Dibley gets Fibre!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Dibley gets Fibre!

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

No, I’m not talking about All Bran!

When it comes to rolling out the latest technological upgrades and innovations, rural Norfolk is often somewhere near the tail end of the queue. There are still places in Dibley where are you struggle to get a mobile signal, let alone 4G.

A fact which has been brought home to us over the last few weeks when trying to conduct lessons via Zoom with our pupils, some of whom live out in the sticks and have extremely poor Wi-Fi.

Happy to say that in a couple of weeks my little slice of the postcode lottery is finally getting BT fibre broadband. I plugged in my new hub today in anticipation! I have no doubt that within a month or two the next big thing will be along to plunge us once more into the Dark Ages. If it isn’t here already, that is.

Still, there are compensations and right now I’d sooner be living here than in a lot of places I could mention!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Dibley gets Fibre!

Post by Thegreyman »

The irony I’m guessing Steve, from an online teaching perspective, is that you won’t get the benefit of this due to your impending retirement?

At least you will be able to browse the forum, browse for buying watches and booking holidays (hopefully soon) at superfast speeds 8)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

I tend to go into work most days, Patrick. We have a fair sized contingent of children whose parents are EW, mainly medics. As a single person who is not classed as vulnerable I am happy to go in and help with the supervision, which means that I can teach from my room at work where the broadband is excellent, I can access the servers and have all my resources to hand. It’s the connections of some of our families that make things difficult.

But then, I never really wanted the Internet for work anyway. At my age I’m much happier with chalk and talk.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Amor Vincit Omnia

The switch was made yesterday while I was out at work. By the time I came home it was all working perfectly. I have just watched a 50 minute YouTube program with no buffering! :lol:
Steve

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Top notch Steve.

Do you know what speed you get?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:22 pm The switch was made yesterday while I was out at work. By the time I came home it was all working perfectly. I have just watched a 50 minute YouTube program with no buffering! :lol:
That's all very good but it can't nearly match the excitement of a ten minute wait for a naked lady to load up on the screen in 1997.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Bungle-ator wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:18 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:22 pm The switch was made yesterday while I was out at work. By the time I came home it was all working perfectly. I have just watched a 50 minute YouTube program with no buffering! :lol:
That's all very good but it can't nearly match the excitement of a ten minute wait for a naked lady to load up on the screen in 1997.
Assuming the whole thing loaded. Or the hours getting an mp3 on p2p only to find out it was mis-tagged and not what you were after!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex