Mid-life crisis, challenge, bucket-list or life-long dream?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
downer
CW-watches: 4

Mid-life crisis, challenge, bucket-list or life-long dream?

Post by downer »

I owned my first motorcycle when I was about thirteen. Unlike scooter and Robin, I can't remember the registration plate. In fact, I can't even remember the make and model - other than it was 80cc, Italian and several years old.

What I do remember is learning to ride in my mate's (a farmer's son) fields and enjoying every minute of it. He had a BSA Bantam which was far better suited to the conditions, as I recall the front mudguard of my bike was rather close to the wheel for trail riding - meaning I had to stop and clear out the muck on a regular basis!

At 16 (like many of my generation, I suspect) I got a Yamaha FS1-E, but not before I’d had a crash on another bike (riding illegally on the road before I was of age) and broken my arm.

The FS1-E was replaced by a car as soon as I passed my test (aged 17 and 1/4), and that was the end of my motorcycling career. The change of direction was caused by the usual reasons... however, I always regret not pursuing it and passing my motorcycle test.

Now that I've retired I have the time to have another go!

Partly, this has been fuelled by my recent jaunts on my electric-bike, which has unlocked a desire for a few mini-adventures and jaunts into the countryside, and enabled by my recent Daytona/Explorer transaction which has released some funds that I can push in this direction.

So, I am good to go - although a little daunted by the process, if I'm honest.

Step 1 is the theory test and hazard perception malarky. I last read the highway code a few decades ago, so I have some learning to do. I have booked the test - as a sign of commitment to this project!

Step 2 will be an intensive Direct Access course - 7 days for CBT, Module 1 and Module 2. If all goes to plan I will emerge with my motorcycle licence, and absolutely no experience.

Step 3 will be choosing an appropriate bike and beginning the adventure.

Naturally, I want to start with Step 3 , but hopefully, the journey will be fun.
Richard
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Mid-life crisis, challenge, bucket-list or life-long dre

Post by scooter »

Good for you.

As you know I've never taken the Test but may be shamed by you in the future to do so.

It's a great feeling on two wheels. Yesterday I did a 150 miler and rode the coast road from Burton Bradstock to Abbotsbury, my favourite road.

I look forward to hearing of your 'journey'.

PS I'm seriously thinking of buying a 2018 Honda Monkey bike.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
downer

Post by downer »

Funnily enough, I saw a guy on a Monkey bike this morning - shortly after doing some stage 3 planning at the Honda dealership.
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I guess you could call it any of those things and perhaps a few more besides! The point is, if you want to do it and you can do it, do it. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer

Post by downer »

scooter wrote:
PS I'm seriously thinking of buying a 2018 Honda Monkey bike.

scooter
Just had a look at the Monkey video on YouTube. Looks a lot of fun. Would you keep the Forza or swap?
Richard
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

I've decided to hang up my scooter gear in late June 2020 when my current CBT runs out and I'll be 67.

I've had a blast over the last 10 years and look forward to the next 22 months.

My polymyalgia rheumatica is giving me occasional problems in handling the Forza when out of the saddle because of the sheer weight.

My thought process is that it might be nice to have a real fun bike to finish off my biking days. The Monkey Bike, although 125cc like the Forza, is a lot lighter. The Forza can touch 74 mph on GPS and cruise happily around 60 mph whereas I'm guessing the Monkey Bike would cruise around 45-50 with a potential top speed around 62 mph.

It just looks like it would be a blast to own and ride and I've never ridden a geared motor bike.

Monkey Bike

I just need to give it more thought.

scooter
downer

Post by downer »

Sounds like a plan. Forza = 159kg, Monkey = 107kg.
Richard
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

That reduction in weight would be a real asset to me.

I've just realised that you are only 2 years older than when I retook to the roads on 2 wheels in 2008 at 55.

You have little idea what fun is ahead of you for some time to come.

scooter
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Good for you Richard, live life to a full. :thumbup:
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Sounds like a great idea Richard and I'm sure the initial planning and selection of a bike will give you as much pleasure as then riding it.

One point to remember, whilst you have a base line of many years driving experience, there are a whole set of new hazards when on two wheels i.e. white lines are slippery when wet.

Take care.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Steve D

Post by Steve D »

Good luck to the OP. I rode bikes when I was younger but then got into cars. In 2005 for a laugh I bought a Puch Grand Prix, a sort of FS1E clone and having a car licence from a certain date I automatically had a full moped licence so I rode that without L plates and even took a pillion! Then in 2006 a rash eBay purchase saw me on a 6 week old Honda Pantheon 125 scooter and of course I had to do the CBT to ride that with L plates. Before the CBT expired I took a crash course and passed my test which allowed me to get a Honda SH300 scooter which I still have as a commuter scooter. After 2 years it allowed me to ride anything so I bought a brand new Suzuki 650 executive scooter and I did a couple of European trips with friends - the first year we went to Nice and the following year we went to lake Garda. We always met up with our wives and had a 3 day mini luxury stay halfway through our trips. I part exchanged that in 2014 for a Yamaha FJR 1300 and we did another trip to lake Garda, one to the South of France (we rented a villa for the week) and lake Maggiore. Last year we went as far as Pamplona in Spain. I though I’d had enough - the rides out in the mountains were great but the slog getting there and back were boring so I sold it last year. At this very moment my three mates are on their way to Corsica. They left Friday evening and tonight they are staying in Gap in France, having done about 700 miles. Tomorrow they are riding to Nice and getting a midnight ferry to Corsica, arriving at 8:00am on Monday morning. They are basing themselves in one hotel, going out for day trips and leaving to come home, a trip of over a thousand miles, on Thursday evening. But.....I am getting a flight tomorrow at 7.00pm from Stansted, arriving at 10.10pm local time. Getting a cab to a nearby hotel, a few beers and a nice sleep and I’m being picked up at 9:00 on Monday morning by a bike hire company and hiring a Honda NCX750 until my Thursday morning flight home. It’s costing me less than half of what they are paying just to get there and back (Eurotunnel, hotels, fuel, tolls, food, ferry, breakdown insurance etc) without any of the aggro. It’s cost me £98 return for a scheduled flight with luggage on Air Corsica and €335 for the bike. I’m meeting up with them and we’re all staying in the same hoteI. I think they may be joining me on a fly-ride next year! :thumbup:
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Go for it Richard! Some of my best times were on a bike. While it has been several years since I owned one, the desire has not gone away.

I started with dirt bikes and graduated to street bikes after a year or two. The rules of the road are the same but handling a 2 wheeler in traffic and driving to be noticed is a different animal. With some practice you will adapt and then you will enjoy the ride fully. It is never to late. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Good luck, Richard, and enjoy the experience. Just take it careful!

I won't bother you with the impact on your projected mortality rates! :escape:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

welshlad wrote:Good luck, Richard, and enjoy the experience. Just take it careful!

I won't bother you with the impact on your projected mortality rates! :escape:
Does that mean a better annuity rate?!

In all seriousness sounds like a lot of fun, but be safe.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I can imagine the calls of “hypocrite” from my kids if I were to buy myself a motorbike. I’ve spent a couple of decades telling/persuading/asking my kids not to buy/ride motorbikes.

It’s a personal thing; my dad was almost killed on a bike when he was younger, so I’ve always been very aware of the challenges faced by bike riders in traffic from a very young age. I’ve always tried to be very aware of motorbikes and cyclists when I’m driving; it’s something that I wish more drivers would care about...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier