Mid-life crisis, challenge, bucket-list or life-long dream?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Mid-life crisis, challenge, bucket-list or life-long dream?

Post by downer »

I've had an 'interesting' few weeks bike-wise. Having purchased the Z900RS I fairly quickly had massive buyers remorse. Looking at the two of them in the garage, I was always drawn to ride the BMW:

I guess I prefer the riding position and power delivery - perhaps a less 'exciting' ride, but certainly more comfortable and an increased perception of safety. I also prefer the handling and 'go anywhere' feeling of the BMW. I also became convinced that owning more than one bike was not suited to me. I was far happier with just the one.

I put about 1,000 miles on the Kawasaki, trying to convince myself it was not a mistake, but in the end, it was simply that: A mistake.

Sooo. Long story short, I have traded both my bikes for a bigger GS. It was not too painful (financially) and very cathartic - even if I do feel a bit stupid.

I have promised myself (and my long-suffering wife) that 'this is it' - although I've probably said the same thing about watches in the past. :D

Anyway, here it is...

Richard
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Wowser! Ace bike! Cool wire wheels! :clap:
Steve.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Beautiful bike and a sensible solution.

is that the BMW R1250 GS Adventure?

Rife safe.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
downer

Post by downer »

scooter wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:01 pm Beautiful bike and a sensible solution.

is that the BMW R1250 GS Adventure?

Rife safe.

scooter
It's the regular R1250GS, rather than the "Adventure", which is basically the same bike with more suspension travel and a bigger tank. The Adventure is mahoosive whereas the regular GS is only huge.

In actual fact it's about 10% heavier than my F750GS but due to the horizontally opposed engine, the centre of gravity (or mass if that's a better term?) is far nearer the ground, which makes it equally easy to man-handle.
Richard
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Thanks for the information.

You do realise that your engine is a mere 10 times that of my 125cc Monkey!

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Top notch Richard.

The boxer engine is a classic beemer.

Mind you, I hadn't realised they are now out at 1250cc. :shock:

Do you think that you are better off for having had the F750GS, got used to it and riding a bike, as opposed to going straight to the GS1250 which you might have felt intimidated by?

Enjoy your trips out and about.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
downer

Post by downer »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Top notch Richard.

The boxer engine is a classic beemer.

Mind you, I hadn't realised they are now out at 1250cc. :shock:

Do you think that you are better off for having had the F750GS, got used to it and riding a bike, as opposed to going straight to the GS1250 which you might have felt intimidated by?

Enjoy your trips out and about.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Thanks, Guy.

I definitely agree the 750 was a great introductory bike for me, and there’s no way I could have bypassed that stage and jumped straight onto the bigger model. The 750 enabled me to build some skills and confidence as well as get used to the weight whilst manoeuvring it around in car parks etc.

Now I just need to become familiar with the 1250 before my advanced test - which is fairly imminent...

Off to Wales this morning.
Richard
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Brilliant! Congrats Richard. I love my 1200GS but having had a loaner wasser-cooled 1200GS during a service a couple of years ago have always fancied one- the growl from the engine, the smooth power delivery and secure handling are just wonderful. The 1250 must be very similar with a bit more grunt. Well done going for the advanced test. Enjoy!
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
downer

Post by downer »

richtel wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 am Brilliant! Congrats Richard. I love my 1200GS but having had a loaner wasser-cooled 1200GS during a service a couple of years ago have always fancied one- the growl from the engine, the smooth power delivery and secure handling are just wonderful. The 1250 must be very similar with a bit more grunt. Well done going for the advanced test. Enjoy!
Thanks Rich. I never tried a 1200LC but I am told that the 1250 is indeed very similar - a bit more grunt, a bit smoother, a few more electronic bits and pieces, but fundamentally the same.
Richard
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Superb choice Richard. I love my 1200 but don't use it enough to warrant trading up to the 1250. Good to see you went with the wire wheels rather than forged.

Are you going to the BMW off road school when you go to Wales? Well worth a trip if not as they will get you riding the heck out of that bike and doing things you never thought possible.

They are amazing bikes. My 1200 replaced a sports bike and a tourer. It easily does the work of both bikes. Throw on some touratech alu luggage on it and it will go anywhere whilst keeping many a sports bike honest with its low centre of gravity and phenomenal grunt.

The beauty of the boxer is the way that the pulses of the pistons act as their own traction control. Slam her open and she will rock and roll through the gears with gay abandon. Try that with a four or a triple and it will spit you onto the hedge before you realise what is happening.

Good luck with her and enjoy!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

downer

Post by downer »

smegwina wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:23 pm Superb choice Richard. I love my 1200 but don't use it enough to warrant trading up to the 1250. Good to see you went with the wire wheels rather than forged.

Are you going to the BMW off road school when you go to Wales? Well worth a trip if not as they will get you riding the heck out of that bike and doing things you never thought possible.

They are amazing bikes. My 1200 replaced a sports bike and a tourer. It easily does the work of both bikes. Throw on some touratech alu luggage on it and it will go anywhere whilst keeping many a sports bike honest with its low centre of gravity and phenomenal grunt.

The beauty of the boxer is the way that the pulses of the pistons act as their own traction control. Slam her open and she will rock and roll through the gears with gay abandon. Try that with a four or a triple and it will spit you onto the hedge before you realise what is happening.

Cheers, Nick.

I don't think the difference between 1200 and 1250 would be worth the upgrade cost unless there was another compelling reason.

As for the wire wheels, I was not planning to get them but the dealer had that specific bike in stock. So, a bit of negotiation later, I decided I would "live with them"... Now I've got them, I'm glad it worked out that way.

On the luggage front, I transferred the Give aluminium top case from my 750 and that will do fine for now. Having added that and some engine bars, the bike certainly has some presence on the road, which I really appreciate. In fact, it's almost the same footprint as a small car. :D

Anyway, clocked up 350 miles this weekend and I'm loving it.
Richard
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Many Congratulations Richard !!!
That GS is a stunner, Enjoy it my friend and safe travels.
downer

Post by downer »

Cheers Ferg. :thumbup:
Richard
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

downer wrote:
smegwina wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:23 pm Superb choice Richard. I love my 1200 but don't use it enough to warrant trading up to the 1250. Good to see you went with the wire wheels rather than forged.

Cheers, Nick.

I don't think the difference between 1200 and 1250 would be worth the upgrade cost unless there was another compelling reason.

As for the wire wheels, I was not planning to get them but the dealer had that specific bike in stock. So, a bit of negotiation later, I decided I would "live with them"... Now I've got them, I'm glad it worked out that way.

On the luggage front, I transferred the Give aluminium top case from my 750 and that will do fine for now. Having added that and some engine bars, the bike certainly has some presence on the road, which I really appreciate. In fact, it's almost the same footprint as a small car. :D

Anyway, clocked up 350 miles this weekend and I'm loving it.
That's a great looking bum. Interesting to see how the exhaust has grown hugely over the years and is now styled as part of the profile.

downer

Post by downer »

Happy to report that I passed my advanced test (IAM Roadsmart) this morning. Pretty knackered now but it was a good day!
Richard