Coronavirus Weekly Check-In Thread - March 21

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Coronavirus Weekly Check-In Thread - March 21

Post by timor54 »

I'm retired so I'm already fairly experienced in social distancing... and not greatly affected by the economic turmoil that is getting dramatically worse by the day. I can't help but think that these consequences will far outlast the immediate medical issues.

My immediate issue is a vacation planned for mid-May. I am (was?) going up to Knoydart in the Scottish Highlands; now this place is just about as remote as you can get in the UK so should be relatively safe, it's just the small matter of getting there and back. By May the situation could be a whole lot worse with wide ranging travel bans so I'm guessing I'll have to cancel or postpone the trip to next year.

The other thing that is concerning me is the well being of my daughters. No.1 is a freelance journalist who has been commuting back-and-forth between London and Lyon. She's now back in London, but still commuting on public transport across town to work... :( No.2 completed her final exams at medical school last week. She was looking forward to some time off before starting in August as a junior doctor on a general surgery rotation. Heaven only knows where she'll be in a months time, let alone a week or so...
Tim
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Ian Mc »

Not too bad here in S Cumbria, usual numpties buying up food leaving little for everyone else.

I feel as though I have been in semi isolation for the last 8 weeks anyway, recovering from a broken ankle. Not due back in work for a couple of weeks yet.

Confirmed cases here in Cumbria are up nearly 50% on yesterday.
Time keeps on slipping into the future
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Not much change here...Lou is classed as key worker ( working as normal ) her son goes to a special needs school ( staying open as normal for the foreseeable future ) and I’m saving hundreds of marriages by selling DIY materials to chaps stuck at home
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Thanks for this thread Chris, great to check in on our friends here.

As I'm in the security industry, I have to go out to work to the factory I work at.
Most of the large workforce there are now working from home as generally in IT etc.
Still some 'grunts on the ground' in the manufacturing.

Gone very quiet now obviously but we in security are busy with having to checklist every person who comes on site which is generally just delivery drivers and couriers.

Wearing gloves for a couple of weeks but face masks from this coming week too.
Being very careful hand washing, antibacterial wiping down items etc especially when coming home.

Louise is also still working as again can't work from home, she works in a bearing and motor company which is still very busy.

Pubs closed a week or so and most restaurants closed including McDonald's from tomorrow.

Staying away from parents as much as possible except getting them groceries.

Holiday in May to the UK for a week looks increasingly doubtful.

Also a holiday to the UK, Goodwood Revival actually in September is also potentially off but I really really hope not...

Keep well everyone and nice to check in with you all.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I posted a me update over in the other coronavirus thread. But this is a great idea. I’m not sure about others here, but as last week wore on, and I had to adapt quickly to uncertainty and extra anxiety, I felt a big urge to just be in touch with people and make sure they were ok. The internet can be a great tool.
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Rough weekend for me. For a complex set of reasons, my wife and I live in separate states - she in Maryland and me in Virginia. We spend Wednesdays and every other weekend together. Our fear is that this past weekend might be the last for awhile. We'll continue getting together until either state issues a stay-at-home order.

I'm supposed to be working virtually this week but have no idea what that is supposed to entail exactly. I'm a school teacher. We're closed through April 14 officially, however I fear we may not go back at all. I've received no guidance as to expectations about what we should be doing. They're throwing out a lot of buzzwords - distance learning! virtual classroom! - but no actual guidance. I miss my students.

My actual kids are healthy but going stir crazy.

I'm worried for my parents. They're both healthy, but all in their mid 70s. Sadly, they don't take this seriously at all. In fact, they get mad when ever I bring up social distancing and limiting their activities.

Trying times....
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I try to get to the Gym twice a week, usually on a Monday and Friday, for an hour or so, to work on Core strength (to help my long term iffy back) and some aerobic work.

For my core strength I work using TRX Straps. These seem to be sold out everywhere and besides I'm not keen on spending £150 for a set.

I therefore found;-

3 x nylon webbing trouser belts
2 x long nylon webbing tie-down straps
couple of sections of 2x1 timber
2 x padding straps for comfort use on a car seat belt and
some gaffer tape.

Put them all together and position around one of the open treads of my stairs and voila. TRX Straps.

For my aerobic work, I do a session on the Cross Trainer machine which has a Langlauf motion and I remembered that I have a pair of Trekking poles in my garage. Dug them out and I'll be off for a brisk walk.

Now to put them to the test.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:58 pm Rough weekend for me. For a complex set of reasons, my wife and I live in separate states - she in Maryland and me in Virginia. We spend Wednesdays and every other weekend together. Our fear is that this past weekend might be the last for awhile. We'll continue getting together until either state issues a stay-at-home order.

