Amsterdam

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Amsterdam

Post by jtc »

Off to Amsterdam Tues to Thurs. Have booked a lot to do, but suggestions (including horological ones) welcome!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Amsterdam

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Never been to Amsterdam so unable to offer any suggestions from experience, other than to say have an enjoyable time.

Will you be on your tod, accompanied or with friends (might make a difference to the recommendations you get)?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:41 am Will you be on your tod, accompanied or with friends (might make a difference to the recommendations you get)?

Guy
Guy the above, as far as visiting Amsterdam is concerned, is a very subtle on the money one line response! :clap: :) :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Savagemouse
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by Savagemouse »

Depends on what you are in to and who you going with before i would really be able to recommend anything. Though I do live there if you have any specific questions.

For horological I can recommend ace & dik (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ace+% ... d4.8781269) very friendly and quiet central also a Schaap en Citroen fairly close as well but not had much experience with as slightly out of my price range ;) Though was able to view a tudor 58 and gmt there the other week.

If you can, getting on a bike is by far the best way to explore the city.
Matt
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Gassan on the Dam Square is one of the largest luxury watch dealers, always nice for some window shopping. Gassan also has a large store at Schiphol Airport and worth a visit. Some other watch stores as well.

There are a few vintage and pre-owned watch stores that I haven't been to but would like to go on my next visit.

Amsterdam Watch Company - https://awco.nl
Amsterdam Vintage Watches - https://amsterdamvintagewatches.com

Indonesian food is popular in the Netherlands, something I still often miss and need to get my rijsttafel fix whenever I am back in the country.
https://www.amsterdamfoodie.nl/2018/ind ... ijsttafel/

It is probably best to leave your expensive watches at home or cover them up:
https://nltimes.nl/2019/03/01/60-rolex- ... nce-summer
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Went there many years ago with my local football team for an end of season jolly....Canal Street was interesting :shock: :shock: :lol:
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Ian Mc »

kiter65 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:36 pm Went there many years ago with my local football team for an end of season jolly....Canal Street was interesting :shock: :shock: :lol:
Sounds just like it was 40 years ago when I spent some time there as a young ships engineer a long way from home😉
Time keeps on slipping into the future
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

It's me and Mrs JTC. We've seen the Anne Frank house today (incredibly moving and well done), along with 20k steps exploring the city! Popped into the Heineken experience which was a laugh after a more serious early afternoon.

We have a few things lined up for tomorrow and Thurs before we fly home - Van Gogh, Keukenhof, Bols, Cheese, Canal tour etc. Off out to see what the ladies in the window are like tonight, before a bite to eat - we won't be stopping in anywhere for an awkward experience! :lol:

Thanks for the horological tips - spotted a couple today so will likely go into a couple on Thursday. Indonesian food sounds like a good shout too. Any other suggestions welcome!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I'd highly recommend this restaurant :

http://zazas.nl

It was incredible !
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A city I've never been to, my daughter visited last year and said she tried some of the speciality cookies in a cafe :?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

They have some very talented performers at THe Banana Bar :shock:
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

jtc wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:05 pm It's me and Mrs JTC. We've seen the Anne Frank house today (incredibly moving and well done), along with 20k steps exploring the city! Popped into the Heineken experience which was a laugh after a more serious early afternoon.

We have a few things lined up for tomorrow and Thurs before we fly home - Van Gogh, Keukenhof, Bols, Cheese, Canal tour etc. Off out to see what the ladies in the window are like tonight, before a bite to eat - we won't be stopping in anywhere for an awkward experience! :lol:

Thanks for the horological tips - spotted a couple today so will likely go into a couple on Thursday. Indonesian food sounds like a good shout too. Any other suggestions welcome!
I've done the Heineken Experience three times now - it is exactly as you say, a good laugh.

Sounds like you have all the bases covered.

The Van Gogh museum is one of the best of it's type I've visited - very well laid-out, concisely arranged and fascinating. The Rijksmuseum is very good too, but altogether longer & less fun - on sunny days I much preferred lounging around on the grass or by the pond there.

We did the Reypenaer cheese & wine tasting class - great fun, but I could barely even look at a piece of cheese for days after. The Ice Bar is a bit of gimmicky fun, but it could kill a half-hour if bored.

The 'de Jaren' cafe has a nice little decking area right down by the canal, and if the weather is sunny it's a great place to spend a relaxed hour or so. We did an Indonesian 'rijsttaffel' meal, but I can't recall where - prepare for about 60 little bowls & dishes surrounding you.

As you probably know, Schiphol Airport watch prices have the duty discounted, but are in fact inclusive of all duty (i.e. you don't need to declare it upon re-entry to the UK, or worry about taxes). Deals were much better in the days pre-Brexit, when the GBP nosedived. Nevertheless, they do still get random deliveries of those Rolex models etc. that can be quite scarce in UK ADs, so it's worth a nosey in case an opportunity presents itself.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Rolex cleaned out at the airport! The guy was quite snooty too, my jeans + long sleeved tshirt + Pelagos clearly not his usual standard of customer :lol:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

jtc wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:51 pm Rolex cleaned out at the airport! The guy was quite snooty too, my jeans + long sleeved tshirt + Pelagos clearly not his usual standard of customer :lol:
I don’t think it was your attire Jon. Probably just fatigue at being asked the same questions hundreds of times a day! :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

jtc wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:51 pm Rolex cleaned out at the airport! The guy was quite snooty too, my jeans + long sleeved tshirt + Pelagos clearly not his usual standard of customer :lol:
I’ve always thought they’d be better dwapp9ng out those display units with dozens on empty slots for ones with a lot less :-)

As it stands they perpetually look like they’ve had a brilliant clearance sale, but all that’s left is the ‘unsaleables’ .!
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson