Rugby World Cup

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Rugby World Cup

Post by TigerChris »

I think there’s quite a few on here that will be looking in on the World Cup so I thought I’d create a quick thread to discuss :thumbup:

Who do we think are the favourites? Will there be any surprises? How much will Rob Howleys antics effect Wales?

Let’s get some opinions :thumbup:
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Rugby World Cup

Post by TheBeatles »

I started to watch Japan vs Russia, but the scrolling above the score at the top of the screen is doing my head in.

A small picky point I know, but it has spoilt the WC already for me. Looks like I’ll have more spare time than anticipated over the next month :(

I changed channels and watched Law and Order!!

We know it’s the World Cup,

We know which group is involved,

And, we certainly know which half it is. Just look at the time duration.

Maybe I should have posted this in “Curmudgeon Corner” :D
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I don't see England or Wales (and certainly not France) as consistent enough. Scotland not quite good enough, though improving.

SA and AUS haven't been that impressive over the last couple of years.

NZ are not quite what they were, but I wouldn't be surprised if they contest the final with Ireland (assuming they avoid each other in the KO)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Wales will walk it, of course. 8-[

Meanwhile, back in the real world I think it's between NZ and RSA (who have been very impressive lately).

But, overall, I'm just looking forward to watching some quality rugby, whoever is playing. It's going to be great and the way that the Japanese public seem to be throwing themselves into it is fantastic too. It's a good job they won their opening game today!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

I'm gonna try and keep up with it, but the Super League and NRL Play Offs are clashing with it. Hopefully I'll catch all the England games and a few others to get a gauge as to who has the chances, so this thread might just help me keep up with it
neiltallen
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by neiltallen »

Stand out game is tomorrow (NZ v SA) - if NZ win, and don't pick up any injuries, then i think they will win the cup again.

12 Oct England V France will be good, but i think by then 1st / 2nd will already have been decided in the group so it may be dead rubber.

Watched the opener today, Japan i thought played well as host nation, and they have 8 days i think until they face Ireland, so i looking forward to that game. Most of the other group games i will probably give a miss (Geogia v Fiji for example).

The real winner will be Japan as hosts i hope :D
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Either of NZ or SA for me (hardly a groundbreaking tip).

They play each other in the first game and quite frankly know that they'll both qualify regardless. They'll have the chance to rest and rotate players for the rest of the group games and will be fresh for the QF.
Amor Vincit Omnia

neiltallen wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:47 pm Most of the other group games i will probably give a miss (Geogia v Fiji for example).
These games can often be fun as the Pacific Islanders get more chance to show what they can do with ball in hand, and their skills are sometimes dazzling. Against the big boys their creativity is stifled because they are always defending and don’t get enough possession.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Absolutely disgraceful! I’ve just sat to watch half an hour of the England game before I have to go out and hearing people in the crowd shouting and making noise while a silence is being observed is disgraceful.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Young Kiwi referee Paul Williams, in his first World Cup game (England v Tonga), is impressing me, getting decisions right and clearly explaining his reasoning. More of this please.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
welshlad

Post by welshlad »

0uatiOW wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:04 pm Young Kiwi referee Paul Williams, in his first World Cup game (England v Tonga), is impressing me, getting decisions right and clearly explaining his reasoning. More of this please.
Yes, I thought he was excellent. Credit where it's due.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Indeed, he was impressive.

So far, Wales are the only T1 team we have not seen in action. England have work to do, a convincing win against a team that scrapped hard, but littered with handling errors. Ireland looked good at times but were flattered by a woeful Scottish performance. Australia, South Africa and France will all need to improve as well.

England had to live with the Old Men tag in 2003, and that has been levelled at New Zealand this time. Didn’t seem to bother them too much, did it? They looked a class better than anyone else I have seen this weekend.
Steve

welshlad

Post by welshlad »

I'd pretty much agree with your assessment, Steve.

I planned to "work from home" tomorrow while the Wales match was on, but now I have to meet with my boss instead, so that's that plan out the window! #-o
Amor Vincit Omnia

Not sure you will miss that much, Steve. This probably ought to be the most convincing BP win in the first round of pool games, and I wouldn’t expect it to tell us much about how Wales will perform against the better teams, especially Australia.

I think their main objective tomorrow, apart from the big win, will be to remain injury free.
Steve

Rebnats
Senior
Senior

Post by Rebnats »

Waiting for my first game tomorrow hope I can last 80 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600
C65 Trident GMT.

Tag Heuer McLaren .
Tissot Classic T Touch.
Seiko Starfish.