Is it just me?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Gasman
Senior
Senior

Is it just me?

Post by Gasman »

I own 3xRolex 3xOmega 2xTudor 1xIWC 2xOris. But now I’ve taken to liking more budget watches. I like Oris, Christopher Ward and Lum-Tec. I seem to not want to wear my “posh” watches as much as my lower end. Is this felt by others? or is it just me? :oops:
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Re: Is it just me?

Post by DavecUK »

I think it's entirely normal. You bought Rolex because you didn't have one, then you bought Omega because you didn't have and wanted one, then an Oris. You might be a watch or horology gourmand, meant in the nicest possible way. You like different watches and they push your buttons in different ways. I'm the same. I like Rolex, I like Tudor I like Solar, Spring drive, Atomic, bluetooth, 262 KHz, tritium 100 exp flat tubes, possibly Nite watches, fully luminous dials e.g. Damasko Si57, silicon hair spring and lightweight balance/escapements, SH21 and 5 days power, chronometer grade, thermal body heat powered, Kinetic, Invicta etc..

I love em all as long as there is something unusual about a watch (if they are cheap no problem)...what I personally don't like is to have 3 or 4 watches that are the same...I really like at that Tudor Black bay for sale in the used section of the forum, the one with the red ceramic. Nice movement silicon hairspring, lightened balance and escapement 70 hours power I think, very nice watch, just a little more than I want to pay.

Some people have tightly focussed collections, others want to have a wide ranging experience...nothing wrong in that, In fact it's fantastic to be able to enjoy a watch for what it is and not what it's worth.

Wear your Oris with pride, grab and Invicta pro diver and have fun with it....be amazed at what automatic you can get for £60 (special offer). 2 of my favourite wear watches £40 battered old casio tough solar atomic, My Oris 7502 diver ETA 2824-2 (version with the nice hands) that sits like silk on my wrist.
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

Gasman wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:31 pm I own 3xRolex 3xOmega 2xTudor 1xIWC 2xOris. But now I’ve taken to liking more budget watches. I like Oris, Christopher Ward and Lum-Tec. I seem to not want to wear my “posh” watches as much as my lower end. Is this felt by others? or is it just me? :oops:
It might be because:

1 you prefer to keep your posh watches for best wear instead of most of the time.

2 you’re trying not to scratch/ damage your posh watches

3 your budget watches are newer

I often choose to wear my lower end watches for these reasons.
Dean
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Each to his own. There are watches that I enjoy wearing at both ends of the spectrum.

But no, if by “posh” you mean the more expensive watches in a collection (as opposed to meaning smarter less robust “dress” style watches), I don’t wear them less, I wear them more than the others.

The ones I rarely wear are the ones in the middle.

However I fully respect the view that robust steel sports watches, designed for regular wear are often kept for best.

If we all viewed this strange hobby that we share in the same way, there would be nothing to discuss.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

We all differ slightly in our watch wearing habits, which is perhaps a good thing.

BA8882F4-1312-450B-B988-973398C2EA8E.jpeg
This picture shows what I have referred to for a while now as my core collection. I have plenty of other watches, but I keep these together in one box (when they are not locked away) because these are my daily wearers. They have all joined me over the last three and a half years, whereas I have other watches that have been with me for longer.

I don’t keep records of what I wear when, but I would be pretty certain that any one of these four has seen more wrist time over the last twelve months than the rest of my collection put together. I think I’m probably more like Neil in tending to wear the watches I like most and find most useful.

As I only take one watch on holidays and trips these days, that tends to be one of the two CWs. This means that I often wear one watch for an extended period of time, such as when I went to France the other week with the C65. I’m still wearing it a week after returning, and I find that is something I often do.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

I think a couple of my best and or favorite pieces were purchased on special occasions. A cruise in the Caribbean with dear friends for example gives a particular piece a very special place, and wearing it sparingly always brings back those memories and keeps it special.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I enjoy wearing my Casio F-91W as much as any of my other watches.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

My more expensive watches are my go to wears. My smaller brands are more a novelty wear, but always bring a smile as I admire them on the wrist!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

watchaholic wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:27 pm I think a couple of my best and or favorite pieces were purchased on special occasions. A cruise in the Caribbean with dear friends for example gives a particular piece a very special place, and wearing it sparingly always brings back those memories and keeps it special.
I was making a short video about my watches and why I bought them but I thought it a bit self indulgent and have not progressed past initial editing. A lot of truth in what you say though.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

No, it's not you.

