An Appreciation for "Old School"

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

An Appreciation for "Old School"

Post by jkbarnes »

I've been mulling over a post like this for quite awhile and am finally feeling inspired enough to post it. My initial draw to a mechanical watch was that it represented something "old school" in a modern world increasingly dominated by disposable high tech. As advanced as my smart phone is, it'll be obsolete within two years. And 10, 20, 30 years from now? Forget about it, the $600 gadget is a worthless paperweight.

Now a mechanical watch, that's a thing of art. It's a piece of precision engineering and mechanical art that will never become obsolete. I can wear it for the next 30 years, then pass it one to my kids who can wear it for another 30 more. I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

I'm curious if your appreciation for something old school like a mechanical watch has found it's way into other areas of your life like it has for me. Other areas where I've gone old school:
  • vinyl records played on a proper turntable - the sound may not be perfect (I've got an inexpensive turntable), but there's something more purposeful about listening to an album on a turntable rather than streaming music over my phone. Listening to the album becomes the focus of the moment as opposed to a background soundtrack
  • shaving with a safety razor and shave brush - not only do I get a better shave, it's way cheaper than a multiply-blade cartridge gadget
  • handwritten notes on personalized stationary & a fountain pen - texts and emails are convenient, but I love sending a handwritten note, whether it's a thank you note or just a quick hello. Like listening to a record, it is a focused, purposeful action as opposed to quickly fired off text
  • wearing hand-crafter, full goodyear welted shoes - I'm brutal on shoes and go through a pair pretty quickly. A friend recommended spending the money upfront for some old school, handcrafted shoes like Allen Edmonds. While expensive, if properly cared for they will last a lifetime, a far better investment compared to buying new shoes every two years or so. Added bonus - I'm reminded of my grandfather every time I polish a pair for shoes
Anything else you would add to the list?
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: An Appreciation for "Old School"

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I got rid of vinyl years ago, and although I still read the occasional book, I do use a kindle much more.

Even so, I am not really a downloader or streamer. I still buy CDs and DVDs, my Freeview television sits in the corner most of the time asleep. Talking to some friends at work the other day, they were going on about Alexa and I realised I am well behind the times with things like that.

I prefer to communicate electronically these days, as I don’t enjoy physical process of writing (too much of it at work!) And I really don’t enjoy chatting on the telephone.

Shoes and clothes – I wear what I have to wear at work, but otherwise give me lightweight, casual and comfortable every time.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Martin »

You and me both!

Watch : tick
Vinyl : tick
Shaving : tick
Fountain pen : tick
Shoes : tick

I describe myself as ‘technosceptic’. I do have an ipad - I am typing this response on it - but do not have a smartphone. It is possible to survive without one!
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Isn't a matter of what's appropriate for the moment ?

My main watch is mechanical, hand wound, a design of over 50 years old and it's my favourite but last year (before I bought this main watch) I wore a "fitness" watch for the major part of the Summer and use it for the gym but I wouldn't use any of it's communication or notification facilities.

Over 30 years ago I splashed out on quality hi-fi including a Linn turntable which I still use for vinyl but I don't always want to focus on the music so use CDs or my iPhone to bluetooth through the hi-fi system. Plus you can't play vinyl in your car! I prefer to buy the physical - CD or DVD rather than stream anything.

I love to handwrite letters with a quality fountain pen but use Word or Excel for larger amounts of data and the iPhone for quick text, group messages etc.

Shoes - I find that I have to spend a bit more to get a pair that is immediately comfortable anyway but the old-school welted are generally too stiff to be comfortable for me. I take care of those that I do buy so they last for many many years. But no longer working I rarely wear shoes so I'm generally in trainers most days. Same with golf shoes - the very classic styles are too stiff to be immediately comfortable but I have 6 pairs of the brand and model that are still of an older style but softer leather for immediate use out of the box. The oldest pair is close to the end of usable life but it is about 9-10 years old.

Have I mentioned I have an iPhone? Wouldn't be without it! Phone calls, texts, group messages, camera, stores my photos, has my whole music collection on it (except the vinyl), can play through the car music system etc etc.

I buy and read books, never read on iPad, Kindle or anything similar. I will NEVER EVER have a smart speaker or use anything like Alexa.