I'm supposed to be working virtually this week but have no idea what that is supposed to entail exactly. I'm a school teacher. We're closed through April 14 officially, however I fear we may not go back at all. I've received no guidance as to expectations about what we should be doing. They're throwing out a lot of buzzwords - distance learning! virtual classroom! - but no actual guidance. I miss my students.

My actual kids are healthy but going stir crazy.

I'm worried for my parents. They're both healthy, but all in their mid 70s. Sadly, they don't take this seriously at all. In fact, they get mad when ever I bring up social distancing and limiting their activities.

Trying times....
Sounds tough Andrew. Is going to Maryland and delivering your virtual teaching from there not an option, or are you worried you'll need to visit the school from time to time for teaching materials etc? Perhaps your parents are in Virgina too.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:31 pm
Put them all together and position around one of the open treads of my stairs and voila. TRX Straps.
Very resourceful Guy :clap:

I managed to buy some barbells and bar on Amazon and some extra weights for them off ebay along with a few other fitness bits and pieces from Decathlon. So the family will be able to work out from home.

My gym, now closed, has also given us free access to a online fitness class subscription. Of course there are loads of fitness videos on youtube that you can use for free. The body coach, Joe Wicks, does some good body weight work outs that require no equipment whatsoever.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Brilliant job Guy 8) :clap:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:53 pm Sounds tough Andrew. Is going to Maryland and delivering your virtual teaching from there not an option, or are you worried you'll need to visit the school from time to time for teaching materials etc? Perhaps your parents are in Virgina too.
What keeps us in our respective states and apart from each other is shared custody of our respective kids with ex spouses. We see each other on the weekends neither of us have our kids. So I need to be in VA for my kids. My parents are in Virginia and are just 5 minutes done the road from me. I'm happy to do their shopping for them, if only they'd stay inside and let me!

As for virtual teaching, I suppose I can do that from anywhere as long as I have an internet connection. I'd just like some direction on what that needs to be!
Drew
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I am so happy to see the posts from everyone on this thread. I think it really does show that we are family of sorts.

I realized after I posted that I didn’t share my story this week.

My wife and I continue to go to work, as we are both work for essential services. Colleen doing water quality testing for our water utility company, and myself in healthcare. Colleen’s job has slowed somewhat, and starting this week they are reducing staffing to increase distancing in the workplace, and increase staff safety. This week she is working, but next week she will have part of the week off. my workload will not be decreasing anytime soon. While I am confident in my training and equipment, I do find myself experiencing a certain level of anxiety over my safety at work, and the very real likelihood that if I become ill, I will probably give it to my wife. The new reality of my job is that there are no more emergencies. Every patient must be approached in a methodical, carefully thought out manner. PPE MUST be applied in a deliberate and consistent manner. A sick or dead healthcare worker is of no use to anyone, and our PPE and decontamination procedures are all we have keeping us safe.

Because we are both still at work, our day to day life has changed less than many. We sadly missed some opera and theater performances this month, but it’s a small price to pay. Going out for dinner is off the table (pun intended), but we are doing what we can to support our local independent restaurants via takeout. Our government has not yet closed dining rooms, choosing instead to regulate numbers and minimum distancing. Despite this, there are very few restaurants still open for dine-in, making the need to force closure almost moot. With the likely complete closure of restaurants at some point, we have decided that we will support small restaurants in our area as much as possible in the meantime, and hopefully give them a chance to ride this out and come back strong. The same with our grocery shopping. We have made a conscious decision to only support or local food purveyors for the foreseeable future. As an added bonus, they are less crowded than the big guys!
My dad and step mom live fairly close, and are thankfully taking this very seriously. They have us as well as great neighbours looking out for them, and so I am no more worried about them than I normally would be. We have also been keeping in close contact with our neighbours, and know that we are able to support each other if needed.

Perhaps most importantly, we have an ample supply of toilet paper!

Stay safe,

Chris
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

I guess we are in a bit of an unusual position here at Ian Mc towers.
Mrs Mc normally works from home most of the time, so she continues to work despite being under isolation.
I work in essential services, (gas production), but am on sick leave at the moment. My isolation will end 1 day after my sick leave finishes, so no real impact on work for me.
Biggest thing is not being able to see family.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

School has now officially been cancelled for the rest of the academic year, and I feel sick to my stomach (as both a teacher and a parent) about all the unknowns that come with this. Better safe than sorry of course, but still... This is certainly not how I'd like to see the year end. Very sad day in the Stanley household.
Drew
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

Eldest son laid off yesterday until at least June 1st.
He is now looking into mortgage holiday and govt wage support.
Fortunately, his wife is a teacher and will still be paid normally.