Coronavirus

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Lavaine »

I read this blog post today, and, while it is increasingly difficult right now to separate the wheat from the chaff when reading articles online, I think this one is worth sharing. Perhaps a little bit of insight into the world our own Welshlad is inhabiting right now. The writer is based in Canada, so the numbers are not accurate for everywhere, but it doesn't change the message. It's a sobering read. If you think we will be self-isolating for a couple of weeks and then life will return to normal, be prepared for a shocking dose of reality.
I have not read the other Covid articles Dr. Deonandan has posted on his blog, but a quite scan suggests they are worthwhile reading. I'll be spending some time with them later tonight:
http://blog.deonandan.com/wordpress/202 ... -game.html

Another interesting page (updated frequently throughout the day) for those that are interested in the numbers behind the pandemic:
https://www.covidgraph.com/p/coronaviru ... orbidities

For those interested, I have found that Reddit, which is generally a dumpster fire, has two high-quality subreddits dedicated to the Pandemic. r/coronavirus is a news aggregator, and has been a good place to keep up with what is happening around the world. r/covid19 is the Covid scientific subreddit. An excellent source of information on research and data on Covid around the world. Like everything on the internet, a critical eye is needed when following either of these subreddit's, although they seem to be pretty carefully moderated to keep the 'fake news' under control.

One bright spot, at least locally, is that the hoarding and out of control shopping seems to be on the wane. I haven't been shopping since Wednesday or Thursday, but reports are that lines were down this weekend, and stock levels were up. Let's hope the hoarders are now hunkered down, and the rest of society can buy the normal amounts of supplies we need.

Wash your hands, maintain your distance, and stay healthy.

Chris
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A very simple graphic that sets out why it is important to stay at home!
52E71D81-013A-47DF-A63F-2C2CB1B8A182.gif
Send it to any people you know, who seem to lack the understanding of the importance of following government advice.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@PaulJS and others. A crumb of comfort for you.

Its only 'avoid' and not 'must not' but its a start.

From the Gov.uk website.

I had a long weekend to the Brecon Beacons booked for end April / beginning May.

The holiday company I'm using Holiday Cottages are asking anyone with a holiday booked, starting before 4th June to defer it to a later date.

I've simply asked to go at the same time next year.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Danbailey007 »

It's getting a lot more serious now it seems, just received this as I take immunosuppressants.
Screenshot_20200323-114735.jpg
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

My tale, to add to the narrative:

When I was ready to get home from hospital at the start of the year I was offered (and gratefully accepted) a housing association flat. My mental health officer advised that I would need support workers to help keep me on track and afloat back in the real world. They come in twice a day.

On Friday morning I woke up feeling hot. I often get chills and burns, but this is due to stress affecting temperature regulation. However, I couldn’t take risks, and cancelled my support over the weekend. Today the support agency have switched to telephone support. Today I also have a dry cough and a few sneezes and I feel systemically unwell ( a bit scratchy and chilly). I have never before felt like I do, and I think there are other people saying the same thing when they’ve had C-19. So I am certain as I will ever be that I am positive for C-19. I need to self isolate for a week. By the end of the week there will be further steps taken to get people social distancing.

Also today my boiler broke down. No heating or hot water. I can’t, and won’t, let someone in to mend the boiler - I can’t risk someone picking up C-19 and passing it straight on to someone elderly or vulnerable ( and many living in social accommodation are elderly and vulnerable).

This is NOT a :-({|= post!
It’s my way of saying - keep washing your hands, do the social distancing stuff even if you don’t have symptoms, pay attention to a sore throat that feels a bit weird. I heard a doctor on drive time radio with his voice almost cracking , totally bewildered because he didn’t understand why people aren’t staying at home. ‘All we’re asking you to do is sit on your sofa at home’ :thumbup:

Edit : ^^^ danbailey007 - take good care. Demand that other people around you adhere to the strictest possible measures. If someone wants to go against this advice don’t let them in. It’s going to be hard work- post here for respite!
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Danbailey007 »

missF wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:52 pm
Edit : ^^^ danbailey007 - take good care. Demand that other people around you adhere to the strictest possible measures. If someone wants to go against this advice don’t let them in. It’s going to be hard work- post here for respite!
Thanks! I don't feel particularly vulnerable, especially when I have family members that are because of age, medical conditions etc. We've been pretty much self isolating for a while anyway so no visitors but my wife wants to get out with our baby daughter as much as possible to stop them both from going crazy! Looks like they are in for a lot of dog walks!
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

^^^
:thumbup:

We’ll all be working to keep our sanity in coming weeks and months....
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Speedy recovery MissF and hats off for handling this with the utmost care for benefit to others in your building and candidly, country.

danbaily007 it's going to be a bit tricky but for your health please stay safe. I trust you have a support network who can ensure your are supplied with groceries and medication as needed.

Great examples of our forum population and how they've already been directly impacted by CV-19.

Stay Home folks and hand hygiene is always your first thought
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Ian Mc »

As of today my wife, son, daughter in law and myself are now in 2weeks self isolation after d in law came home from work in a supermarket with symptoms.
I was sort of expecting this, but it's come quicker than I thought it would.
Keep well everyone.
Time keeps on slipping into the future
Bahnstormer_vRS

Viognier wrote:Speedy recovery MissF and hats off for handling this with the utmost care for benefit to others in your building and candidly, country.

danbaily007 it's going to be a bit tricky but for your health please stay safe. I trust you have a support network who can ensure your are supplied with groceries and medication as needed.

Great examples of our forum population and how they've already been directly impacted by CV-19.

Stay Home folks and hand hygiene is always your first thought
Can't say more than to totally echo Lance's comments, other than perhaps to say 'Get well soon Lindsey'. Bless you.

Guy

missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Thank you Lance and Guy, but no need.
To be honest I’m finding it really difficult at the moment, because I used to have a job (working in a+e) a long time ago that would have been essential. So it’s hard for me to have nothing essential to offer now, and hard to be on the receiving end of other people’s care.

I had to learn during this hospital stay to let down the barriers and let people help. Suddenly there’s an army of people taking care of me!

:thumbup:
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Bahnstormer_vRS

missF wrote:Thank you Lance and Guy, but no need.
To be honest I’m finding it really difficult at the moment, because I used to have a job (working in a+e) a long time ago that would have been essential. So it’s hard for me to have nothing essential to offer now, and hard to be on the receiving end of other people’s care.

I had to learn during this hospital stay to let down the barriers and let people help. Suddenly there’s an army of people taking care of me!

. . . .and that Army includes your friends on the Forum.

Guy

missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

^^
Indeed! What a great bunch of people you are :D
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

missF wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:52 pm
Also today my boiler broke down. No heating or hot water. I can’t, and won’t, let someone in to mend the boiler - I can’t risk someone picking up C-19 and passing it straight on to someone elderly or vulnerable ( and many living in social accommodation are elderly and vulnerable).
Take it easy missF.

Just a thought re the boiler, and these may be stupid questions. Have you tried to re-set it? Some boilers have a reset button and this can sometimes get them going.

Also, over the years, 9 times out of 10 when my boiler has stopped working and shown an error code, it has been due to low water pressure and simply opening the water inlet value for a few seconds has remedied the issue without the need for a plumber.

Perhaps worth looking to see if there is an error code showing that would confirm the above. Of course this might be more than you feel like looking into but just a thought to save you being without heating and hot water for a week.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

^^^ thanks for the boiler advice! I will have a look online to see if I can find advice. Unfortunately, though, someone was out to fix the boiler a couple of weeks ago, and re-pressurised the system. He said that if the same happened again then re-pressurising was pointless, and it would need a new part :(

It’s strange to realise that we are part of all sorts of different webs that keep us functioning in the world.....
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00