So yes I love old school products but I'll mix and match to suit.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I too am a rebel against disposable consumerism. Buy cheap, use nasty, for me at least means buying twice. Bad (cheapo throwaway) design/functionality drive me crazy.

While high tech has its place, so much of it is a substitute for physical reality.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Let me add that my appreciation for things old school doesn’t at all mean I’m anti-modern. I don’t know that I could get by without my smartphone now (although I have considered ditching it!). While I love pouring a drink and putting on a favorite record, I also stream music from my to the same set of speakers that are connected to the turntable. And finally, texting is an invaluable form of communication in this fast paced modern world.

The old school stuff just serves to remind me to slow down every once and awhile.
Drew
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I have a deep mistrust of microwave ovens.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Vinyl is a funny old thing, bit like watches...

My amp is pretty new with every imaginable source; network/DLNA, AirPlay, Spotify, network radio, plus all the usual physical inputs. Nearly all of which I use. But I’ve still got an excellent 35 yr old Technics turntable and 200+ vinyl albums and singles. All of these are played through 35 yr old Acoustic Research speakers (I did however re-cone them a couple of years ago...).

My music sources are now the technology extremes, almost exclusively vinyl or Spotify/Airplay/other network, can’t remember the last time I played a physical CD as all of them are ripped and stored on a network server. I’ve now got hundreds of CDs gathering dust :(

I also consume a pretty large volume of online media, youtube/podcasts/blogs and the ‘odd’ forum, but physical books are still my first choice and I also still occasionally buy newspapers.

Ps. I had a google home speaker for a while as it came free with a Nest thermostat/smoke alarm, but after playing around with it for a while I gave it away. Basically got fed up with female members of the household telling it to turn the temperature up :lol:
Tim
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

I hear what you’re saying and agree with all the points of view already mentioned. I probably fit somewhere in the middle, in that, I love my “old school” mechanical watches but I also wouldn’t be without my “bang up to date” phone/tablet.

For me, it’s probably more about the nostalgia and the retro design aesthetics. For example, we’ve just decorated our modest sized dining room into something with a faint nod to an Edwardian style, rather than a ‘90s style.(our house built in 1997).

We’ve gone for a light fitting that’s retro and even has an “Eddison” style bulb with olde worlde filaments! I was amazed at how many of these “retro” bulbs are available and they’re gorgeous.

So, in essence, I love the nostalgia of the vintage designs.
Steve.
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

Definitely the case with me - hi-fi includes 45 year old Leak Sandwich speakers that sound just wonderful and I still have and use the majority of my tools dating back to my apprenticeship plus others inherited from same or earlier era when the steel used was of a higher quality for the likes of chisels and planes.
I even prefer low tech cars that I can do everything on without needing to plug a laptop into them. My idea of car heaven is one with no CAT, no ABS, no Traction Control, lights, wipers etc. all operated by MK 1 Human and a V configuration engine with a couple of large carburettors squirting in the fuel.

Also with you on the razor (Harry's I have now discovered as excellent product and value).

I may even get round to digging out my old SLR that uses actual film as this is another thing that seems to be making a resurgence!

On the subject of Alexa, I got one free from a supplier at work when they first appeared. After about a weeks novelty value (which mostly consisted of my wife asking 'Alexa, why is my husband being a d**k head?) it sits unused apart from as a cooking timer.

I am afraid that I come from the generation that does not replace things until they are broken beyond repair (and sometimes not even then!). This is why we watch a 12 year old Sony LCD TV that weighs about 30 KG and doubles as a radiator, and we only bought that when the trusty CRT turned up its toes.
No throw away mentality here.
:thumbup:
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I guess I live a quandary.

While technology has certainly made available information and convenience, I find at times it is to much information and to easy to be distracted. We fail to take the time to appreciate life and the world that surrounds us.

The purity of music on vinyl is beautiful, but the convenience of CD's streaming is hard to overlook.
I am with you on the shaving bit. Puts a little pleasure into a daily task.
Hand written notes/letters are most certainly a lost art. Most today can barely hand write something readable. Penmanship? what is that? Emails I have found allow me to keep in touch with more people in a more efficient manner. texting has its place, but not when sitting across a table.
Shoes are something one should always deal with quality. Foot comfort relates to the rest of your body.

