Coronavirus

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Coronavirus

Post by what-time-is-it »

I almost started a thread about this a couple of weeks ago, but thought it would be an over reaction...

Anyway just found out my local medical centre is currently closed with a suspected case, stock markets are all over the place, travel and sporting events potentially in chaos oh and manufacturing in particular from China has all but ground to a halt.

Discuss!
(stay well and don't breathe, cough or sneeze!)
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Coronavirus

Post by TheBeatles »

My only thoughts are that I think the media are responsible for some of the panic/overreaction!!

I’m not down playing the situation but BBC read out a report that 4/5 people in UK could get it. Could, being the operative word.

Let’s try and keep it in perspective. Definitely serious, but let’s not indulge in scaremongering!!

Sometimes I think the media like a crisis, generates viewing figures.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

It focuses the mind when your local doctors surgery that is less than a mile away is closed due to a suspected case - Mrs was there on Tuesday morning. :shock:

Chris
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Well? According to WatchPro BaselWorld has been called off for this year.

My perspective is that Coronovirus is the current zeitgeist in the media / social media.

I've read from several sources that within UK in a 'normal' year c. 1,000 people will die from Influenza ('flu) mostly elderly and those with weakened immune systems. In a bad year its 10,000 deaths.

Where are we now with Coronovirus? A few recorded cases and no fatalities (albeit, yet).

The fatality rate from Coronovirus is <4%; less than Influenza. With Ebola (remember that from a few years ago) it was something like 20% - 30%.

@what-time-is-it - Chris, would they have closed your doctor's surgery for a patient with a dose of 'flu? Bet not.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

Here in the UK it feels like Corona virus is the new Brexit for the media - endless reporting, over dramatisation and predictions of doom!

Given the low mortality rate ( no worse than flu) and the fact that it is those with existing underlying health issues that are at risk, there does seem to be something of an over reaction.

So far there seems to be quite a level headed approach in the UK, despite the media hype, but some other countries seem to be going a bit OTT.

Looking on the upside, diesel is the cheapest it's been for ages and so is heating oil - every cloud and all that!

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

TheBeatles wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:12 pmSometimes I think the media like a crisis, generates viewing figures.
Ya think?! :lol:
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ll be honest, my wife and I are rethinking our planned international travel for this summer. A bit of an overreaction probably, but she’s a little nervous about it. She’s NOT normally one to get nervous about stuff like this (terrorism would never keep her from traveling, for example), so when she’s got that feeling in her belly, I listen to it.

Not to downplay the seriousness of it, but like others have mentioned it does seem like a whole lot of hype in the media. Fear drives clicks, I’m sure.
Drew
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

I wouldn't know Guy, as I never go to the doctors.

We looked at booking a break away a couple of weeks ago for Summer, but held off booking because of the virus.

From a CW perspective, do they source any parts from outside Switzerland? I'm sure somebody mentioned watch cases and/or bezels come from China....

Chris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Setting aside whatever the real likelihood is of catching the virus and suffering anything other than mild symptoms, it is not difficult to envisage a massive worldwide financial impact, particularly given that many major world economies were already slowing.

[Note to self: Neil stay on topic and don’t make observations about other potential adverse economic aspects :silent: :) ]

I noticed in our local stores a few weeks ago that the shelves were devoid of hand gel and looking around the local Supermarket this morning, it is easy to see how easily the virus could be transmitted if people to not observe good standards of personal hygiene. However I haven’t yet read anything specific re how long the virus survives on hard surfaces outside of the body.

I think that thanks to the media hype certain types of business are already noticing a slowdown. I learnt yesterday that the number of customers in a long-standing local restaurant are down a fair bit.

For our part we have decided to put on the back burner booking our main foreign holiday of the year and wait to see how things develop. Fortunately the holidays already booked don’t involve going anywhere near hotels, as the thought of being quarantined in one whilst on holiday doesn’t sound like much fun!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

China have completely shut down their (already strictly limited) internet access and have moved the military into Wuhan, and have restricted further updates.

The F1 Chinese Grand Prix has been delayed/cancelled.

Switzerland has cancelled large events due to its border with Italy, including the huge watch and motor shows it hosts.

The World Health Organisation has rated the risk as Very High.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... face-masks
This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu
It's not media hype...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Theo_s
Junior
Junior

Post by Theo_s »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:00 pm Well? According to WatchPro BaselWorld has been called off for this year.

My perspective is that Coronovirus is the current zeitgeist in the media / social media.

I've read from several sources that within UK in a 'normal' year c. 1,000 people will die from Influenza ('flu) mostly elderly and those with weakened immune systems. In a bad year its 10,000 deaths.

Where are we now with Coronovirus? A few recorded cases and no fatalities (albeit, yet).

The fatality rate from Coronovirus is <4%; less than Influenza. With Ebola (remember that from a few years ago) it was something like 20% - 30%.

@what-time-is-it - Chris, would they have closed your doctor's surgery for a patient with a dose of 'flu? Bet not.

Guy
PaulJS wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:11 pm Here in the UK it feels like Corona virus is the new Brexit for the media - endless reporting, over dramatisation and predictions of doom!

Given the low mortality rate ( no worse than flu) and the fact that it is those with existing underlying health issues that are at risk, there does seem to be something of an over reaction.

So far there seems to be quite a level headed approach in the UK, despite the media hype, but some other countries seem to be going a bit OTT.

Looking on the upside, diesel is the cheapest it's been for ages and so is heating oil - every cloud and all that!

Cheers,

Paul
Many people will claim that the coronavirus has killed far less people than what the influenza virus kills each year. If we look at the figures, that’s perfectly true. Each year, the flu causes somewhere between 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide, whereas the number of people who have unfortunately died due to the coronavirus is just 2,770.
However, despite the fact that it has thus far killed less people than what the influenza virus does every year, it’s the fatality rate and the lack of a cure which has people on edge. If we compare the total number of infections with the fatality rate, then the influenza virus has only killed around 0.1% of the total number of people it has infected. Contrast this with the fatality rate of the coronavirus which currently sits at around 2.3%. That might seem like a very low number, but not when we consider the potential number of people involved. A 2.3% fatality rate is 23-times higher than that of influenza, which suggests that we could potentially be looking at up to 14.8 million deaths if this virus follows the same infection rate as the flu. That’s a scary figure.

Heck, even if we reference the lowest boundary of those flu death, then that still scales up to almost 6.7 million people. Let's be reminded that AIDS killed roughly 570,000 - 1.1 million people in 2018.
Current collection : CW C60 Trident Pro 600 38mm Black/Burgundy, Graf Zeppelin LZ129 Moonphase 36mm, Timex Marlin reissue 34mm
Incoming piece : -
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I work for a national DIY chain, they have been limiting the purchase of dust masks and coveralls to 5 per customer and as a company we have just about run out, panic buying :shock: .it is really p#££#*% off the workman that genuinely need them
Theo_s
Junior
Junior

Post by Theo_s »

kiter65 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:52 pm I work for a national DIY chain, they have been limiting the purchase of dust masks and coveralls to 5 per customer and as a company we have just about run out, panic buying :shock: .it is really p#££#*% off the workman that genuinely need them
Yeah a friend in Italy has asked me if I perhaps knew where to source those masks since health professionals there are running super low on supplies.
Current collection : CW C60 Trident Pro 600 38mm Black/Burgundy, Graf Zeppelin LZ129 Moonphase 36mm, Timex Marlin reissue 34mm
Incoming piece : -
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

kiter65 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:52 pm I work for a national DIY chain, they have been limiting the purchase of dust masks and coveralls to 5 per customer and as a company we have just about run out, panic buying :shock: .it is really p#££#*% off the workman that genuinely need them
I have a huge supply of dust masks used for various hobbies and interests, I am just waiting for the right time to move in and maximise my ebay opportunity..........!

Maybe special rates for forum members :lol:

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

What baffles me is that everyone is rushing out to buy the cheap masks (yes, the ones that always leave gaps no matter how much you fiddle the metal nose clip).

Sure, I get the placebo effect, but unless you have a properly sealed and filtered mask, it's not going to help a great deal if you're in the vicinity of anyone coughing and spluttering virus particles.
Ryan