Mid-life crisis, challenge, bucket-list or life-long dream?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Mid-life crisis, challenge, bucket-list or life-long dream?

Post by downer »

Dancematt wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:41 am Looks good Richard, your pics make it look lighter/ more agile, than anything previous ive seen. Hope it gets a new end can at some point down the line 8)
Thanks Pete. So far, it's a very easy bike to ride. For me, it's miles better than the F700GS, particularly at very slow traffic speeds where it's very well balanced. As for the can... no aesthetic mods for a while, although a bigger screen is probably the biggest priority.
Richard
downer

Post by downer »

Thought I'd give this thread an update, reflecting on my first month of motorcycle ownership.

I have to say that acquiring this bike is one of the best things I've done in recent times. Taking every opportunity with the half-decent December weather, I clocked up 700 miles and had the "running-in check" service carried out earlier this week. Those 700 miles were mainly local - consisting of 30 - 60 mile rides with a mix of open A roads, smaller lanes, town traffic and a few dual carriageways etc.

I spent my time learning the bike, and building my confidence and experience - and slowly but surely my riding is improving, although I'm still very much a novice. I've also started to add a few bits and bobs to the bike - just to make it even more suited to the way I want to use it.

Next steps will be the DVSA Enhanced Rider Scheme, hopefully followed by the IAM Roadsmart Advanced Rider Course, which I plan to start in April. Fortunately for me, in my area, the cost of the course is 50% funded by a local council road safety initiative, which makes it very affordable.

Meanwhile, roll on the Spring! It's all good and well riding in this cold weather but I have to say I'm looking forward to the days when the sun actually shines higher in the sky!
Richard
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Great to hear that you are moving somewhat cautiously. As we get older it is sometimes is difficult to adapt. The advanced course is a great idea. In my youth I took three different courses at a racing schools and defensive driving schools. I still of use the same techniques today. They were extremely valuable.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Sounds like your approaching it in a very sensible manner - short trips and get used to the bike.
Adding a few bits to make things more suited to you is a very good idea - you need to be concentrating on where you are going and what is around you rather than being uncomfortable. Same goes for having the right gear.
I took the RoSPA Advanced Motorcycle training just over 2 years ago - best thing I ever did despite having over 30 years experience.
I'm now training to become a Blood Biker.
downer

Post by downer »

Well, three months later and tomorrow is day one of my IAM training. I’ve covered almost 4000 miles on the BMW and feel ready for the next steps, which should enable me to smoother and safer.

Must admit I’m also strongly considering swapping a couple of watches for an additional bike...
Richard
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

downer wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:00 pm Well, three months later and tomorrow is day one of my IAM training. I’ve covered almost 4000 miles on the BMW and feel ready for the next steps, which should enable me to smoother and safer.

Must admit I’m also strongly considering swapping a couple of watches for an additional bike...
Now that IS a crisis.
downer

Post by downer »

atnits wrote:
downer wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:00 pm Well, three months later and tomorrow is day one of my IAM training. I’ve covered almost 4000 miles on the BMW and feel ready for the next steps, which should enable me to smoother and safer.

Now that IS a crisis.
Indeed, it’s threatening the very core of my beliefs! :lol:
Richard
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Really pleased that you are following the route of getting additional training - You will undoubtedly learn a lot and should be fun.

As for considering selling a couple of watches to fund another steed...that I can quite understand and something that has crossed my mind too.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Watches? Motorcycles?

Its only money.

I've got a long term plan to change my car in a couple of years time and will likely sell a few watches to help fund this.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Don’t want to take advantage of your mid life crisis....but any bargains going..Richard :lol:
downer

Post by downer »

kiter65 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:03 pm Don’t want to take advantage of your mid life crisis....but any bargains going..Richard :lol:
Well... depends on your definition of ‘bargain’.

Based on what gets worn least, I think my Geophysic may go, as well as my Speedmaster LE.

Together they should pay for either one of these...
BB6B2FD7-9F2A-479D-B85C-8E3E14465175.jpeg
Or this...
CBD5B028-1050-435D-A30D-49CFD289D60C.jpeg
Richard
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Z900 :thumbup:
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Oh wow 8) ...Z900 :cuinlove:

I've been tempted by one of these:
Fury.jpg
Yep...it's a Honda :shock: :D
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Got to be the Kwakka.

Ducati Scrambler to too close in concept to what you have at the moment.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

atnits wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Now that IS a crisis.
What is it about retirement that calls people back to or to their first motorbike?
Logically shouldn't the age that we retire at make us consider safety, luxury and comfort over the potential shortening of our remaining years or serious injury on a vehicle that gives less protection in the event of an accident?
If you want speed and the open air then buy a fast convertible car, right?

Me? A Porsche Boxster, Honda S2000 or a modified Mazda MX5 would be my equivalent of your choices (although I'll make do with my existing convertible car) but whatever way any of us choose to spend our money should be right for us, particularly once we've reached a "certain age".

Sounds like you've really got into what motorbikes provide and you've gone about it in a manner to be admired through the initial training and further training to be undertaken.

There are no shops in the graveyard so enjoy whatever you choose without any regrets.