Spot the watch! (Actually about America's Cup sailing)

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Spot the watch! (Actually about America's Cup sailing)

Post by monkeymax »

So, work put out a video and article about me last week and I was debating whether to share it. (I don't tend to share much about myself online! Plus sharing a video about myself feels a little... odd!) The link to here is slightly tenuous in that a CW features (though probably not prominently enough to earn me any marketing credit towards one of the new ones! :lol: ) but I know that some of you are into F1 and associated technology and so may be would be interested in something like this and what I do...
[youtube]https://youtu.be/YHn-swYFqZY[/youtube]

(I couldn't find a thread for what people do for their jobs...)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Spot the watch! (Actually about America's Cup sailing)

Post by tikkathree »

Oh cool!

I don't know what I find cooler, that lovely yellow old school C6 on your wrist or that you're working on these flying boats. I thought the last generation America's Cup boats were impressive but these foilers are at another level altogether.

I think the elves at CW Towers could/should engineer a future article in Loupe about you and reshoot the video with a C60 MKIII on your wrist.

Amazing. Lucky you and thanks so much for sharing.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Thank you for sharing, really interesting and its easy to see the parallels with F1 teams. Great little vid and a very cool line of work.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

Loving the Kingfisher, don't mercedes f1 (applied sciences) now have a small group of engineers involved in the project this time round?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

very cool
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Very cool! :thumbup:

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Always like seeing/hearing people with interesting jobs. Well done! :thumbup:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Very interesting to watch that Max, loved the yellow C6 Kingfisher too.

You definitely must have raised the average IQ amongst the forum when you joined!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

That was very interesting Max and great looking boat! For your next video which CW watch will you feature?
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
drand
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by drand »

It's good to see this kind of high tech stuff happening close to home.

Though of course it's your lot pushing up the prices at the Bridge Tavern :wink:
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Interesting video and as an aside also very interesting how the AC design has apparently changed for commercial reasons - Luna Rossa/Prada & Bertelli only willing to come back and play if it was held in a 'monohull'. I think it's a bit of a stretch to call this design a monohull but needs must.
Tim
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Any time I see those things get up on the foils I shake my head in wonder. Must be an extra-ordinary experience to sail them. F1 for the water no doubt. Other-worldly. :thumbup:
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Hi! Sorry for the delay in replying; things are as busy as ever! The world lock-down has indeed affected us as it has with everyone else but we're still trying to keep to our original deadlines at my end of the design process.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Amazingly, yesterday was my 10 year anniversary of joining this forum...! And it's nearly 10 years since the arrival of my first watch - that Kingfisher.

Yep, the Kingfisher (or an automatic burnt orange version I received on the day of filming! Thanks to Guy for that) has been my daily wearer for quite a few years now. I went through some years of it in a box while in my last job (it felt odd wearing a nice shirt or even suit and a bright yellow Kingfisher while visiting clients) but it feels quite appropriate for where I am now! (In fact, my C7 rapide used to join me when the Kingfisher was boxed and also spent a bit of time in the pit lane at Silverstone)
Plus it's nice knowing you've got a watch that can handle being dunked if necessary on the days I've been on/in the water (on one of the chasing powerboats, not the sailing boat unfortunately!). I try to avoid having to get wet at work if possible though.

I'll do a bit of multi-quoting! Not going to help my post count but it'll keep it all together at least!
tikkathree wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 pm Oh cool!

I don't know what I find cooler, that lovely yellow old school C6 on your wrist or that you're working on these flying boats. I thought the last generation America's Cup boats were impressive but these foilers are at another level altogether.

I think the elves at CW Towers could/should engineer a future article in Loupe about you and reshoot the video with a C60 MKIII on your wrist.

Amazing. Lucky you and thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks! I always felt the boats were very graceful but once they started taking off it all became very special. Although I understand the physics behind it all I'm still astounded by the boats. Random fact, the boats in the last cup could go more than 3 times the wind speed they were in. The boats effectively create their own apparent wind as they accelerate and now being able to take off to overcome most the water drag helps with this. This fact still makes me laugh.

I'd love to do something CW related but not sure if we will have a watch sponsor again this time around and what that'd mean for doing anything with CW. I am fortunate to have a job I find exciting and am passionate about though!
ddav wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:05 am Loving the Kingfisher, don't mercedes f1 (applied sciences) now have a small group of engineers involved in the project this time round?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Yes, we started working with Mercedes F1 earlier in the year. We do have some of their engineers working with us. It's gone both ways in the pandemic though with us working with them on things like 3D printable face masks. But we're generally a small engineering team for the complexity of the boat we're designing so extra brains help a lot!
Thegreyman wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:34 pm Very interesting to watch that Max, loved the yellow C6 Kingfisher too.

You definitely must have raised the average IQ amongst the forum when you joined!
Thanks, but I doubt that! I don't think my IQ is that high; I'm good at my specialty but there's plenty I can't do still! Plenty of smart people around here!
Viognier wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:25 pm That was very interesting Max and great looking boat! For your next video which CW watch will you feature?
:lol: I've been with the team for almost 5 years and bizarrely the only two videos I've done for the team have just been done (this one and another a month or so back for the CFD software we use). So at that rate, it may be the Mk IV C60 on my wrist next time!
drand wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:21 pm It's good to see this kind of high tech stuff happening close to home.

Though of course it's your lot pushing up the prices at the Bridge Tavern :wink:
Oh hello! :lol: That may be our fault! The new owners are very welcoming though!
timor54 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:03 pm Interesting video and as an aside also very interesting how the AC design has apparently changed for commercial reasons - Luna Rossa/Prada & Bertelli only willing to come back and play if it was held in a 'monohull'. I think it's a bit of a stretch to call this design a monohull but needs must.
Well there's only one hull, so strictly speaking.... But yes, once it is flying calling it a monohull is indeed a stretch!
Noush wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:54 pm Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Any time I see those things get up on the foils I shake my head in wonder. Must be an extra-ordinary experience to sail them. F1 for the water no doubt. Other-worldly. :thumbup:
Apparently it is quite a ride, and for the grinders who are face down most the time they can't tell if they're doing 20 knots or much more... (nice and smooth when it's flying right)