Coffee machine woes.

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Coffee machines woes.

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well, I am nothing if not a coffee snob, but I am seriously going back to my low-tech roots.

Mediterranean coffee. Specifically, Eastern Mediterranean. They called it Turkish coffee in Turkey, but for goodness sake don’t call it that in southern Cyprus! Even though it is ostensibly the same stuff. This is undoubtedly my favourite coffee and I have a brass pot called a briki, purchased in Cyprus. I use a small brass hand grinder which produces the virtual powder you need to make this coffee, but I also buy the ready ground stuff from supermarkets whenever I go to Greece or Cyprus. Wonderful after dinner with Metaxa!

My favourite milk coffee is the Spanish or Portuguese café con leche/meia de leite. At home I use my very basic Nespresso machine and a little battery whisk for the milk, which I heat up in the microwave. Mostly I have this for breakfast coffee at the weekends. I don’t use Nespresso nearly as much as I used to.

For general drinking, I use a cafetiere and grind my own beans. I get a lovely Sumatra Mandheling from an independent coffee shop in Norwich and just add a splash of milk for the coffee.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I use a De'longhi Dedica EC685. Good little machine and doesn't use up much worktop space at only 15cm wide.

I buy bags of pre-ground coffee as I'm too lazy to do my own beans, but it will also take ESE pods whatever they are??

Also has a handy little steam wand for the creamy stuff that I consume a little too much of :thumbup:
Ryan
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Hi Steve,

I also use Nespresso and have done so for a long time now.
I just use the regular original size pod machine.
Enjoying one as I type actually lol
Only ever had one problem and it was self inflicted, let the water run out causing an airlock which was simple to fix with the helplines help.

I always found them very helpful so fingers crossed you just got a bad one mate.Image
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

timor54 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:32 pm The one warning I had was that occasionally you can get a ‘blow back’ when depressing the pusher which can result in a very messy start to the day.
I haven’t had an issue with blowback yet. However, I do use an inverted brewing method and have on a few occasions knocked the whole d*mn thing over! Messy start to the day, indeed!
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Coffee machine woes.

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Guess I'm somewhat of a philistine in this company. No fancy machines. No disposable sachets / pots.

Tower Filter coffee machine - £22

or Zyliss one mug cafetiere - £7.98

With coffee from Pilgrims Coffee, Holy Island, Northumberland

Job done.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:59 pm Guess I'm somewhat of a philistine in this company. No fancy machines. No disposable sachets / pots.

Tower Filter coffee machine - £22

or Zyliss one mug cafetiere - £7.98

With coffee from Pilgrims Coffee, Holy Island, Northumberland

Job done.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
The horror! The horror! ;-)
Drew
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Martin »

Stove top Bialetti. Nothing to go wrong.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I've never owned a pod coffee machine. Too much waste, not enough reliability, as evidenced by OP being on his 5th machine now. For single cup brewing I'm an Aeropress fan. I've only experienced the 'blowback problem' once when I used a cup that was barely larger than the bottom of the press. A little breathing room seems to go a long way. For brewing a pot it's a Bodum or my Oxo drip machine, one of the few Specialty Coffee Association Certified machines out there (meaning it brews at the correct temp, as most drip brewers don't brew hot enough). An old Delonghi espresso machine sits in the corner for the occasional espresso and latte / Earl Grey latte.

Ben_Labe, Breville does make a double boiler machine. Unfortunately it's about twice the price of the 870, and doesn't have the integrated grinder. If/when the Delonghi gives up the ghost, it will be replaced by a Breville.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

I'm in Ferg's camp. Simple Inissia style Nespresso machine with no milk gizmos to go wrong... I drink it strong and black anyway. Never had a problem with it and it's in constant use. For capsules I quickly went away from the real Nespresso pods at c£0.50 apiece. Aldi's Ristretto (16p per pod) is great - but can be hard to find as it gets snapped up. Otherwise I watch out for Amazon deals... last year L'or pods were there for £16/100 pods and currently I'm on Amazons own brand (perfectly drinkable) at around £8/100 pods.
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by scooter »

I'm no help to you Steve.

1. Boil a kettle.

2. Fill up favourite mug with hot water.

3. Add one spoonful of Kenco Millicano American Decaff (Barista Edition). Usually found at either Asda or Waitrose on offer at £2.50 for 100gms.

4. Drop of Asda semi skimmed as required. (sometimes replaced by Asda single/double cream if feeling naughty)

Jobs a good'un.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

AliBar wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:55 am For capsules I quickly went away from the real Nespresso pods at c£0.50 apiece. Aldi's Ristretto (16p per pod) is great - but can be hard to find as it gets snapped up. Otherwise I watch out for Amazon deals... last year L'or pods were there for £16/100 pods and currently I'm on Amazons own brand (perfectly drinkable) at around £8/100 pods.
I have been using Nespresso pods for over 10 years now. Apparently I now have the status of Ambassador. However their pods have now become so expensive I’ve tried other makes. The machines are very reliable, I’m only on my second in 10 years. And that was bought when it was half price, more of a backup as the other was getting on a bit.

My favourite alternatives so far are by Cafe Pods, I buy them from Sainsbury’s when on offer. Also available on line but fairly expensive from the company itself.

Aldi are pretty good too, and my local always has them in stock in various strengths.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

scooter wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 pm I'm no help to you Steve.

1. Boil a kettle.

2. Fill up favourite mug with hot water.

3. Add one spoonful of Kenco Millicano American Decaff (Barista Edition). Usually found at either Asda or Waitrose on offer at £2.50 for 100gms.

4. Drop of Asda semi skimmed as required. (sometimes replaced by Asda single/double cream if feeling naughty)

Jobs a good'un.

scooter
So much to process here. But YOU PUT WATER IN FIRST??
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Sometimes.

Sometimes coffee first.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

scooter wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:50 pm Sometimes.

Sometimes coffee first.

scooter
Variety is the spice of life.
Steve.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »