The Curmudgeons Corner

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Old Bald One
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 12

Re: The Curmudgeons Corner

Post by Old Bald One »

Having been “ furloughed” since March and about to be “ forcibly” retired, I’ve had the “pleasure” of seeing some daytime tv shows, mainly quiz programmes.
Is it me? Is this country raising, or has raised, generations of ignorant youngsters? Things that have been considered “common” knowledge when I was a youngster seem to be alien to younger generations.
E.g. “I don’t know what a peninsula is”, “who are Marlon Brando and Paul Newman?” to mention but two minor instances.
Is it me?
Sea Dweller, Seamaster & Aqua Terra, C9JH, C60, 3xC60 GMT, C60 Vintage, C8 Reg, C10 FLE, C9BDD, C5 BoB, C5 Slimline, 2015 FLE, Some others

My wife asks "how many watches do you need?"
My reply "how many handbags do you need?"
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. This is a bit rubbish. Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain syndrome that also causes sleep and memory problems, speech problems and fatigue ( this is how it’s affecting me anyway - things have been getting worse since I was in hospital). It is connected sometimes with mental illness. A reminder that our mind and body are connected. My busy health years just keep rolling onwards....

I’m working with a physio to get the balance right between exercise and rest. For now I’m narrowing my world right down and getting back to basics. I’m going to retire from the forum to become a shadowy lurker. Sharing my LLD acquisition with you all was awesome, but I don’t have much headspace left for making good contributions to the forum.

It’s always onwards forum friends! If life offers you change, keep taking steps forwards. Best wishes x
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Sorry to hear this news Lindsay. It has been fun getting to know you, though it has surely been too brief. Get well soon. We will all be looking forward to your return.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:26 am I’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. This is a bit rubbish. Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain syndrome that also causes sleep and memory problems, speech problems and fatigue ( this is how it’s affecting me anyway - things have been getting worse since I was in hospital). It is connected sometimes with mental illness. A reminder that our mind and body are connected. My busy health years just keep rolling onwards....

I’m working with a physio to get the balance right between exercise and rest. For now I’m narrowing my world right down and getting back to basics. I’m going to retire from the forum to become a shadowy lurker. Sharing my LLD acquisition with you all was awesome, but I don’t have much headspace left for making good contributions to the forum.

It’s always onwards forum friends! If life offers you change, keep taking steps forwards. Best wishes x
We should arrange for your forum status to be changed to "Shadowy Lurker from a distant galaxy far far away" .

Whatever, keep well, keep safe, get better soon and don't inhabit they shadows for too long. :wave:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

Last week - 17th July - we got a email from Jet2 Holidays stating our holiday in Oct was a go, so yesterday - 19th July - we paid it off - over £2000. Today we got a email off Jet2 saying our holiday was cancelled as they are only flying on a Saturday from Manchester from now on!! :thumbdown: Strange they waited for us to make the full payment Grrrrrrr
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Baseball in an empty ballpark just sucks. Thanks coronavirus!
Drew
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

A dog jumped up at me yesterday evening while I was out for a run along a local towpath. I don't think there was any aggressive intent on behalf of the dog, it just scratched the side of my calf. But within seconds I was sporting a lump the size of a golf ball! Spent the rest of the evening in A&E as a precaution and am on antibiotics for a week and currently have one leg bigger than the other!

The dog owner wasn't particularly apologetic. The dog was leashed, but apparently I had the brass neck to run past them, even forewarning of my presence.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

“We are currently experiencing an unusually high volume of calls.”

Surely you can’t experience an unusually high volume of calls all the time, or it ceases to be unusual?

Wouldn’t it be best to say that you don’t have enough people answering the telephone?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I don’t make the rules.....when entering my store just wear a mask.....FFS how hard can it be....you only have to wear it for a few minutes without giving me a load of grief...worrying thing is it’s not just one or two
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

What a sh*#*y week.. left mobile phone on roof of car whilst loading up and distracted drove off.. v smashed up phone recovered from A road.
Woke to find our American style fridge/freezer dead, both sides were full. Lots of ruined food and apparently more expensive to fix than replace.
Currently camping at Brands Hatch (Historic Festival) with my 7yo, tent pole just splintered in 2 places on our new (quality tent), leaving us with a collapsed tent and very panicked son.
Rant over 😬😁
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

Grumpy as too windy to go for a ride tonight ....First world problems eh? :)
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I’m a week and a half in to three weeks of in-service before school resumes virtually after Labor Day and I can say with 100% certitude that I have no idea what h*ll I’m doing! And I’m pretty sure no one around me has any idea what they’re doing either. Nor anyone in administration.

I feel like I’ve been tasked with building a bike, while I’m riding it, and all the nuts & bolts are British imperial system but my tools are all metric, and I’m blindfolded with mittens on...oh, and the world’s on fire.

I got this....

767F05A1-0492-4044-9B80-0BAB51BD3AF2.gif
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

So let me see if I understand the expectations for virtual distance learning. I should not simply do live lecture & discussion with my students because that’s not leveraging technology to actively engage students in the learning process. Instead, I should record a voice over of my lecture over the PowerPoint presentation. Then import this into EdPuzzle so that I can insert questions at points in the video that students will have to answer before moving on. This then gets uploaded to YouTube so that YouTube can generate closed captions. I then download the newly closed caption video, post this assignment to our fancy new LMS for students to watch on their own. I now understand why Socrates drank the hemlock. Just four more years....
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Teaching in the age of Covid. That one box with the camera on is me. So inspiring....

I don’t know why the picture is showing up upside down, but it does seem kind of fitting.

37C36583-5121-422F-9753-3A8BDF554CFF.jpeg
Drew
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Daytona men’s watch. Estate item. No history.

>>> rest of ad <<< then the final line...

NEEDS BATTERY

Yeah, right...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier