Some of the moderators of this forum are now ridiculous

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Some of the moderators of this forum are now ridiculous

Post by DISJT »

Welshlad, I'm amazed your avatar is still there to be honest. A 4 year old smoking on a pipe would undoubtably of been deleted had I posted it.

Richard, that's exactly my point, it happens all the time and people just accept it and move on. I'd suggest if the moderators are having to delete members posts on a regular basis then they are clearly out of touch with the people and mood of the forum .
CHRIS
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: Some of the members of this forum are now ridiculous

Post by welshlad »

DISJT wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:50 am Welshlad, I'm amazed your avatar is still there to be honest. A 4 year old smoking on a pipe would undoubtably of been deleted had I posted it.
I didn't start smoking until I started watching 8 Out Of 10 Cats - that's how corrupting it is! :)
DISJT wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:50 am I'd suggest if the moderators are having to delete members posts on a regular basis then they are clearly out of touch with the people and mood of the forum.
I would change that to "if the moderators are having to delete members posts on a regular basis then some members are clearly out of touch with the rules and values of the forum that they signed up to abide by". Perhaps a reminder of the rules is needed then? And maybe this thread will provide that?

Don't you think it odd that there is no linking to any adult material (that I can recall anyway) in any of the hundreds of thousands of posts on the forum over the last 12/13 years, yet you are surprised that when you post a link to something like that, that it gets deleted? The forum has always been consistent on this and the moderators are just continuing with that line.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

For those of us that aren't British, some context is required. A quick bit of Googling tells me that 8 Out Of 10 Cats is broadcast on Channel 4. As I understand it, Channel 4 is a publicly owned broadcaster, and is available throughout Britain as a broadcast channel. This is not a specialty 'Pay TV'nnel showing overly adult TV shows, like HBO, but a normal broadcast TV channel.
Can someone please explain to the non-British what could possibly be suitable for broadcast on a publicly owned television channel, but is so offensive as to be banned on this forum? I'm genuinely curious, as I can't imagine the linked video would qualify as "R Rated" in any way.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

I think it's odd that they choose to delete a link to a comedy programme, which having re-watched in its entirety, I fail to see could cause offence to a single person.

I signed up to abide by the rules, no where do the rules state that the moderators will delete links to content THEY deem unfit that don't contravene a single rule.

Whilst on the subject of "the rules"

Rule 2.1 states "Our objective is to moderate this forum with a light touch.

If we're going to follow all the rules, then that applies to the moderators too and they certainly aren't applying rule 2.1
CHRIS
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

This is just a private British forum owned by CW and run by a close group of older people who set the rules and moderate content as they like. CW probably set the rules. You won't change their mind and you won't be part of the inner circle. Just keep in mind we're just guests here and move on. You can start your own forum, Facebook group or subreddit and set your own rules.

It's not a democracy where the members have any say in how it's run. As it is owned by CW, they rather play it safe and boring than be controversial which may damage the company and the brand.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

DISJT wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:34 amThe moderators are here to moderate the forum content.
Isn’t that exactly what they did? I mean it’s even implied by the term they are referred to by - moderators....here to moderate the content. It’s not censorship. It’s moderating the content to reflect the purpose and intent of the forum.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

welshlad wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:40 am
DISJT wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:43 pm Just how many under 18's are there on The forum?
Just because we are all adults doesn't mean that we can post or link to any content we like, on the grounds that us adults can take it or leave it. The forum's rules and values is what makes it what it is - which is a pleasant, uncontroversial place to be....If you want more racy/adult content then there are plenty of other places to access it on the internet. It's not censorship to insist that it's not posted here in this little corner of the internet predominately dedicated to CW watches.
Exactly! I come here for discussion of watches.
Drew
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT »

There was no swearing, foul language, racist or offensive content in my actual post.

There was swearing in the linked video but you had to actually watch the video to be subjected to that. And as pointed out by KIP, there was a written warning at the very start of the video. It wasn't on the forum, it was on youtube. If I posted it on the forum then by all means delete it in case anyone is offended by comedy.

The decision to delete a link to a video I thought other members would find funny is ridiculous. People aren't actually offended. People are feigning offence. I believe you would refer to them as the "snowflake generation" in America.

No one is stopping you from discussing watches. No one is deleting your posts relating to watch discussions. I come here to discuss all manner of things. The forum is NOT predominantly dedicated to CW watches. CW watches are a very small part of the discussions on this forum. "Non CW of the day" is a far more active thread than any of the CW threads.

And you are probably all correct, a forum devoid of personality, independent thought and humour, isn't a place for me.
CHRIS
r-macus
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by r-macus »

This is happening all over on every internet site i'm using. I've noticed in the last roughly 4 months,or more so since all that cookie craic came out after facebook. The amount of censorship and dare i use the word 'snowflake' ideology that is being implemented has increased tenfold. Once great sites have lost so many viewers because of heavy handed censorship/moderation that doesn't fit the current agenda.
STOC : Seiko sarb033 / Seiko srp775 / Christopher ward c60 trident pro vintage / Zelos swordfish / Certina ds podium / Yema 011-ba / Luminox seaturtle 0301 
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:49 am Exactly! I come here for discussion of watches.
Conveniently, non-watch related topics are posted in their own sub-forum, so that you don't have to see them if you don't want to. This "offtopic " sub-forum exists because, unlike you, some of us like to share and read about other, non watch related topics that might be of interest to other users. Assuming the offending post was posted appropriately in Offtopic, you were not in affected by it. It is not against the rules to post topics that are not about watches, so I'm not sure what your point is.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I think it is reasonably clear what is going on here...

It started with the “joke” in the Robert Kubica thread, which some thought was in poor taste.

The joke was not deleted, but it ultimately resulted in a member deciding to leave the forum - his choice.

This was followed up by a rant about people being offended on behalf of others, although to my mind, there’s a world of difference between being offended and thinking something is in bad taste...

The rant didn’t gain much traction, so the YouTube link was posted - to push the boundaries.

By now, I think all long-standing members realise where this forum sits on the spectrum of internet sites, and it is what it is.

I can understand why some people think it should be different, but with the vast choice of sites available, I also think there are plenty of other choices available.
Richard
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

Off to read the Robert Kubica thread now, as I've obviously missed out on something...
*Edit* Well that was an interesting read. I'm just going to leave this here:
To maintain the friendly atmosphere, we do not allow posts containing or relating to:
1.6 Personal attacks on others
Public chastisement is maybe more appropriate.
I suppose it is a matter of opinion as to whether 'public chastisement' constitutes an attack, (much like it's a matter of opinion as to whether the joke was funny or not, or whether the video was offensive or not) but we now know the moderator teams opinion on all these things. Regardless, encouraging the ongoing harassment of a member by a moderator is disgraceful in my opinion. The moderator in question should be ashamed of the post.
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

smegwina wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:14 pm Image
:lol: and we are on page two already :lol:
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Lavaine wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:29 am I suppose it is a matter of opinion as to whether 'public chastisement' constitutes an attack
This is an interesting point
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by copemanphoto »

Yup page 2 already, pass the popcorn, this is gonna be good! :popcorn:
Cheers, Mike.