scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

It's All About Me

Post by scooter »

Been watching a lot of Glastonbury on iPlayer and some great performances.

A few years ago everyone had their camera phones trained on the musicians. It seemed to me that over 99 percent this year were pointing the other way.

A sign of the times I suppose.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: It's All About Me

Post by downer »

Indeed - both phenomenons are a sign of the times. Making the effort to go to a live event and then watching it through your phone is weird, but filming yourself watching something is even weirder. Personally, I think I'd rather create the memory in my mind, rather than on a memory card. I guess it's just because I'm old. :D
Richard
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

A few years before that 99% didn't have their phones out during the performance. How many people never truly see live performances because they are more focused on recording it than watching it.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Lavaine wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:43 pm A few years before that 99% didn't have their phones out during the performance. How many people never truly see live performances because they are more focused on recording it than watching it.
Totally agree with this. I decided not to try and take a photo of my daughter at her recent graduation as you sacrifice enjoying the brief moment she was on the stage getting her degree for looking through a camera lens, missing the moment in exchange for a blurry photo of a small figure in the distance...instead buy the official photo that the photographer sitting at the end of the stage took. So better to enjoy the moment and keep the memory.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

I also don't really understand this thing of recording yourself at everythign on your phone, or even just a performance on a phone. How often will people actually go back and watch it? Plus sound quality will be rubbish. Surely better just to live in the moment while there.
I think this realization of people experiencing things through a phone/camera really hit me a few years back. I was walking around an old palace/museum and there was someone there who was walking into each room taking a couple of photos then moving on. I'm sure they had their reasons (time, maybe?) but I've been pushed for time before and found myself one or two things I really liked and then just really took them in and experienced them with my eyes. I think the ability to take and store an infinite number of photos has really taken away what was special about photographs. How many of us now go back and enjoy our old photos? (I'm not saying I'm immune to this; I took many many photos during 6 months away a couple of years back, and managed to reduce my favourites to about 80 I put in a book and framed a few, but what of the rest?!)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

monkeymax wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:13 am I took many many photos during 6 months away a couple of years back, and managed to reduce my favourites to about 80 I put in a book and framed a few, but what of the rest?!)
That's the right thing to do: take many and then cull mercilessly down to the few outstanding for processing. Of course that does take time....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

A few years back I was at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. I was excited to see (for a second time) a small installation of a Renaissance era wood paneled room that I actually teach about in class. I took a 360° pic of the room and walked away, only to realize once it was too late that I didn’t actually stop to take in the beauty of the paneling in person! I was kicking myself!

What’s the point of seeing something live and in person if one isn’t actually in the moment experiencing it?! I decided then and there no more phone cameras out in situations like that.
Drew
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Totally agree. I often get asked why I don't have photos/video of any of my scuba dives. Same reason. I want to be in the moment and truly enjoy the dive, wildlife and environment rather than faff around underwater with a camera.

My wife and I have discussed often that so many want to be a 'rock star' these days and seem to be utterly desperate for attention/recognition. [old man voice engaged] Glad I grew up in the 70's. [/voice disengaged]
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

The only photo's I seem to take are of watches on my wrist...how mad is that :lol:
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

FloridaPhil wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:46 pmMy wife and I have discussed often that so many want to be a 'rock star' these days and seem to be utterly desperate for attention/recognition. [old man voice engaged] Glad I grew up in the 70's. [/voice disengaged]
Ummm, we grew up in the 90's and have the same discussion! :lol:
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

A sign of the times, indeed. I believe most of today's 'yoof' are more interested in posting a photo on their Faceache page showing all their mates they are 'there' because being there is what it's all about - nothing whatsoever to do with the music. I saw it at the Stones concert I went to last year and no doubt will see plenty of it tomorrow in Hyde Park where I'm seeing the two legends that are Dylan and Young.

Yes I'm old - but I'll accept that and will not be taking my phone out of my pocket tomorrow.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

monkeymax wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:35 pm
FloridaPhil wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:46 pmMy wife and I have discussed often that so many want to be a 'rock star' these days and seem to be utterly desperate for attention/recognition. [old man voice engaged] Glad I grew up in the 70's. [/voice disengaged]
Ummm, we grew up in the 90's and have the same discussion! :lol:
...but we had all the good bands in the 70's...!!!!
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

FloridaPhil wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:46 pm Totally agree. I often get asked why I don't have photos/video of any of my scuba dives. Same reason. I want to be in the moment and truly enjoy the dive, wildlife and environment rather than faff around underwater with a camera.

My wife and I have discussed often that so many want to be a 'rock star' these days and seem to be utterly desperate for attention/recognition. [old man voice engaged] Glad I grew up in the 70's. [/voice disengaged]
Couldn't agree more for diving and it also applies to things like safaris. The best advice I had prior to my first safaris in South Africa and Botswana was to forget about buying a super duper camera and get a great pair of binoculars instead.

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

This has been a really interesting thread – thanks for starting it, scooter.

I am always amused when a Facebook friend posts a picture of himself or herself with five other people I don’t know, all gurning at a camera with large colourful drinks in hand, in some louche night spot.

I don’t mind taking the odd photo when I am visiting somewhere but I’ve always believed in just looking.

Modern generations are perhaps more guilty than their predecessors, and I’m sure social media is partly to blame for that. However, our ancestors were not completely above blame. Remember those old albums with photos of Uncle Billy and Aunt Gladys in front of Florence Cathedral? Well, I guess it proved that they had been there but personally I prefer a nice photo of Florence Cathedral. The pictures I post on Facebook are mainly from my holidays, and the only person I ever post a picture of is myself when I occasionally update my profile picture.

I wonder, does the world as large think we are crazy for posting pictures of our wrists, a watch, and some indistinct pile of masonry in the background that may or may not be Florence Cathedral? It makes you think.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 pm
I wonder, does the world as large think we are crazy for posting pictures of our wrists, a watch........
It probably does, we probably are, who cares :lol:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way