It's good to be back

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
christam
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

It's good to be back

Post by christam » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:38 pm

It’s been a long time – 2 years since I last appeared here? Anyway, I’ll try to make this as succinct as possible …….

*For those who don’t know, I had a procedure called a complete femoral replacement – an all-in-one replacement of hip, femur and knee – in 2017. I live in Bournemouth and the surgery was done at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre (aka the NOC and a centre of excellence) at Oxford. I was there for 5 months.*

The long-story-short version of what followed is that the leg developed a nasty infection 6 months later so in 2018 I ended up spending another 3 months in hospital, first locally and then at the NOC. I had a full revision (replacement) of the original femoral replacement, then started a 9-month course of very strong antibiotics designed to eradicate any remaining infection. Finally, in March of this year I went back to the NOC again to have the hip replaced in the other leg. It had needed doing for 5 years but had been put on hold while the struggle to save my left leg was ongoing. During most of 2018 and the early part of 2019 my mobility was so poor that I was confined to a wheelchair.

After the hip replacement this year I was able at long last to undertake real physiotherapy, and a wonderful community physiotherapist started visiting me at home. She always knew exactly what I needed to do to make the next bit of progress and because I was determined to get myself more mobile again I was actually very good about doing the exercises. It was hard work but watching the slow yet constant improvement really helped with motivation.

Now, a few months later, I’m mobilising with one crutch and still seeing small bits of progress every week. It seems a bit like a miracle that the left leg has regained so much strength and that I’m able to bend the knee again.

From the surgery in 2017 until the one this year, I was on very high levels of pain relief and to be honest, they addled my brain. It was probably only functioning at about 60% capacity for most of that time and I simply couldn’t be bothered to keep up with the various forums I’d previously enjoyed. I’ve spent the past 5 months gradually cutting down on the pain meds, I’ve become “me” again, and it’s great. So here I am!

The accident which originally wrecked my leg happened in 2012 and people have often asked how I kept going when so much seemed to keep going wrong. The answer’s three-fold:
One, I’ve got a strong, supportive and loving family.
Two, I met so many patients at the NOC whose situations were far worse than mine yet they kept battling on and looking towards the future with optimism.
Three, I’m one of those very lucky people whose cup is always half full so that even when things seemed at their worst, I never stopped believing they’d improve. A positive outlook is so important if you’re in a situation like that and I know how lucky I am that mine (almost) never wavered.

Finally, thanks to all of you who sent private messages of support, or just to find out how I was doing. I know I didn’t reply to most of them (addled brain ……) but I read them all and they meant a lot.

I’ll try to stick around for a while now that I’ve checked in again :)
I am not a collector of watches. I used to be able to say that and know I was telling the truth.

downer
LE-foura: Yes

Re: It's good to be back

Post by downer » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:45 pm

That's quite a journey! Welcome back!
Richard

Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Thegreyman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:46 pm

Welcome back!

It sounds like you've been through a lot but now seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, the fact you are posting here again is a great sign and testament to that.
Patrick

C7 Hornet COSC LE, C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C60 Trident mk2.5 White/Red, C65 Ombre COSC LE, W11(wife)

Some others + a few on the way

0uatiOW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by 0uatiOW » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Blimey, and ouch. Welcome back to the forum - a lot has happened in the last 24 months, and much has changed in the world of CW.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.

borderman
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by borderman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:49 pm

WOW welcome back :clap:
Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.

Paul Drawmer
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by Paul Drawmer » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:50 pm

Strong lady - well done. It sounds as if you're getting a good view of the light at the end of the tunnel, and you know how to eat an elephant!
There's always time for one more.

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by nbg » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:54 pm

Welcome back, good to hear things are now moving in the right direction.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK

MiniMpi
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 21

Post by MiniMpi » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Welcome back !!!
Delighted to see you on here again.
I knew you were going through major surgery but I hadn't realized how traumatic it was for you and such difficulties you have overcome.
You should be very proud of yourself.

Keep strong and you'll get there.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum again.
C65 SH21 LE #070/150, C9 AM GT LE #001, C60 Ombré #001, C1-GM-5DA, C9-JH-MK3, C7 Proto, C11 Elite, C7 Bluebird, C70 Ascari, C70 HRDC, C7 COSC LE, C65 Diver, C65 MK1 LE, C60 MK3, C60 316L LE, C60 GMT MK2, C60-TI-V2, C8 UTC, C8 MK2, C600-IPB, C5 MK3.

Thermexman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Welcome back. What a journey though!
Steve.

scooter
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:47 pm

I hadn't realised quite how bad your situation was.

So glad to hear that you are now put back together again and all is working well.

I certainly missed you.

scooter xxx
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)

jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:21 pm

Welcome back! I hope your journey to full recovery is a short one.

welshlad
CW-watches: 9

Post by welshlad » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:30 pm

Welcome back. So glad to hear of your recovery so far. That shows real determination. Big respect to you.
CWL C60 Mk2 x2 | C65 SH21 | C70 x4 | C8 | C15
Omega Speedy | AT8500 | AT2500 | PO Ti Rolex Exp | Sub
Zenith EP1969 Damasko DA44 Seiko 55 Fathoms
Citizen Promaster Tissot V8 Vratislavia S6 Luch 1Hand

gaf1958
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 30

It's good to be back

Post by gaf1958 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:40 pm

While it must have been a difficult path to get back to where you now are, I’m very glad to hear that, eventually, it has been a successful journey. My former next door neighbour (I’ve moved) had both hips replaced and I saw how long that took for him without the added complications of femur and knee along with the hip, then having infection set in.

My wife often says that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger; you’re a fighter Christa, that’s for sure. I’m pleased to see you back on the forum and I hope that everything continues to improve for you. Welcome back!
CWL C1+4xC3+7xC6/60+3xC7+C9+C11+7xC60T+5xC65+C70+C600
Omega Ω 7xSpeedy+9xSeamaster+2xConnie+DeVille+Dynamic
Zenith+2xTudor+5xFarer+4xOris+7xMagrette+29xSeiko+9xVtg
B&R+Hamilton+LumTec+Lacroix+Mido+MkII+2xSteinhart+3xVisitor+more
Family 12xCW+2xΩ

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 7
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:11 pm

Quite a story. Thank you for sharing it and well done on your progress thus far. Per Ardua Ad Astra.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

christam
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by christam » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:05 am

Goodness, it's so good to see all those familiar names. Thanks, everyone, for the welcome.

Just to give you all a smiley (adjective from the noun smile, in case scooter's watching) moment ......... I'm hoping to go abroad on holiday next year and can't wait to see how much fun airport security will have trying to decide whether I'm hiding a lethal weapon or three about my person.
I am not a collector of watches. I used to be able to say that and know I was telling the truth.