Does anyone use a smartwatch?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Does anyone use a smartwatch?

Post by Ian Mc »

Do you have a smartwatch? If so, what do you use it for and what type is it?

My reason for asking is that I have recently started a bit of fell walking in The Lake District. I use a mapping app along with GPS, but feel a right plonker wandering around with a smartphone in my hand, so, I reckon a smartwatch might be the answer.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Cheers
Ian
Time keeps on slipping into the future
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Re: Does anyone use a smartwatch?

Post by josbrownlie »

I've got a Garmin Forerunner 235 which has smart watch functions. I consider it more primarily a fitness watch but it also notifies me to texts, WhatsApp, email, calendar notifications etc (smart functions) along with measuring heart rate, steps, training zones, elevation change, gps, running, cycling, swimming etc
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

What a performance just to go for a walk!! Boots, rucksack, OS map, off you go, simples! Smartwatches my ****! :lol:
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Garmin vivoactive for swimming, riding and running oh and golf
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Back in the day (about 2005, I reckon), I was a trailblazer with one of these:

I have to admit, it was fairly rubbish and I preferred using a map - and still do, although I think a phone is a good idea as a back-up.

A smart-watch for GPS... no, not for me.
Richard
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

downer wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:53 pm Back in the day (about 2005, I reckon), I was a trailblazer with one of these:

I have to admit, it was fairly rubbish and I preferred using a map - and still do, although I think a phone is a good idea as a back-up.

A smart-watch for GPS... no, not for me.
I'm with you Richard, can't lose signal on a map :D
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

josbrownlie wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:00 pm I've got a Garmin Forerunner 235 which has smart watch functions. I consider it more primarily a fitness watch but it also notifies me to texts, WhatsApp, email, calendar notifications etc (smart functions) along with measuring heart rate, steps, training zones, elevation change, gospel, running, cycling, swimming etc
Me too. I only wear it for running or cycling.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

No; haven't got a smart watch, fitbit or anything similar. Don't want one.

I can though see the potential benefit of a smartwatch, linked to a smartphone presumably, for the OP's intended use out on the Fells.

However to rely on this, to my mind, negates the skill of map reading; which I would primarily do.

Interestingly, I read an article in the newspaper this week, of one of the Fell Running Organisations in the Lake District banning the use of smart watches, GPS tracking widgets etc. as they believed this gave the users an 'unfair advantage'. :)

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

josbrownlie wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:00 pm I've got a Garmin Forerunner 235 which has smart watch functions. I consider it more primarily a fitness watch but it also notifies me to texts, WhatsApp, email, calendar notifications etc (smart functions) along with measuring heart rate, steps, training zones, elevation change, gospel, running, cycling, swimming etc
Gospel?

What's this got to do with fitness / lifestyle?

I'm confused.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

The big advantage of a map in my opinion also, is that you can see where you are in relation to everything, whats in which direction etc.. just by opening the map out. You can't do that with a little screen. Each to their own though, I still have an atlas in my car for the same reason - you can only see so much on a little screen
NotEnoughWrists
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by NotEnoughWrists »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:24 pm
Gospel?

I'm confused.

Guy
Glad you asked. I’m currently imagining an app featuring Kenny Everett dancing round in a vicars outfit wearing giant hands

https://goo.gl/images/hYDG2v
So many watches, yet still so little time!
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

NotEnoughWrists wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:59 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:24 pm
Gospel?

I'm confused.

Guy
Glad you asked. I’m currently imagining an app featuring Kenny Everett dancing round in a vicars outfit wearing giant hands

https://goo.gl/images/hYDG2v
When the battery runs out and you're desperate for help finding your way...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

How long before a thread starts asking what a map, atlas and newspaper are. :silent:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Stupid little screens and appalling user interfaces. Just because it can be done doesn't mean that it should be.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I feel a bit ambivalent about them. A few years ago we were commenting on the lack of watches out there among a generation that tells the time on its phones.

Now that a lot of these people are wearing something time related on their wrists, it is a much shorter step for them to discover “proper” watches.

Consider: back in the 70s I never thought I would wear a mechanical analogue watch again. For 30 years or so I didn’t. I’m sure a lot of similarly aged people on here had similar experiences.

What goes around comes around.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)