What did you do with your CD collection?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
downer
CW-watches: 4

What did you do with your CD collection?

Post by downer »

What to do with them?

We have quite a few CD's, collected over the years from mid 80's (I think Dire Straits Brothers in Arms was my first CD). All of them have been transferred to hard drives and as such, the CD's never see the light of day.

There's a mixture of stuff from brilliant to absolute crap and somewhere in between...

I think the time has come to dispose of them (at least, most of them) and I wondered if anyone has any experience or suggestions?

Easiest is landfill and most complex is trying to sell them one-by-one. Is there a simple method (music magpie) or somewhere to donate them?

Any ideas?
Richard
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: What did you do with your CD collection?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Charity shop will take some, but will probably be inundated when we are all let loose.

My thought, as I was reading, was Music Magpie, but I see you are there already.

Dumb suggestion; list them all on here on a 5 for £5 or 10 for £10 charity donation, plus £2 for postage

OR

say 5 for £5 Charity donation plus postage Lucky Dip - worth a fiver for a bit of fun (and I'm sure they will be in mint condition).

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Make a list of them if you can. You'll probably make plenty of money selling them individually on ebay.

(I'm always buying 80s cds :oops: )
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Like you I have many many CDs that have all been copied into iTunes, saved onto 3 big capacity USB sticks just in case but still I would never want to get rid of the originals. In fact I regularly pop into the Charity shops near me to search for any that I fancy or haven't got particularly Soul, 80s, Jazz/Funk.

Unlike yours mine are not on show though as they're filed away into 3 pieces of furniture with doors so they are out of sight.

It'd be a shame for yours to end up in landfill (goodness knows what chemicals are in the plastic discs) and Music Magpie is the obvious method of getting rid of them in bulk.

I'd be somebody happy to scan through a list and purchase or contribute to charity if you do decide on that method although it's probably the most onerous for you listing, packaging and sending them off particularly at the moment (and looks like you've got about 300ish there).

Maybe post photos on here so the CD titles on the spines can be read and people choose 5-10 at a time if you're willing to do that.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Don’t ask me! :)

I still have all my vinyl collection somewhere in the house, in addition to the CDs! :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

I offloaded all of mine to 'Zapper'- an app based sales platform.

The idea was to scan the barcode on the CD/DVD/book and they offer you a price (usually a sickeningly low price). They pay for posting boxes of twenty-plus CDs and ping you back a paypal or cheque when received. Easy, but not particularly wealth-generating.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

In theory ripping is illegal - though I believe you are allowed to keep a backup. But in any case, you are supposed to keep the original CD as ripping does not transfer the usage rights granted by the copyright holder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... ns-new-law

Sorry to rain on the parade :oops:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
downer

Post by downer »

H0rati0 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:51 pm In theory ripping is illegal - though I believe you are allowed to keep a backup. But in any case, you are supposed to keep the original CD as ripping does not transfer the usage rights granted by the copyright holder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... ns-new-law

Sorry to rain on the parade :oops:
Well obviously, if and when I sell/dispose of the CD's, I'll be simultaneously deleting the soft copy. :roll:
Richard
downer

Post by downer »

Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:37 pm
Unlike yours mine are not on show though as they're filed away into 3 pieces of furniture with doors so they are out of sight.

If you look closely you'll see the door hinges on my picture. 8)
Richard
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

downer wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:12 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:37 pm

If you look closely you'll see the door hinges on my picture. 8)
Yes see them now. I missed that as the light shade of the wood on the inside of the door didn't register in my brain that there were doors there. :oops:
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I had the very same thought this morning, when chatting about Spotify.
I have most of my CDs burnt to iTunes, but i need to bear in mind they are not as good quality, due to compression or something.
I thought i may list them as a job lot, also the same with DVDs.
But when i consider the amount of money invested in them, and the potential loss, i think i will keep them and continue living in the physical world for now.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
downer

Post by downer »

I just scanned a couple of random CD's into the Music Magpie App...

Springsteen - Born to Run 30th Anniversary boxed set (2DVD's, remastered CD) - £2.25
INXS - Greatest Hits £0.26
Beautiful South - Greatest Hits £0.36
Blur - Parklife - Not interested in buying
Seasick Steve - Walking Man £0.23
James Taylor - Hourglass £0.31

Not a get-rich-quick-scheme then... approx 300 CD's at an average of about £0.25p = £75

I think I'd rather be giving them away. Or maybe I'll just close the doors and find something else to do... :lol:
Richard
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Dibs on the Springsteen set! :lol:

We've boxed up our CDs into big plastic tubs. That said, I've recently bought some more vinyl....
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

downer wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:12 pm I just scanned a couple of random CD's into the Music Magpie App...

Springsteen - Born to Run 30th Anniversary boxed set (2DVD's, remastered CD) - £2.25
INXS - Greatest Hits £0.26
Beautiful South - Greatest Hits £0.36
Blur - Parklife - Not interested in buying
Seasick Steve - Walking Man £0.23
James Taylor - Hourglass £0.31

Not a get-rich-quick-scheme then... approx 300 CD's at an average of about £0.25p = £75

I think I'd rather be giving them away. Or maybe I'll just close the doors and find something else to do... :lol:
I've done the music magpie scan thing (and another app with mine) for 70 CDs and the average was more like 18p each. (that was with some 'valuable' limited editions worth in the region of £6) I too decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I get it; they have to make money and CDs don't make money...

I am thinning down my few hundred too, so have said whatever I keep has to fit into an 80 something case wallet and that's it. Very hard! CDs are something I am very emotional/sentimental about when I see them - let alone thinking about the money spent on each one that's now worth pence. All my keepers are ripped to FLAC or AIFF lossless formats. Rare CDs that I've decided I am happy to go have been sold through discogs.com. The rest have been going to charity shops as I'd rather they either get the money, or send the CDs to landfill which is something I don't have the heart to do.
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

For my part, my CD collection remains in tact, and will do so, just so long as my relatively recent purchase of a good quality sound system, incorporating a CD player, remains operational.

I still love the CD concept, and have no plans to get rid of my collection.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Regards
Craig