I spent about 12 hours thinking about this answer... I started writing one, but it was all over the place. So I deleted it, and then started writing this one. Which, in retrospect, is also all over the place... just more coherently so. ;)

What I like about watches is when I can ascribe a character to them... and when I like that character. I have the same thing with cars. It's a bit anthropomorphic, really. Which may sound sad, but if Randall Munroe can get away with it, I'm not gonna feel ashamed about it.

I don't mind if a watch is a bit odd. I have a vintage Omega here that has a second hand which is definitely not original. it's like a kind old guy who has permitted himself one folly: a red second hand. Other than that, he's unobtrusive, but very conscientious about his work -- after half a century, it still has chronometer-worthy accuracy.
It borrows its personality from its original owner: my late grandfather (a watchmaker), an unobtrusive, conscientious man, who allowed himself the folly of a red second hand for his watch. Everyone perceived him as a grumpy old man. I never did. He taught me many things, including his love for jazz, which he also instilled in his sons and his daughter (my mother).

My C5 (the Origin Of The Species) of 2005 is definitely a stunning beauty, without makeup or high heels. She's the horological Love Of My Life. I fell in love with it on first sight (a photo), and when I finally held it in my hands, I knew I was lost. I consider this Christopher's Magnum Opus, and the most understated, most beautiful watch I've ever owned. No matter how much I look at it, it's just... right. Everything about it is just right.
So, I ordered it, and I ordered a CW W1 for my wife, which I gave to her for Christmas. We wore them when we married in Scotland in 2006 (which is odd, because we're from the Netherlands), and they are both as alive and kicking as our marriage is.

I have a Seiko with a quartz 7t92 movement here. It takes its job very seriously, in an utterly uncompromising way. It does not make any concessions to being perfectly functional: a fairly non-detailed faceplate (much like the black Speedmaster), on which the hands always stand out, makes it the ultimately legible watch. And the lume is the stuff of legends -- it doesn't light up spectacularly, but it retains its glow comfortably throughout the night. I am farsighted, and the only watch on which I can confidently tell the time no matter what circumstances is that particular watch.
The Seiko 5 that I have is almost as good. Fat hands, thick lume that lasts forever. The only reason why it's not as legible is that the day and date window is also white, so when it's quarter past, I've lost the minute hand if I'm not wearing my glasses. The black Seiko (with a white-on-black date wheel) doesn't do that.

I had an Omega Seamaster. Excellent watch, certified chronometer, but it did nothing for me. I found that I was wearing the CW Speedhawk much more than the Omega. The Speedhawk is like a brazen bad boy, with a somewhat '80's character. It's big, it's definitely not unobtrusive, but it's got a good heart -- that's what it feels like.
One of the things that I like about this watch is that it sports a VJ7750 movement... which pretty much singlehandedly saved the Swiss watch industry. I was originally not a fan of this movement because I favoured column-wheel chronographs, but I changed my mind on that one.

I ended up having a small, but fairly varied collection, in which the old man (the Omega Genève) is the only timekeeping device that has some haute-horlogerie pedigree.
I recently added a watch to it which I regretted not buying when it was available: the C3 Chrono Mk1 (the quartz chronograph sister of the C5), and I am about to say goodbye to the Seiko 5. Not because I dislike it, but because an American friend whom I coach on a couple programming endeavours likes it so much that I think she's gonna get a lot more enjoyment out of it.

Another watch I'll be parting with within a year is the Red Peregrine. When I ordered it, I knew I was gonna give it to my grandson on his 15th birthday. The serial number is his birthday (as well as mine, we were both born on the 24th), and I had CW inscribe his name in the back. I felt I was never the owner of this watch -- I just took care of it for him.

For me, every watch has to have a personality, and a story attached to it.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)