Professional, Executive, Luxury, Exclusive...

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Professional, Executive, Luxury, Exclusive...

Post by nbg »

^^^^ Indeed!

I was going to ask ddav, which brands cost £2k, as the most expensive I have seen are about £500. Was wondering how the £500 implement would compare to a couple I have from the Japanese kn**e company that cost me about £100 each 20 years ago.

I do appreciate that a well honed cheap implement does the job better than a blunt expensive one used for the wrong purpose.

If this is considered to be in breach of rule 1.4 “weapons” (a rule that I wholeheartedly agree with), a reasonable discussion is being taken out of context.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Gentlemen,

The subject / topic of knives has been aired on several occasions in the past and in each case it is not the type of knife or its intended or possible usage that are at issue.

Discussion on this matter will not be permitted.

I'm asking politely, please cease and desist.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

What about if we refer to it as a chef tool or a sharpened metal bar with a handle??

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Crikey!

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Whilst not claiming to be immune I have a phobia against gratuitous advertising and block it/cut it off wherever possible, nor do I watch TV. If I cannot escape the bombardment I resolutely ignore. I too prefer to gather my own facts, sift and compare.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Sounds very much like me, and thank you for getting the thread back on topic.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:13 pm ^^^ Sounds very much like me, and thank you for getting the thread back on topic.
My pleasure, Steve.

Just to bitch further, user reviews had the potential to be a real boon to us cynics, but these days they are hijacked more often than not, so worth little - with a few exceptions of course. The reality is most genuine buyers/users cannot be bothered as the novelty of reviewing has long gone. A couple of years ago, my step daughter (in her innocence) had a work experience in a so-called SOE (Search Engine Optimisation) company. Boiled down to posting fake reviews for client products on an industrial scale. Yeah, I know Amazon and the like are aware, but there is still far more fiction than fact - that's the internet.

As always, caveat emptor.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I suppose I ought to post this in the Curmudgeon’s Corner, but I must admit I hate the constant pressure from companies to review their products online. I do contribute to TripAdvisor of my own volition, but I no longer do reviews that I get email requests for. That includes Trust Pilot – sorry, CW!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:54 pm I suppose I ought to post this in the Curmudgeon’s Corner, but I must admit I hate the constant pressure from companies to review their products online. I do contribute to TripAdvisor of my own volition, but I no longer do reviews that I get email requests for. That includes Trust Pilot – sorry, CW!
I'm with you - pressure means no chance, a review is at my behest only. For something that is way out of line (excellent or terrible) I might be stirred, but otherwise I expect half decent performance when I buy something or use a service. About the only thing I still feedback on is ebay and I use that much less than I used too.

In particular, even if I am moved to, no way do I do reviews where I have to create an account (yes Trustpilot I'm talking about you amongst others). Get a life!
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I think that when it comes to true luxury or professional products, they are able to stand on their own without needing a marketing term attached to them. I know that a Montblanc fountain pen is a luxury item. It doesn't need to be marketed as a Montblanc luxury pen. I work with a wide variety of medical equipment in my job, and I don't think any of it is labeled 'professional'. Would the NHS be more likely to buy the 'Zap Master Pro' defibrillator over the 'ShockPak 1000' defibrillator because it has pro in the name? Of course not. "Professional" items are literally marketed to everyone but the professionals. Often times pros don't own the expensive luxury items. Ddav made a reference to a $6 kitchen tool in his tool roll. Every chef has an expensive tool or 2 that they cherish and use, but also fiercely protect. They are used for prep and delicate tasks. During the heat of service, those tools are usually tucked away safely, and on the line you will find plastic handled industrial tools that are relatively cheap, easy to maintain, and will provide an appropriate level of performance. They will be better maintained than much more expensive tooIs found in most home kitchens. If one is damaged, no one will cry or miss it, and it will be replaced buy a new $20 tool before the next service.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.