A little British-American Humour

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

A little British-American Humour

Post by Lavaine » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:22 am

Since the vast majority of our forum members are Brtish or American, most of you should appreciate this one.
83222487_1988901551255977_3111778173310730240_n.jpg
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.

Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: A little British-American Humour

Post by Kansas City Milkman » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 am

I see the humour in most things, but not this. More of a dig than a gag.

Bungle-ator
Senior
Senior

Post by Bungle-ator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:28 am

I'd agree it's more of a dig, but it's still true all the same. It's probably quite old as well, in the sense that is only really the older generations that still live on meat and potatoes.
British food doesn't really have an identity anymore and that's why we all make Italian, Indian, French food etc.

I still find these things funny. The full debates are better. Cheese comes from a tube in the USA 🤣

trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 12

Post by trsullivan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 am

:silent: It is amazing how many things are forgotten as time goes by. Up until the influx of non-english speaking immigrants in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, American cuisine was largely derived from that of England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and Germany. Native American cooking had some influence, as did that of the Spanish and French, but that was more limited by geography, availability, and affordability. The Industrial Revolution, railroads, and reliable refrigeration made meat and potatoes available to the masses, but most of us subsisted on locally procured meats and locally grown produce, both in England and America. Spices were expensive, and mainly used to disguise spoiling foods and protect bad cooks.

Bungle-ator is right, cheese does come in tubes in America. Just turn on the telly, and tune to the news channels... :silent:
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC
C3 FLE

PaulJS
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 am

Just to develop the theme and add a little balance ...

An American was telling one of his favorite jokes to a group of friends. "Hell is a place where the cooks are British, the waiters are French, the policemen are Germans, and the trains are run by Italians."

The lone European in the group pondered all this for a second and responded, "I can't say about the police and the trains, but you're probably right about going out to eat. A restaurant in Hell would be one where the cooks are British and the waiters are French - and the customers are all Americans."

>>>>

An American attending a formal ceremony in Britain listens as the formalities end with the singing of "God Save the Queen". As a reception begins afterwards, he strolls up to one of his British acquaintances and accosts her with a musical observation.

"That was a very nice song you folks just sang, but it wasn't very inventive of you to use that particular tune."

The Brit looks at him quizically and asks. "What do you mean? That's always been "God Save the Queen

"Well," the American replied, "I guess you Brits don't even realize how much you owe us Americans. The words were new, but that tune was clearly plagiarized from our "My Country, 'Tis of Thee".

>>>

What do you call a person who professionally generates maps of the world?
A cartographer.

What do you call an academician who studies the global distribution of resources or cultural characteristics?
A geographer.

What do you call a person who is ignorant of global geography?
An American.

>>>

Noteworthy dates in 20th-Century American history:
1917 - When World War I began.
1918 - When the U.S. won World War I.
1941 - When World War II began.
1945 - When the U.S. won World War II.

I could go on but it's of limited entertainment value when the target is so easy :D

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 28
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am

The most popular food in the UK today is . .
. . . Curry.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

C20 FLE |C4 |C4&W7 BBMF |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkI 47AD |C7 MkII Harrier |C70 x3
C8 MkI |C8 Reg MkII |C8 M2.04 LE |C8 UTC |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC LE |C90 PR |C60 K'fisher |C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex |C60 Chrono P'type |C65 Khaki |C65 S'hurst |C65 GMT |C600 |C1000

Bungle-ator
Senior
Senior

Post by Bungle-ator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am

PaulJS wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 am

>>>

Noteworthy dates in 20th-Century American history:
1917 - When World War I began.
1918 - When the U.S. won World War I.
1941 - When World War II began.
1945 - When the U.S. won World War II.

I could go on but it's of limited entertainment value when the target is so easy :D

Cheers,

Paul
The irony of the US helping finish wars when all they do today is start them and run away

trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by trsullivan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:46 am

Paul, you've hit some of my countrymen dead straight on. Hell is where one goes to suffer, right? We won't say anything about old British drinking songs, but the noteworthy dates are correct, at least as I remember them being taught in my youth. Sad that.
Tom
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC
C3 FLE

trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by trsullivan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:02 pm

Bungle-ator wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am

The irony of the US helping finish wars when all they do today is start them and run away
In its heyday, the British Empire held sway over all of the Middle East and Southwest Asia. Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Afghanistan were all part of that.

I acknowledge that nothing lasts forever, least of all the Pax Americana (such as it is), but, pray tell me, sir, what of the mighty British Empire, today?
Tom
C3 FLE

Bungle-ator
Senior
Senior

Post by Bungle-ator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:28 pm

trsullivan wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:02 pm
Bungle-ator wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am

In its heyday, the British Empire held sway over all of the Middle East and Southwest Asia. Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Afghanistan were all part of that.

I acknowledge that nothing lasts forever, least of all the Pax Americana (such as it is), but, pray tell me, sir, what of the mighty British Empire, today?
The British "Empire" belongs in the history books. Britain has no right to "own" other countries. What has really become of it I guess are decent relations in many 3rd world countries where our government gives a little bit back so to speak (in more ways than one, whether it be financial, peace keeping, trade etc). I've a friend that's done good work (diplomatic) in Pakistan, Afghanistan, DRC, (amongst others) and now Zambia. Without the history his postings and work probably would've been very different (maybe not so with Afghanistan).

borderman
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by borderman » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 pm

I'm not offended just good humoured banter as my dad used to say being a WW11 vet when the Germans opened fire the Brits took cover
when the Brits opened fire the Germans took cover when the Yanks opened fire everyone took cover :D
Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.

PaulJS
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:54 pm

trsullivan wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:46 am
Paul, you've hit some of my countrymen dead straight on. Hell is where one goes to suffer, right? We won't say anything about old British drinking songs, but the noteworthy dates are correct, at least as I remember them being taught in my youth. Sad that.
The irony is that when I see how some of my countrymen behave when abroad ( and on a Friday night out at home for that matter) it makes me ashamed to be British - we actively select holiday destinations to minimise the likelihood of having any British in the locale. A favoured destination is in a part of Mexico that the British don't seem to have really discovered where we have met many extremely pleasant American holiday fellow holiday makers.

All nationalities have their good, bad and ugly!!!

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by trsullivan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:02 pm

borderman wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 pm
I'm not offended just good humoured banter as my dad used to say being a WW11 vet when the Germans opened fire the Brits took cover
when the Brits opened fire the Germans took cover when the Yanks opened fire everyone took cover :D
Dave
I've read about this. Comes first from the North African campaign, green troops and greener leaders, learning their trade the hard way.
Hard for others, that is. :D
Tom
C3 FLE