Keeping watches in good running order, advice please?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Keeping watches in good running order, advice please?

Post by Craig64 »

I will be interested to receive any advice please in respect of your recommended practice for keeping automatic movements in their best condition when owning a small collection of watches, whilst keeping servicing costs down to the minimum.

Considering my own situation, I have a small collection of 6 automatic watches and a watch winder.

I (rightly or wrongly) worry that these watches should not be kept inactive for too long a period, and at the same time figure that intermittent resting periods will prolong their life span by stopping component wear whilst inactive.

Now currently, I run one watch at a time continuously for two weeks before resting it and then switching to the next watch, and so on. So in essence each watch gets 2 weeks running then rests for 10 weeks.

Would it be beneficial for these movements, to switch this routine to say wear for just a week, then let the watch rest for 5 weeks? Or would it be be better to extend the period to wear for a full month then rest for five months?

Or am I being way over paranoid, and does it not really matter at all?

I should say that the feel good factor of swapping to the next watch is pretty much the same for each model, so for that reason, my somewhat clinical routine suits me fine.

In respect of servicing, after a less than satisfactory experience with a routine service of a premium branded luxury watch, I won’t be having any of my watches routinely serviced again. They will be serviced only once they show any running issues.

Your comments and advice will be much appreciated.
Regards
Craig
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Keeping watches in good running order, advice please?

Post by H0rati0 »

If your routine suits, keep it. The damn things are made to be used as suits you after all.

My two cents:

The two issues to consider are wear and quality/longevity of oil

While the watch is not running - no wear.

Modern synthetic oils as used in watches do not appreciably deteriorate so while the watch is not running all should be well. But running creates wear so that micro-particles will be picked up by the oil meaning ideally the oils need to be renewed occasionally. The consensus these days (manufacturers and technicians - both with vested interest) seems to be a service at approx 5 years though some differ, eg Rolex say 10 years. I presume this applies for continuous use which surely they have to assume. If the watch is not running, no wear, so it should not need a service. My sentiment is a service when I feel it necessary at considerably longer than 5 year intervals as like you, I rest my watches but not as methodically. Of course if something goes wrong, one needs to fix it.

I too much prefer to avoid the repair shops, no certainty, lots of things can go wrong so use them only if you feel it necessary.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 »

Your two cents are very much appreciated, thank you. What you said makes a lot of good sense to me.

It is interesting how Rolex have extended their recommended service interval. I wonder if their latest recommendations apply only to current models, or to older models that previously had recommended 5 year service intervals.
Regards
Craig
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I have 5 autos, no watch winder, I just pick the watch I want to wear that day, no pattern, set the time/date give it a couple of winds and off I go, never had an issue :thumbup:
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

kiter65 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:43 pm I have 5 autos, no watch winder, I just pick the watch I want to wear that day, no pattern, set the time/date give it a couple of winds and off I go, never had an issue :thumbup:
Hmmm...you have a severe case of the dog wagging the tail.

Watches are tools. Don’t let them run your life.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Danbailey007 »

kiter65 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:43 pm I have 5 autos, no watch winder, I just pick the watch I want to wear that day, no pattern, set the time/date give it a couple of winds and off I go, never had an issue :thumbup:
I'm the same although I only have 2 autos to worry about as the rest are quartz. Have thought about a winder but don't see the need as I always seem to be wearing one of the autos now.
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

I have 9 autos. I just choose it, set it, give it a few winds and off I go. No rhyme, reason or lengthy procrastinating involved. I'll send them for service or repair as and when they develop a fault. Life's too short and as Steve said, "they be tools, don't let 'em run ee life!"
Steve.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Thermexman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:05 pm I have 9 autos. I just choose it, set it, give it a few winds and off I go. No rhyme, reason or lengthy procrastinating involved. I'll send them for service or repair as and when they develop a fault. Life's too short and as Steve said, "they be tools, don't let 'em run ee life!"
The same except it's 11 autos (I think :oops: ).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

Under your circumstances, I would recommend rotating more frequently, not winding autos to start them in the morning, and waiting until you see a change in performance before you service. You’ll see it start slowing down before any parts start wearing significantly.

Maybe time them all if you don’t already know their performance, anc check every few months. No worries. Just a check.

Enjoy your collection!
Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 »

Thank you all for taking time out to comment.
I am going to rotate my watches a bit more often, not be too paranoid about the process, and return them for service/repair only when I think it is needed.
:D
Regards
Craig