An (en)grave mistake

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

An (en)grave mistake

Post by strapline »

It seems that a lot of brands offer an engraving service these days, free or with a supplementary cost. Watches are often given as gifts, and to celebrate memorable occasions etc. Then there is the spendy heirloom piece, that is probably intended to migrate from father to son. All of these types of intention can be sufficient reasoning to get a caseback engraved. Much caution should be exercised however; an engraving is a fairly permanent commitment, very similar to a tattoo.

Over time our taste(s) can vary dramatically. That watch that you thought would be on your wrist forever...well...looks too big, too small, too rap star, too Freddie Starr. We don't all start out as watch flippers, but the more you start eyeing up different watches and brands, the greater the likelihood of this happening.

Last year I had a caseback engraved, the first I've had done. I kept it simple: the movement, depth rating, and the wording 'one of a kind". I thought this could refer to the watch, which was custom assembled for me, as well as referring to me (the wearer). I also thought there was a universality about the wording, should I ever feel the overriding urge to flip. Another buyer hopefully wouldn't see this as a insurmountable stumbling block.

I wonder if there are some amusing stories out there pertaining to watch engraving by forum members? Be interesting to hear... :lol:
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Re: An (en)grave mistake

Post by Thunder1 »

Quite a coincidence that someone would bring this subject up!!..I recently sent my Concord Mariner to a Texas gunsmith to have the bracelet and case engraved..got it back from him yesterday afternoon and I think it has an interesting look...I'll take it to my local watch maker Friday and have him re-install the movement and crystal...will try to post pics of this completed project by Saturday...meanwhile, this is what it looked like prior to the engraving project...
Concord Mariner(3).JPG
And the finished product?..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Thunder1 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:17 pm Quite a coincidence that someone would bring this subject up!!..I recently sent my Concord Mariner to a Texas gunsmith to have the bracelet and bezel engraved..got it back from him yesterday afternoon and I think it has an interesting look...I'll take it to my local watch maker Friday and have him re-install the movement and crystal...will try to post pics of this completed project by Saturday...meanwhile, this is what it looked like prior to the engraving project...
Concord Mariner(3).JPG
And the finished product?..
[/quote
Be interesting to see what you've done with this. :shock:
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

StrapMeister wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:56 pm You should check out the following:
https://www.viljomarrandi.com/gallery/
http://www.dwharris.net/engraved-watches.html
Simply amazing 8)
Another coincidence(?)!!..David Harris did the work on it...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Wow! Just had a quick look at the David Harris engraving, that's quite something. I was thinking more along the lines of engravings that had not stood the test of time or were just in bad taste. You know the kind of thing, 'you're my forever candy...love, jelly bean'. Gonna have to go back and look at that David Harris work. :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Magrette does some pretty awesome engraving, with a Maori theme, on some of their watches.

Magrette Rangi and Papa

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

I do appreciate the skill involved but boy do I think they are awful :escape:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

My C65 Trident Vintage was a wedding gift from my wife, so I insisted she have it engraved. My only regret was the number of characters CW limits the engraving to!
D023470C-CD8D-4F63-BEA8-8092AF27FC73.jpeg
Sorry for the slight blur. This is the best image I could get.
Drew
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I can understand and appreciate getting a special message engraved on a watch back, just beware if you will ever want to sell it!

As for getting the case and bracelet ornately engraved, I can really appreciate the artwork but it is just not my cup of tea. I recollect the thread below which links to a video of a Rolex Sub being fully engraved, impressive yet ghastly at the same time.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49245&p=720674&hili ... ex#p720674
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

Not a lot of folks cup of 'jo, but here are some pics before I have it assembled tomorrow..
IMG_1982.JPG
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1990.JPG
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Sorry mate but that looks terrible :shock: certainly one that comes under the thread title
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

pie+key
There's always time for one more.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

It's funny how a thread can pretty much go completely away from what was intended in the original post. When I put this up, I was really suggesting engraved inscriptions that people might have gone on to regret having done. Certainly not entire watch engravings. That said, I didn't even know there was an appetite for such things, let alone people that could provide the service.

I don't think full watch engraving would be for me, but that cushion case Magrette is quite tastefully done, with a fine degree of craftsmanship. If you've decided to have that type of work done, you really need to find an artisan to carry it out. You don't want your watch to look like it has just come out of a seedy tattoo parlour down some back alley in the port of Marseille. :lol: :lol:
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

engraving1.jpg
I got CW to do this one for my wife's birthday a few years ago.
It's made the watch worthless to anyone else, but she is very happy with it.
There's always time for one more.