What are your other “addictions?”

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

What are your other “addictions?”

Post by jkbarnes »

It’s clear quite a few of the forum members have a bit of a watch addiction. I’m curious about what other “addictions” we’re all suffering from.

My current addictions:
* Vintage bar ware: the collection is growing faster than my storage space
* Whisk(e)y: single malt scotch, bourbon, rye...whatever. I love it all
* Quality shoes: I’m a little embarrassed by this one, but hey, it is what it is
* All things Steve McQueen

Past addictions I seem to have recovered from:
* Cameras and prime lenses: I’ve finally settled on one body and 2 lenses (or 3 depending on the circumstances)
* Electric guitars: I’ve finally realized my ability on the guitar does not warrant the number of guitars I have. While I can’t part with the ones I have, I’m not actively adding more

I’m sure I’ve forgotten something.

*** Edited so the list actually shows up on TapTalk.
Drew
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Re: What are your other addictions?

Post by WalterSMonaco »

Cars... I’ve owned multiple Corvettes, Jaguar F type, Acura NSX x2 and various others.

Racing ... very pricey weekend hobby. I should take up golf ...

MC
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro GMT
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Apart from watches, the only thing I seem to have more of than I really need is wallets. I know a lovely leather shop in Cyprus and I usually buy a couple of wallets whenever I go. I keep them in a drawer and swap them every week or so. I have about 15 now so I probably shouldn't buy any more. I probably won't as they're certainly not an addiction.

I enjoy many things, but I'm not obsessive about any of them and I certainly do not have the collector's mentality. My interests are too eclectic.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer

Post by downer »

Aside from a vague desire to fill my garage with motorcycles I have no obsessive collection issues at all. Not a single one. I need to get addicted to exercise, but that doesn't seem to be happening...
Richard
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I'll take the 5th on that one......
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

In no particular order:-

Jack Daniels (I’m a member of the Tennessee Squire Association, as was Frank Sinatra and other celebrities)

The Beatles

Country Music

NUFC (a punishment from a previous life), I’m one of the few supporters alive that have seen them win something important in 1969. I was in Hungary for the Fairs Cup Final
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

A number of other interests but nothing I could describe as an addiction or anything I particularly collect.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Apart from watches, the only thing I seem to have more of than I really need is wallets. I know a lovely leather shop in Cyprus and I usually buy a couple of wallets whenever I go. I keep them in a drawer and swap them every week or so. I have about 15 now so I probably shouldn't buy any more. I probably won't as they're certainly not an addiction.

I enjoy many things, but I'm not obsessive about any of them and I certainly do not have the collector's mentality. My interests are too eclectic.
That's probably the equivalent to a woman having multiple handbags Steve, but isn't it all rather a faff changing over the contents?

I have one wallet, mid brown leather, a few years old and with glorious patination, without yet being in the getting dog eared stage. Oh, and Chr.WARD London and a Cw Steel button inside.

Addictions? Not really. Just a few vices and pleasures.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:23 am That's probably the equivalent to a woman having multiple handbags Steve, but isn't it all rather a faff changing over the contents?
Faff? Debit card x1, Credit Card x1, AA card, gym card, driving licence, a few banknotes...seconds.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:23 am That's probably the equivalent to a woman having multiple handbags Steve, but isn't it all rather a faff changing over the contents?
Faff? Debit card x1, Credit Card x1, AA card, gym card, driving licence, a few banknotes...seconds.
Hmm.

14 assorted plastic cards, driving license (including paper version in original DVLA plastic sleeve), bank notes (sometimes).

Maybe I have an addiction after all.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ I'm a simple soul at heart, Guy.

My holi-wally is even slimmer. Room key and a few euros. The rest is locked in the safe.
Steve

iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Football scarves is my main one. It started with me buying them as souvenirs from European cities I had visited, then others started to bring them back for me as well.

I don’t collect English teams but do have a couple from non league sides bought as gifts. I have around 70 now but Mrs Iain insists they are kept hidden from visitors.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Do you ever wear them, Iain?

The reason I ask is because I do wear/use all my watches and wallets, if only occasionally in some cases. I've known for a long time that I could never just "collect". Good job we're all different, eh?
Steve

PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

My watch addiction has stagnated for a couple of years, partly due to a change in lifestyle but mostly because I am more than content with what I have.

However, other addictions include:

Vintage Hi-Fi which, possibly contentiously, I think sounds a lot better than new stuff. I currently have 11 sets of speakers dating back to 1974 plus a turntable that I am trying to restore to it's former working glory. The hunt for some vintage electronics to go between them is ongoing as, unfortunately, realisation seems to have dawned on a wider audience that amplifiers of a previous era with transformers the weight of a concrete block sound far better than today's lightweight offerings.

Cars. For our relocation across the country I had to sell all but our two main 4 X 4 vehicles as moving five cars wasn't practical. I am now slowly building the collection back up, much to my wife's dismay :D
Plus the impending kit car build due to commence when it is warm enough to spend more than an hour in the barn.

Vintage tractors. I have wanted one for years and realised my ambition a few months ago with the acquisition of a Fordson Power Major. It needs light rejuvenation, which I have started, but I have already got my eye on the next one- a David Brown 880 that needs a lot more work. A friend of mine has around a dozen Pre seventees tractors, so I have a way to go yet!!

And finally the most important addiction............... Money to fund all of the above plus my wife's horse addiction so that I have free time while she is off playing ponies!!

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:21 am Do you ever wear them, Iain?

The reason I ask is because I do wear/use all my watches and wallets, if only occasionally in some cases. I've known for a long time that I could never just "collect". Good job we're all different, eh?
I used to wear them quite regularly. This changed after I was in Belfast and went to a Glentoran match and bought a “smart” football scarf. While it is still in the team colours of red, green and black, doesn’t actually look like a football scarf. This is now the only one I wear.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.