A bracelet that just won't fit

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

A bracelet that just won't fit

Post by richtel »

During the pre-launch period for the Trident v3, some people were speculating whether the new bracelet would come with half links- the reason being that the micro-adjust might not accommodate full adjustment within a whole link spacing. While my Trident v2's actually fit me right in the 'goldilocks zone', I have a watch which doesn't. Enter the Citizen promaster tough BN0211-50E.

IMG_3130.jpg

On this watch, the whole-link spacing is about 11.5mm, but the full range of 3-hole pin micro-adjust caters for only 7mm adjustment. As a result, the watch is either too tight on the loosest micro-adjust, or too loose on the tightest micro-adjust depending on addition of a link, resulting in a jangly-bangly bracelet- and because of that I just wasn't wearing it.

IMG_3129.jpg

So, what to do. The Citizen is a nice little watch; quite slim, hardened coating on the case and bracelet, sapphire, 200m resistant and with a monocoque case. In fact that slim monocoque case probably exacerbated the problem because the caseback with no, erm, caseback, is very smooth so the loose bracelet would just ride around on my wrist.

Options included ditching the bracelet and fitting a strap of some kind, or to attempt drilling additional micro-adjust holes (as someone else has done on the forum with success). For me, I really wanted to keep the bracelet- the 'H'-links are different from most of my other watches and the hardened coating makes it nicely resilient to scratches. Also drilling an additional set of micro-adjust holes firstly would require a better pillar drill setup than I have to do it properly, but more importantly bringing the bracelet terminal link closer in to the clasp would force the clasp outer shell to stand proud from the clasp, ruining the look.

So, option 3. I figured that if the case were a little fatter, it would take up the slack and the watch would fit better. The plan was hatched.

I had some 1mm thick laser-cut 316L stainless steel disks fabricated. These were to be 35mm in diameter to maximise the available flat area of the caseback. I also ordered in some 3M double-sided adhesive sheet- a very thin but exceptionally strong chemical-resistant high sheer-strength adhesive sheet.

IMG_3131.jpg
IMG_3133.jpg

First thing was to remove the tiny burr left on the disk edge from the laser-cutting process and rub a very small radius on the edge to eliminate any sharpness. Then I rubbed one face of the disk to create a nice brushed finish to be the external side. After thouroughly cleaning the disk and watch caseback in ispropyl alcohol I placed the disk onto a small square of the adhesive sheet. Before removing the other side of the sheet backing paper, the process was to trim off the edges of the sheet around the disk with a scalpel.

IMG_3134.jpg

Last step, to remove the remaining backing sheet and carefully place the disk centrally into its final resting place on the back of the watch.

IMG_3136.jpg

.. and press down firmly for a minute or so. Then to put the bracelet back on. The result is just as hoped. The disk takes up just enough slack to make the bracelet fit perfectly. If I ever need to remove the disk I'll be able to do that carefully with a plastic edge tool- but I don't anticipate it'll come off without a fight. Very happy with the result.

IMG_3139.jpg
IMG_3141.jpg
IMG_3142.jpg
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: A bracelet that just won't fit

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

An ingenious and very professionally executed solution.

Top notch. :clap:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Brilliant :clap:
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Very clever solution :clap:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well done. I wish I had a tenth of the practical skills to do that.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

A very elegant solution Rich. It’s a great feeling when a plan comes together. :clap:
Steve.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Nice lateral thinking. Added bonus - you are never going to scratch the back of the case!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Outstanding work Rich and importantly, the thought that went into it.
Well done mate, glad you have got that watch back now ;)
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Thanks guys. If anyone needs a 35mm disk for doing something similar I have a couple spare.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

Very ingenious