Car phone cradle

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
josbrownlie
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 7

Car phone cradle

Post by josbrownlie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Does anybody use a cradle for their mobile phone in the car and would you recommend it ?

Previously I've had great success and happiness with a scoosche magnetic jobbie but they don't seem to work as well in my new car
FS: MSTR MAJOR MJ106TL Gold/Black viewtopic.php?f=46&t=51230

Breitling B-1, CWL C9 Big Day Date x2, C60 Trident 300, C9 Jumping Hour Mk III, C9 Moonphase, C60 Trident Pro 600 x2, Steinhart Ocean 1

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 28
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Re: Car phone cradle

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:09 pm

I've had the Mag Mount from Pitaka recommended to me as being the bees knees of phone holders. They're quite pricey but properly top end.

Snag is the corresponding phone cases are only available for iPhone and Samsung Galaxy / Note and I have a Sony Xperia. :(

Keep meaning to research holders on Mobile Fun who have more regular priced items; aiming to get an Air Vent one as I don't want to clutter up the view from through the windscreen.

Really ought to get this sorted as I'm travelling around quite a bit these days on my own and to have Google Maps or Waze available could be useful. Alternatively, perhaps I should just change my car for one with a fitted SatNav! :o

Guy
C20 FLE |C4 |C4&W7 BBMF |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkI 47AD |C7 MkII Harrier |C70 x3
C8 MkI |C8 Reg MkII |C8 M2.04 LE |C8 UTC |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC LE |C90 PR |C60 K'fisher |C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex |C60 Chrono P'type |C65 Khaki |C65 Sandhurst |C600 x2 |C1000

monkeymax
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by monkeymax » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:14 pm

I've been using this all year:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RVHC2B0
Like Guy I don't like having my windscreen obscured and on my car this placed the phone in a good, visible place, while also not intruding anywhere. And as I use the Bluetooth on the phone to listen to Podcasts, I don't feel like I'm missing out on not listening to CDs either.

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by jtc » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:50 am

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:09 pm
I've had the Mag Mount from Pitaka recommended to me as being the bees knees of phone holders. They're quite pricey but properly top end.

Snag is the corresponding phone cases are only available for iPhone and Samsung Galaxy / Note and I have a Sony Xperia. :(

Keep meaning to research holders on Mobile Fun who have more regular priced items; aiming to get an Air Vent one as I don't want to clutter up the view from through the windscreen.

Really ought to get this sorted as I'm travelling around quite a bit these days on my own and to have Google Maps or Waze available could be useful. Alternatively, perhaps I should just change my car for one with a fitted SatNav! :o

Guy
Manufacturer satnav is old news, get one with Android Auto (or the Apple equivalent for iPhone users). The former is brilliant! Waze and Spotify on the screen in my wife's Fiesta feels like the future :lol:
Jon

Sales Corner Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Halios | Oris | Seiko | Casio

josbrownlie
Guru
Guru

Post by josbrownlie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:14 am

Yeah I was going to say changing your car for one with sat nav seems like a backward step. Although my new car does have on board sat nav I don't use it as it's not as up to date as Google maps and it certainly doesn't have live traffic updates
FS: MSTR MAJOR MJ106TL Gold/Black viewtopic.php?f=46&t=51230

Breitling B-1, CWL C9 Big Day Date x2, C60 Trident 300, C9 Jumping Hour Mk III, C9 Moonphase, C60 Trident Pro 600 x2, Steinhart Ocean 1

Bungle-ator
Senior
Senior

Post by Bungle-ator » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:34 am

^^^^I can't stand using Google maps on Android auto but that might change one day. For now I'm much happier with the inbuilt sat nav.

As for a phone holder, is blue tac not sufficient?

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:23 am

Bungle-ator wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:34 am
^^^^I can't stand using Google maps on Android auto but that might change one day. For now I'm much happier with the inbuilt sat nav.

Give Waze a go - same map detail (Google bought them) but much friendlier interface :thumbup:
Jon

Sales Corner Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Halios | Oris | Seiko | Casio

Amor Vincit Omnia
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:54 am

Bungle-ator wrote:^^^^I can't stand using Google maps on Android auto but that might change one day. For now I'm much happier with the inbuilt sat nav.

There speaks a man after my own heart. My phone remains in my bag with the ringtone switched off when I’m driving, and I use the inbuilt satnav if I don’t know where I’m going or I think there may be traffic problems. Of course, I don’t have to use the car for work, apart from getting there – in fact I’m not allowed to have the ringer on at work either. At least, not when I’m teaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Bungle-ator
Senior
Senior

Post by Bungle-ator » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:00 am

jtc wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:23 am
Bungle-ator wrote:

Give Waze a go - same map detail (Google bought them) but much friendlier interface :thumbup:
Naaah, I quite likey the one in my Skoda and I don't need to wire up my phone for that.

atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:30 pm

I stick to old-school.

sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:21 pm

Bungle-ator wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:00 am
jtc wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:23 am
Bungle-ator wrote:

Naaah, I quite likey the one in my Skoda and I don't need to wire up my phone for that.
Ha, interestingly I hate the one in my Skoda. Android Auto all the way

magicman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by magicman » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:38 pm

I've got this, automatic open/close, nice tight grip on the phone and vent grasp.
Wireless charging too.
NANAMI Wireless Car Charger Mount
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H32QGHW/ ... RDbBXS02X5

Regards Steve

gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:58 pm

i don't know if it's possible to get these in Europe, but both my wife and i have Pro Clip mounts in our cars.

https://www.proclipusa.com/

They're car-specific mounts. They're designed to fit into specific places within the interior structure of your car, with pieces pushing into gaps in the dashboard with clips or onto the top/bottom of things like vents. very sturdy mounts. different cars have multiple areas (usually 2-3) that they can be mounted in. very sturdy, well made. it's a two piece system, with the car mount being one piece (specific to your car) and the phone mount being another (to fit a general range, choose one your phone will fit into).

for example, these are the two locations on my nissan frontier. These are the base plates that the phone mount attaches to.
proclip.PNG
not cheap. but they don't look so "add on" like the magnetic, CD, vent, dash, or windshield mount and they have a long life. the car mount i have in my truck is already 12 yrs old (bought the pro clip w/in the first month i had it) and still works perfectly. i've changed the phone mount side a few times as i've swapped phones.
the "g" is for Greg...

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 28
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:41 pm

gwells wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:58 pm
i don't know if it's possible to get these in Europe, but both my wife and i have Pro Clip mounts in our cars.

https://www.proclipusa.com/

They're car-specific mounts. They're designed to fit into specific places within the interior structure of your car, with pieces pushing into gaps in the dashboard with clips or onto the top/bottom of things like vents. very sturdy mounts. different cars have multiple areas (usually 2-3) that they can be mounted in. very sturdy, well made. it's a two piece system, with the car mount being one piece (specific to your car) and the phone mount being another (to fit a general range, choose one your phone will fit into).

for example, these are the two locations on my nissan frontier. These are the base plates that the phone mount attaches to.

proclip.PNG

not cheap. but they don't look so "add on" like the magnetic, CD, vent, dash, or windshield mount and they have a long life. the car mount i have in my truck is already 12 yrs old (bought the pro clip w/in the first month i had it) and still works perfectly. i've changed the phone mount side a few times as i've swapped phones.
Great shout Greg. :clap: :clap:

The proclipusa website appears to be USA specific; certainly doesn't has a number of European cars listed e.g. Skoda.

Did some googling and found Brodit who are a UK company, selling proclips.

Very much like the idea of a more secure, and neater, fixing. :thumbup:

Guy
C20 FLE |C4 |C4&W7 BBMF |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkI 47AD |C7 MkII Harrier |C70 x3
C8 MkI |C8 Reg MkII |C8 M2.04 LE |C8 UTC |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC LE |C90 PR |C60 K'fisher |C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex |C60 Chrono P'type |C65 Khaki |C65 Sandhurst |C600 x2 |C1000

gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 am

awesome. i figured since the site name was proclipUSA, that there was a possibility that there was a non-US distributor.
the "g" is for Greg...