scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Why Do Flippers Flip?

Post by scooter »

I know that we have members who have never sold any watches that they have bought and that's brilliant, but this thread is aimed at those that do (and sometimes often).

I have bought seventeen watches over the past eight years and sold ten of them. I have another four that I would like to get shot of and will sometime.

The reason I sell my watches is that after a time I usually get bored with them, a bit like my cars and scooters.

Why do you sell/flip yours?

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Why Do Flippers Flip?

Post by TheBeatles »

My flipping started mainly after joining this Forum.

I used to be only aware of the major brands:- Rolex, Omega, Breitling and Tag. (I know there some more prestigious brands than Tag, but in my ignorance they were one of the big boys)

Then I became more aware of some of the, shall we say, lesser brands. CW, Steinhart, Seiko etc.

So I sold most of my big brands (kept 1 Omega and 1 Tag, for sentimental reasons) and started a journey of buying some less expensive but interesting pieces.

I bought a fair few CWs but as my tastes developed I sold them all bar one and flipped the rest.

For the moment, I think my flipping is over. Collection standing at 15 with 1 Samurai incoming and the new Prospex “Save The Ocean” on order. That will fill the 17 spaces in my watch winder. Will be difficult to sell any of these because I like and wear them all currently.

So, in answer to the thread question, I started flipping because the Forum developed my taste and knowledge.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Roger1
Junior
Junior

Post by Roger1 »

I need to sell some of mine but the prospect of virtually giving them away is putting me off. I have never sold anything on ebay, I understand that you can put a minimum price on but as yet have not took the plunge.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

My tastes change and I 'go off' a watch or it just lost that certain something.
Or sometimes it's just to use it as a stepping stone to buy another one I have my eye on.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Mainly to fund the next one. As mentioned previously, this forum and watches in general on social media have made me aware of new shiny things. most notable for me was the clear out so i could get the Speedy.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I'm sure it could be complex answer but like you it can be a tendency to get bored but also largely because I never seem to be able to be satisfied. Almost as soon as a target is acquired and often at quite considerable expense I see the next must have piece and off we go again! I have no interest in having a large collection so something will often get moved on to facilitate this. I currently have 5 really nice watches and that should be it but I know what I am like and no doubt there will be changes in the future!
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

In the last 10 years (basically since records began) I have bought 84 watches. I still own 15 of them - so there's certainly been some flipping going on.

In the end, I think all the flipping is driven by the desire for the next one - coupled with the practicalities of:

a) not wanting to have a massive collection of watches that don't get worn
b) not having a money tree
c) making some buying mistakes
d) getting bored with one or two along the way
Richard
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

I'm a non-flipper.

I only buy if I intend to keep. Here's my perspective from the other side.

Watches are a very personal item, being worn on the body, yet don't wear out like clothes (assuming money is spent on servicing).
Over time they acquire emotional significance because they remind us of occasions and time spent wearing them.

Show one of my watches my children and ask them what it is, they won't say 'it's a so-and-so watch, one of thousands of identical watches made by that company'. They will say 'that's my dad's watch. He always wore it on holiday' or something similar depending on which piece it is.

Most things in life get replaced, cars, technology, white goods, clothes, etc.
We might look back with fondness, for example to an old house or car, but out of necessity we have to move on.
For me, watches are different. They don't wear out, nor are so valuable that it is necessary to sell one to acquire another.

It's nice to have something from decades ago as a physical reminder of past events.

It's a bit like marrying your one true love and staying together for the rest of your life, as opposed to constantly going from one relationship to another. A series of flings will, in the end, not bring the satisfaction of a deep relationship developed over many decades of shared experience.
Except of course, watches don't mind if you have a few in your collection.

My advice would be the same for watches as in matters of love. Be a bit more choosy and flip less.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^^ @hughesyn that is a most profound statement. You are Søren Kierkegaard and I claim my prize.

I do share a similar view, although I do have a few with which I have no attachment, they will be moved on, when I can get around to it. If I look back at wrist shots of watches, that were taken on holiday of family occasions, I can remember where and when each was taken.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

There's always something that catches the eye and I dread to think how many have passed through my mitts, sometimes two or three times (see today's NCWOTD).

I've got a core of about 5 or 6 that remain, but the other 18 or so rotate and go in and out of orbit around these. There's a lot of fun in the sub-£500 bracket and this is my downfall. I'm pretty certain about what I like now and I know what won't work, but I still keep buying the 'cheapies' and building up mass.

It's all good fun though and periodically I'll have a purge with plans to cut it all down to 12 … and then build it all back up again :?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

hughesyn wrote:I'm a non-flipper.
Me too, I get just as much ‘value’ from each watch as I did the day I bought them. In fact, the ‘bond’ has developed as has their narratives. A few years ago I wrote a blog and I quoted an article in the Forbes magazine, which describes the appeal of a fine wristwatch that goes well beyond mere time telling to include personal style. I believe it’s more than just style, it’s also about who we are.

Hence my collection is very reflective of who I am. I guess flippers don’t have that connection.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I flip partly due to lack of funds for the next watch.

And partly so I can buy the same watch back again months later after much regret and begging to the new owner.
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

Seems to me we need to distinguish between different types of flippers:

1 The novelty flipper: flipping for the thrill of something new
2 The ‘upwards’ flipper: flipping and adding money to buy more expensive watches
3 The consolidation flipper: has too many watches and wants to reduce the number, while getting ‘better’ ones
4 The reduction flipper: has too many watches and simply wants to have fewer
5 The circumstances flipper: flipping because of financial situations, divorce (Russel Crowe) etc

There are probably more types.
Bjørn
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^^A pretty good summary, Bjørn. Elements of 2,3 and 4 in my case, though I’m not a flipping addict.

I only feel emotional attachment to watches if they were inherited from, given by or bought in memory of someone important. Those are keepers.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

stefs wrote:I'm sure it could be complex answer but like you it can be a tendency to get bored but also largely because I never seem to be able to be satisfied. Almost as soon as a target is acquired and often at quite considerable expense I see the next must have piece and off we go again! I have no interest in having a large collection so something will often get moved on to facilitate this. I currently have 5 really nice watches and that should be it but I know what I am like and no doubt there will be changes in the future!
This pretty much sums me up too,but I would add for me the thrill is in the chase.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39