I love the idea of a "smart" home, but fail to see why I need it. I can write out a shopping list and don't need a refrigerator to tell me what I need, just as I can turn on a light switch. Of course a smart phone just makes life more convenient, but is it necessary?

I love old things and appreciate the quality and the memories of simpler times. My biggest gripe is that technology tends to fail at the damnedest times and it seems everyone fixes it in a different way......if it can be repaired.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Bit of both here.

Auto watches and vinyl are still used, the vinyl being played through 30yr old equipment which includes an amplifier with tubes and analogue needles displaying levels. Cost my father a bloody fortune, but over a 30yr payback, it ain't so bad. Almost all the parts are still available too!

On the other hand, we are rather into the whole home automation in a big way and the "smart speakers" have changed that whole process. The new ones with screens have completely revolutionised it!

Gone are the servers we used to have requiring touch screens in each room, and they have been replaced by Amazon Echo Shows (the ones with the screens), google hubs, pir sensors, temp sensors, Logitech eqpt etc etc linked through the cloud.

Routines are set with geo fencing, times and IFTTT logic.

As an example. Lights come on in each part of the house as you walk through. Their brightness depends on the ambient light and the time of night. They stay on for various periods of time based on location. The same goes for the rooms, but we have set zones so if you roll over in bed, it doesn't activate the lights. If you get up, then the lights come on at a set level depending on the time of day/night. Again, the time they are on depends on the room, time of day etc etc.

If you say what you want to do, eg watch TV then the lights adhere to a viewing pattern and brightness, depending on what you are watching. TV is different to films. Depending on the room you are in, the TV or projector switches on along with the amp/blu ray etc.

If there is no one in the house, the geofencing sets heating when we are 5 miles out and the and lights come on at 1 mile. If there is someone there, it is already switched to the home routine. (Although I have set it to flash the lights when wifey is a few miles out to give me a chance to have a bit of a tidy!)

Different rooms are heated differently based in the temp in the room and whether there is anyone in there.

Doorbell, CCTV, etc is all done through the screens.

Netflix, Amazon prime etc is also done through the screens and cast to the TV's. All of our normal music consumption is done via the screens and cloud providers. (Screens are linked to Bluetooth speakers, soundbars, surround sound where needed)

Diaries, calenders, music etc are all done via the screens. Music etc can be in just one room, or various ones depending on what you are doing.

We use the screens all the time for weather checks, traffic checks before going somewhere (the best route is then sent automatically to the phone) and a myriad of other things that we simply ask for. News, addresses, phone numbers etc are all asked for.

Smart buttons are used to order things we need regularly.

Etc etc. This post is far too long as it is!!

We had the WiFi die recently for a couple of hours.............. It wasn't pretty!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

^^^^ That’s fascinating!
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Too many posts to quote from individually...

Concerning Thermexman’s appreciation for nostalgia and retro, I’m with you 100% on this. I’ve gone that route in my living room, mixing new and vintage furniture to capture a mid-century vibe without being a Mad Men set. My favorite items are a few things that came out of my grandparents’ house - hardly heirlooms, but they fit the vibe and remind me of my grandparents.

Concerning PaulJS’s comment about SLRs, I hear you brother! I’ve been tempted in numerous occasions to buy a vintage body and lens for the simplicity of it, but I just can’t go back to film. The immediacy, more so even than the convenience, of digital is just too appealing. I’ve scratched the itch though by changing to a micro 4/3 system and a far simpler kit. Without close inspection, one would think my camera was a film body - small, light, minimal bells & whistles.

Concerning Kip’s comments about convenience, that’s what it all comes down to, doesn’t it? Convenience is a great thing, but it does have a dark side. Convenience means little effort is required. And with less effort comes less appreciation. I see this conundrum in my students all the time. They have grown up in an age where most everything is easily accessible, requiring little effort. Consequently, they have little appreciation for the process involved in learning. In fact, the average kid question the very value of what we call learning - “why do I need to know this when I can look it up in my phone in 30 seconds?”
Drew
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I do like a valve amp! Still use an old Laney for my guitars.
Tim