Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Re: Does anyone use a smartwatch?

Post by josbrownlie »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:24 pm
josbrownlie wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:00 pm I've got a Garmin Forerunner 235 which has smart watch functions. I consider it more primarily a fitness watch but it also notifies me to texts, WhatsApp, email, calendar notifications etc (smart functions) along with measuring heart rate, steps, training zones, elevation change, gospel, running, cycling, swimming etc
Gospel?

What's this got to do with fitness / lifestyle?

I'm confused.

Guy
Lol, for gospel read GPS. Now edited in original response.

You mean to say the gospel doesn't feature in your new year's resolution fitness reigieme ...............
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
ricardo75
Senior
Senior

Post by ricardo75 »

I wear a garmin fenix when mountain biking.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I have a series 4 apple watch with gps and cellular. This means you dont even need to have you phone with you for many of the functions.
It is a brilliant bit if kit and would strongly recommend. Get a nice set of airppods to go with it and you can even listen to your favourite tunes while you are out walking :D

What I dont understand is why these are generally despised by the watch loving community and yet often these same people will have a digital gshock in their collection as everyone should have one eh! Seriously what is that about? The apple can do everything a gshock can do and a million things more. Yes you have to stickit on a charge when you go to bed the same as your phone but so what. There are also gshocks that are considerably more expensive than the apple as well. Can a gshock make and recieve a call, give you the weather forecast, news headlines, directions and maps, tell you the footie scores or automatically ring the emergency services if you have a fall!

Can you tell I am a fan and this sits quite happily alongside my rolexes, zenith, bremont and of course my g shock

If you are considering a smartwatch then my guess is you would be pleasantly surprised by the apple
Cheers now, Paul
Rebnats
Senior
Senior

Post by Rebnats »

I have an Apple series 2 watch. I used it initially to start a fitness regime, tracking my steps, goals, training etc. However I still wore my conventional watches as I much preferred their quality and aesthetics, ended up wearing both at the same time on different wrists using the Apple Watch more like a Fitbit band really. Ended up passing the Apple Watch onto my daughter. I still try and keep up my fitness but without having to raise my wrist in a certain way or tap a screen just for a quick glance at the time. Also got fed up of being pinged on my wrist for all communications when my iPhone is more than upto the task. What finished it for me, when travelling or away from home another bloody thing needs charging daily.
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600
C65 Trident GMT.

Tag Heuer McLaren .
Tissot Classic T Touch.
Seiko Starfish.
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by josbrownlie »

Fascinating sentiments/opinions regarding smart watches detailed in at least the two posts above. Very similar to my own.

I'm very interested when I see and hear about people wearing two watches at the same time as I just can't get on with it personally. Maybe this year I'll try again.
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
NotEnoughWrists
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by NotEnoughWrists »

josbrownlie wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:51 am
You mean to say the gospel doesn't feature in your new year's resolution fitness reigieme ...............
Depends if you include the moments of wobbling off the treadmill, thinking 'oh god, i think i'm dying!' from the gospel of what the hell am i doing this for? :lol:
So many watches, yet still so little time!
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by josbrownlie »

#must"getfit" #must"getfit"
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

It saddens me that nobody has made a smart watch as good as the Apple watch.
I like the AW, but hate Apple and their phones, so won't buy one.

Android Wear looks good enough, but Samsung don't use it and the hardware on the others looks ropey compared to an AW.
Why do they all have round screens? Watches are round because analogue hands spin round.
A rectangle is an obvious shape for a smart watch, it's no surprise that Apple nailed it.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

hughesyn wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:03 pm It saddens me that nobody has made a smart watch as good as the Apple watch.
I like the AW, but hate Apple and their phones, so won't buy one.

Android Wear looks good enough, but Samsung don't use it and the hardware on the others looks ropey compared to an AW.
Why do they all have round screens? Watches are round because analogue hands spin round.
A rectangle is an obvious shape for a smart watch, it's no surprise that Apple nailed it.
I think the Huawei comes pretty close, even with their home grown OS and a round "normal" looking case.

Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Ian Mc »

Well, what an interesting range of responses!
Maps? Arent they those things that get blown away in the wind? And soggy in the rain (unless plasticised - which is environmentally unsound these days), why bury your head in a big paper map when you can glance at a screen to confirm location/direction etc then get back to enjoying the views? Compass? Yes, they have uses! Newspapers? Not even used for wrapping fish and chips these days!
My view is that the technology is there to be used, but then I really like techie stuff, despite my advancing years!
Ian
Time keeps on slipping into the future
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Ian Mc wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:05 pm Newspapers? Not even used for wrapping fish and chips these days!
Fish and Chips have never tasted the same since either :thumbdown:
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

I don't have smartwatch.

It's just my opinion, but for me there are three watches categories, witch answer of three needs from consumers :
- Smartwach, for hi-tech lovers. It's perfect if you like to have more than only the hour on your watch, agenda, gps nd others tools
(useful or useless).
The main problem of smartwatch is the same than every high-tech item, will it be possible to repair in ten years or more ?
And will you want to repair it in ten years ?
Only few people always use always Nokia 3310 or Blackberry even if they were good items in the past.

- Quartz watch, from the lower prices to the higher.
It's a very good choice for many people because you can find good watch for low price or a high quality watch for high price
(but also low quality watch for high price).
So it's perfect when you like watches but you don't care about the movement inside or you don't want to use an automatic or
mecanic movements. (hand winding and low reserve for instance)

- Mecanic or automatic watch.
It's another way of life, it's the link between the past and the present (sometimes the futur when you look some brands like Urwerk
or Richard Mille).
It's perfect when you want to buy your watch and legacy it to your grandson because it will be possible to repare it (probably very
expensive but possible). It's perfect also when you like to know the movement inside your watch.

That is why I think there is a big gap between automatic/mechanical watches and smartwatches.
It's another way of life, another mindset.
We can have one or more watches in these three categories but most collectors choose between one or the other categories when they buy a
new expensive watch and the collection is never perfectly shared between each catégories.
As you could readed, I prefer automatic watches even if I have some quartz in my collection (my firts watches, when I was yonger).
But I don't have smartwatch because i am not a high-tech lover and I think sometimes less is more.
I use my watches just to know the hour and if i want to know otherthing I use my smartphone.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

^^ how about the new hybrid smartwatches that are attempting to bridge the gap? They are not for me, but for those who like a proper watch but also want the convenience of notifications on their wrist they look an interesting proposition. The nicest ones I’ve seen are Kronaby, however Frederique Constant/Alpina etc.. have options also. I have seen others, but can’t think of them off the top of my head.
hyperion

Post by hyperion »

It's true I didn't talk about 2 sub-categories, first is the link between Quartz and Automatic watches (I am talking about Kinetic), second is the link between Smartwatch and Automatic watches (hybrid smartwatch).

But as I said, I think "Less is more" and hybrid technology is the opposite way.
If I had to make a choice I prefered Kinetic because you can maybe use your watch even if the batterie is dead.
While with hybrid smartwatch two questions are still open (will it be possible to repair in ten years or more ?
And will you want to repair it in ten years ?).
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

The other downside to smartwatches (especially the more expensive ones) is planned obsolescence - once the accompanying app no longer supports the watch, or the non-replaceable battery doesn't hold a charge, etc.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex