to some interesting posts. I’ll share a recent impulse purchase - a pair of old school “gunboats” purchased while reminiscing on my grandfather’s amazing collection of shoes. The irony? School shut down shortly after the purchase, and I haven’t worn a pair of dress shoes since.

I know it’s not a watch, but you did say “but not exclusively” so...

76B9C40F-8D0B-48B5-9F74-36B90D2D4386.jpeg
Drew
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

Like Andrew, I have a weakness for shoes! I've definitely got more pairs of shoes than I have watches (both too many) and it's the norm rather than the exception that I'll pop in to my favourite shoe shop in Chester whenever I'm dragged to the shops by my wife! It's been curtailed of course in the last few months but there's always online :lol:

But, probably my biggest impulse buy and not one that turned out to be a great investment, was a race horse. Less said the better :thumbdown:
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Property number three, of the five that I’ve owned. We lived in a quiet little cul-de-sac, comprising of 8 semi detached houses and 4 detached. We had one of the semis. We always said that if a detached one became available, we’d try to buy it.

Well, one did but it was too expensive, so we dismissed the idea. That is, until, a few months later, when it was still available, we just said stuff it, let’s go and have a viewing. That was it, we sold ours and bought it. Decided to phone for a viewing at 4pm, viewed it at 4:30 and agreed a deal at 5pm!

Our semi had been well and truly looked after, was well decorated and had new windows, bathroom and heating etc etc. Our new house was a festering heap of poorly performed diy bodges. They even removed every light fitting before moving out, leaving bare, live wires dangling!!!

The upstairs windows were so rotten that they’d screwed them shut, to hold them in place. The extension roof was rotten but had simply had new felt laid over the old. I stepped onto the roof to investigate why we couldn’t open a window and put my foot through into the kitchen! The garage was being propped up and had to be demolished. The list goes on!

Biggest mistake of my life! We were blinded by the desire to live in a bigger house in the same street. The only plus point was the view over the open fields behind it.
Steve.
LennyBenny1

Post by LennyBenny1 »

Bid and won this on eBay on a drunk sunday
IMG_2660.JPG
downer

Post by downer »

I bought this while killing time in Zurich airport back in 2014...

It was all a bit surreal and I had a bit of panic on the flight home. However, I’ve still got the watch and I’ve still got the same wife, so I reckon I got away with it. :)
Richard
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

After shaves but not any Old Spice: has to be a balm and just now I’m buying Acqua Di Parma - got all their “flavours” just now and the newly discontinued ones as well. Sad I know.
9C7148B3-DC0D-4FB1-A6AB-50FD8937D5DD.jpeg
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Whilst on a business trip and following a long lunch I bought a boat at the Paris Boat Show... :ka:

Micro2.jpg
Tim
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

A house....A HOUSE!...a car, a sail boat, a Rolex, and a race horse beat my measly pair of shoes, hands down. I need to step up my game.
Drew
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

I was out on a walk the other day and decided to pop into the corner shop for a Snickers Duo. Does that count?
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

sproughton wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:25 pm I was out on a walk the other day and decided to pop into the corner shop for a Snickers Duo. Does that count?
Depends on whether it's a keeper
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

downer wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:50 pm I bought this while killing time in Zurich airport back in 2014...

It was all a bit surreal and I had a bit of panic on the flight home. However, I’ve still got the watch and I’ve still got the same wife, so I reckon I got away with it. :)
Loving the last part of that statement.
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
LennyBenny1

Post by LennyBenny1 »

I still have the car 3 years later and the girlfriend she is yet to drive it
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I bought a pair of Monkey boots on impulse last week. After watching Daniel Craig not wear a pair, in the snow in Spectre. They looked like monkey boots in my view, but i think they're more a hiking boot.
Unfortunately the size 7s that turned up, wont fit my size 11 feet, so I've had to return them. Hopefully the replacements are worth the wait.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Was walking in London after a business meeting and this bloke said would you like to buy.....
london_bridge_head.jpg
Well, I thought it was a bargain!
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands