The Ebay Thread

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

The Ebay Thread

Post by what-time-is-it » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:54 pm

I've been a regular buyer and seller on ebay since 2005 with feedback in the region of approx. 40k, so I have plenty of experience of the platform and of other ebay users.

I know some people detest ebay and others use it like any other marketplace, so I thought it would be good to discuss experiences both good and bad. So please share your experiences and not just for watches.

My ebay purchases

Looking at my current collection 11 watches have come from ebay sellers and of these 7 were accurately described, with the others either incomplete wrong box/packaging or sellers unable to describe items accurately eg. mint, perfect, unmarked, amazing condition when they're not and have marks or scratches or bits missing. For balance I've also purchased new watches from the likes of H Samuel, Ernest Jones, Goldsmiths & Beaverbrooks in the UK where items are marked or appear to be ex-display, customer returns etc but sold as new. I've never received a counterfeit item at the time of writing.

What I look for

A pet hate for me is sellers listing as 'New' and then you read the description and it states I've only worn it a few times around the house or for a weekend - so it's a used item and not new!

What I do like with ebay is generally speaking you can see the actual item you are buying, whereas it's generally pot luck from any other internet purchase. I'm more wary about buying something when the seller uses a stock photo or is using an image with someone else's watermark or logo.

I buy mostly from the UK, tend to give feedback a brief glance before I buy, but don't rely on it as fact - just like society ebay has plenty of idiots who leave stupid comments so I tend to look for a trend.

When I buy from overseas it's often from the USA, which tends to mean the Global Shipping option - I've used this twice, first time round it took almost a month, second time was quicker but the watch wasn't as described. It's expensive slow with far too many stages and couriers involved.

Disputes

Which brings me on to a new Alpina watch I purchased at the start of the month for £750 incl tax and delivery, which arrived last week but with 2 links missing and had clearly been worn. On receipt I opened dialogue with the seller (not a dispute at first), provided pictures the same day and they asked me to return, but ignored the fact that they are responsible for return international shipping.

Many messages were sent and they continued to ignore the return shipping requirement for items 'not as described' so I escalated the case to ebay. This is the first time I've ever felt the need to do this, as normally I've either bought from a UK seller, or the seller accepts they made a mistake and we sort something out like adults.

So fast forward a week, ebay look at the comments and agree to refund me as the seller has ignored the request to supply a returns label or arrange collection. They may still contact me and arrange for collection, but the refund is done and should hit my card tomorrow or Tuesday and presumably due to exchange rates, I'm getting back slightly more than I paid, plus an Alpiner Chronograph for free...

I checked with ebay on the return of the goods and they have said it's up to the seller to supply a pre-paid label and if they don't I don't need to return it! For now it's staying in it's box and obviously if they do sort a return I will send it back - but given the seller was awkward from the initial message I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't bother.

All view's are welcome!
Current collection incl Alpina, Bulova, Casio, Christopher Ward, Citizen, Orient, Oris, Raymond Weil, Seiko, & Tag.

Chris

Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: The Ebay Thread

Post by Thegreyman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Wow, in the same week on the forum, a free Explorer and now a free Alpina :shock: :lol:

More seriously, 40k feedbacks, you have done a lot of ebay dealing! I'm a relative novice at just over 600.

My experiences have been mainly good, bought a lot of new, or well cared for used items. You can usually tell from the photos and description if something is decent. I've had a few disputes mainly against people who bought then didn't pay which is very annoying and not much you can do about it.

I did once have an issue with a watch I sold to a guy in California through the ebay Global Shipping Programme (GSP). Ebay said it had been delivered but he said he'd never received it and did a charge back on his credit card which then blocked those funds on my paypal account. It took a few calls to ebay to get their evidence that it had been delivered to then provide that to paypal and wait over a month for it to be resolved, thankfully in my favour. You'd think once it gets to ebay in England and into their GSP then the responsibility for delivery and subsequent loss is theirs and they will reimburse you if it goes astray...but no, they told me that I had to take it up with paypal. So although it worked out in the end, it was a bit of a stress. The protection on ebay seems to be 99% with the buyer. So it is good to be able to use the SC (sales corner) facility on the forum from time to time :)
Patrick

C11 Elite, C60 FLE's Scooter Blue & Red Jag, C60 300, W11(wife)

Some others + a few on the way

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by what-time-is-it » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:49 pm

The 40k is from my old business account, which is mostly dormant now - funny thing is Patrick I think I've sold you a rubber strap in the past from my personal account. :silent:

Also the Alpina hasn't been confirmed as a freebie yet, but still no email asking for a return. :)

Current collection incl Alpina, Bulova, Casio, Christopher Ward, Citizen, Orient, Oris, Raymond Weil, Seiko, & Tag.

Chris

Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thegreyman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:14 pm

what-time-is-it wrote:The 40k is from my old business account, which is mostly dormant now - funny thing is Patrick I think I've sold you a rubber strap in the past from my personal account. :silent:
Haha, small world. Your ebay user name must start with a 1 then? I remember the strap, great nick and a good price too :thumbup: I'm sure I left you good feedback!
Patrick

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by what-time-is-it » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Yes, that's the one - still waiting for the chargeback!

Chris

DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DISJT » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:36 pm

I buy an awful lot of things from eBay. I've sold a few things to.

I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've had an issue but coincidentally one did come to a head this week.

About a month ago I ordered 2 "game of thrones" box sets. (My mother wanted to give them to my dad, for their anniversary, to complete his collection)

Well after 2 weeks, one of them hadn't arrived so I cancelled and got an immediate refund. The other did arrive, but, It didn't quite look right.

Knowing I had to re-order anyway, I re-ordered both from Amazon and, when comparing, it confirmed my suspicions.....

Ebay left, Amazon Right

So the eBay one was very fuzzy and faded. The HBO sticker is dull and faded. The "B" doesn't touch the "O" like it should. The centre circle of the "O" is the wrong size, Plus the "R", in the registered trademark, is touching the outer circle.

A very blatant counterfeit copy.

I sent the pictures to the seller and politely told them it was a fake and I wanted to return. They were very polite, gave some excuse about sourcing from a new vendor but deposited £3 into my paypal to return it. I sent it back at a cost of £4 recorded delivery.

Over a week went by and I heard nothing so I chased my refund. They then had the utter cheek to tell me they weren't issuing a refund because..
We have checked this item and this is authentic. There is nothing wrong with this. Ebay have been informed you have returned under false pretences.
:shock:

I sent an email back telling them to reconsider their attitude and stance as counterfeiting is illegal and would be reported to the police if they kept my money.

I then received an email from eBay stating that the seller had asked for them to step in and resolve the dispute. :shock: Another email from eBay followed moments later saying they'd found in my favour and issued a refund. When I checked, they'd deducted the return postage from my refund. So I had to open another dispute to regain that.

The truly annoying thing though, I can't leave the seller Negative feedback as I had a refund??? Plus the item is still for sale???

Seems eBay like to protect counterfeiters from negative comments.
CHRIS

0uatiOW
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:44 pm

For me, ebay has been a bit hit and miss. More hits than misses for sure. I buy a lot of small items, where the seller is a business (or selling commercially) and they tend to work out well - small household items, tools, watch straps (found a guy in Vietnam selling genuine crocodile straps for less than £20). Purchases from private individuals unloading unwanted items, in most cases, have worked out fine. I bought a 1960’s Seamaster, and an Oris Divers 65, both of which were in excellent condition and accurately described.

The less positive experiences tend to come when buying used items from an obvious dealer, with listings liberally sprinkled with words like new, mint, rare and “keeps excellent time”. I always check seller feedback, but I guess buying from any second-hand dealer in any location carries risks. This is where I have been burned a few times, so I don’t buy from this type of seller any more. I bought an Oris Big Crown Pointer, which arrived and looked immediately suspicious - I couldn’t put my finger on it - it ticked too loudly and didn’t feel like a genuine Oris. I contacted the seller stating my doubts about the authenticity - he agreed to the return immediately, which suggests I was right. There have been a few other non-watch issues, and while I’ve always eventually got the result I wanted, the inconvenience can be considerable, and the doubt whether the refund will come always lingers until the credit eventually appears.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by what-time-is-it » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:29 am

Chris,

If you still have the original 'Order Confirmed' email from ebay, this will have a link to view the order - you then should have the option to leave feedback.

My case was won in my favour and I can still leave feedback.

Your post about counterfeits is somewhat ironic, as most of my feedback was from retailing DVD's and Blu-Rays a decade ago, none of which were dodgy before you ask. :)

Also worth noting that just because you buy something from Amazon, doesn't guarantee it's genuine or new. I bought a quartz watch two or three years ago from Amazon UK not Amazon marketplace and it was dead on arrival - only thing was the documents with the watch were stamped from Ernest Jones a year earlier. So guessing someone forgot about the watch, realised it was faulty or in need of a new battery, bought another from Amazon and presumably returned the Ernest Jones one to Amazon for a refund...

Chris

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by what-time-is-it » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:32 pm

"damodude25" selling vouchers on eBay, but not hiding the code... :lol:

Chris

Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thegreyman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:23 pm

We need Scott to revive the Wera strategy of selling the codes for 1p on ebay!
Patrick

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by what-time-is-it » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am

Appears to be up to 10% off ebay UK today using code PERKS until 8pm today.
Minimum purchase £20, maximum discount £50. 1 redemption per account.

Chris

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by what-time-is-it » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Couldn't resist £50 off, several trinkets purchased.

Chris

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by what-time-is-it » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:55 am

For those that use ebay in the UK, from week commencing 8th October ebay are expanding their click and collect offering with 2500 additional locations from the CollectPlus network.

Chris