Are forums dying?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Re: Are forums dying?

Post by theemaadhatter »

nbg wrote:@theemaadhatter - did you end up giving your view on watch winders on the FB page, or did you decide that your view would not have been well received?

Neil
Hi Neil,

First, I hope my reply in the thread wasn't perceived as a dig at the Facebook group in any way. I was only pointing out differences I have noticed in using both. I glad both the forum and the FB group exist. I'm happy being a member of both groups. They are both useful and enjoyable, generally. My response was an indirect way of answering the question posed in this thread title. FB is good for a quick pic, a way to share a shiny new trinket, elicit likes to build confidence, and ask some basic questions. Those are good things. But, as long as people have opinions and a wish to express them in detail, weigh pros and cons in detail, build resources, and network on a deeper level, I believe forums will stay lively.

Hehe, I'd hate to be the person on the FB group that runs in and crashes a thread party by being somewhat negative on a given topic. :lol: FB is a feel-good place. If you post a pic there or show something you're proud of then you kind of hope for all the good feels. I guess you sort of know what you're going to get, including a lot of Food pics. Here on the forum you never know what you're going to get. :D
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

neilj568 wrote:
jtc wrote:Interestingly, Facebook groups have become more popular as the general age of its users has risen. The teenagers I know rarely use Facebook, it's an older person's platform (like Friends Reunited was).
I'm advised by my teenagers that Facebook is for old people and Snapchat and Instagram (whatever they are) are the choice of the "yoof" these days.
Not just teenagers.

My son, in his late twenties has a similar outlook.

Except he does not use Snapchat or Instagram but reads much, mostly sports and news, on twitter.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

yes, mainly twitter and Instagram for me.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

I said it in the last thread on this subject so may as well say it again.

FB is the grab and go lunch. The forum is the 3 course dinner. I like both and use both because they have a very different dynamic. In my overly busy life, I just do not have time to keep up with all the posts on either platform nor to make the considered and in depth posts that I think the forum in particular requires.

This is especially true where my opinion might differ from the consensus of thought on a particular matter, which it often does, because that demands a more well thought out and explained post. I too get part-way through a posting and just click back out before completing the thought because I simply don't have time to enter into the discussion if and when I need to respond to subsequent posts. When the cyclical nature of my business permits me to have more free time, then you'll see more of me here.

The Facebook group doesn't require that kind of time commitment so, for a quick watch fix, that's now where I normally go. After all, there is literally nobody else in my real life who shares this crazy passion. And it's easily accessible on my mobile devices which is a huge plus for me since I'm always on the go.

The biggest advantage the forum has over FB is in the historic store of information. This is the motherlode of all things CW related and, when I was new to the brand, was absolutely invaluable in coming up to speed. The loss of free Photobucket image hosting has somewhat diminished the usefulness of many of the historic threads but the value remains.

How that differs to FB which is a here today, gone tomorrow format with very limited access to historical content. Ideally suited to what's happening now, what's on sale now and raising awareness of the brand to new potential buyers. But, as I said before, that's the snack. The real content is here and that is why this forum has value and why CW, and us inmates, should value and cherish it and each other.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Photograph of the FaceBook Group at our last visit to No: 1, wide age range. The next visit has been confirmed, the enthusiasm is evident with the large number of people who have already confirmed their attendance. In conversation with Chris Ward and his staff all forms of opinion are valued whether by, telephone call, email, forum or via the FaceBook Group. Good, bad, indifferent, it all helps to shape the brand.

Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

I must say Richard, because the point keeps getting made here to the contrary, that I have NEVER been told that negative views are not welcome on the FB page. There are quite often lively, albeit brief, contrarian viewpoints exchanged over there. I know this because, by nature, I am a contrarian and also plain spoken so not sure who started that particular rumour here.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I agree with a lot of the earlier posts, the forum carries more depth of discussion, which I personally prefer, as it keeps me interested for longer. Good and bad, as long as it’s honest, should be of interest to the brand. How else can they gather market intelligence or customer feedback?

I hope they’re reading this thread, and consider putting the flags at 12 o’clock on at least some of the dials on future models. Trying to positive about it, it’s cool, modern, and I like the symmetry, the simplicity, and the language-neutrality.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by hughesyn »

Mikkei4 wrote:
hughesyn wrote:Oh yeah: Let's do another FLE!
That will liven the forum and show how much we care
I can't make out if you've been serious or not with your comments about another FLE and someone else volunteering if Kip doesn't want to do it.

In case you are being serious, with 8 out of 50 of the 2017 FLE being returned I don't think that shows how much we care about CW.
Would it liven up the forum? Probably for a while.
Just because 8 people changed their minds, I don't think that should put us off doing another FLE.
Those watches will eventually be sold.
Non-refundable deposits would avoid this. Presumably that's what they normally do with military and club specials.

On the website: "Over the years we have created over 200 bespoke watch designs for RAF squadrons, army battalions and navy vessels as well as driving and social clubs."

There's no reason they wouldn't take our money.

The minimum order for specials is 25, although most of these specials are just dial printing. If we want a simple change like hand colour a larger minimum order would be fine.

Surely we can russtle up 50 people for an FLE?

If they made an LE Trident with logo at 12 instead of at 9, we could probably sell hundreds...

This one is just a dial print, with logo at 9. How about that but with 'FLE 2019' instead of the dolphins?
That would sell like high temperature food made from a mixture of flour, fat, eggs and sugar.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

hughesyn wrote:
If they made an LE Trident with logo at 12 instead of at 9, we could probably sell hundreds...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Maybe this part of the discussion is more FLE than Forum's dying but I'll carry on here anyway.

8 returns might not sound much by that's 16% of 50 sold (I think).
hughesyn wrote:I don't think that should put us off doing another FLE.
I don't think that it's us that's being put off. I think it's more CW that'll be put off doing another and neither is Kip keen due to the percentage of returns.
hughesyn wrote:Non-refundable deposits would avoid this.
There was a non-refundable £100 deposit for the 2017 FLE and that didn't stop the 8 returns.
CW eventually refunded all the non-refundable deposits but I've no idea why.
hughesyn wrote:Surely we can russtle up 50 people for an FLE?
Seemingly we can't as there were only just about 50 that signed up for the 2017 FLE and 8 were returned so seems like we can't rustle up 50 people for a FLE.

I have to presume that the eventual design caused the returns but how do you get around that? LE Trident with logo at 12 will probably sell hundreds?

If you're confident of that why don't you volunteer to design this and get a separate thread going that defines the base watch, size (38mm/43mm?), dial and bezel and hand colours, suggested price, deposit and balance payment plan etc etc? Even if it doesn't initiate production of a 2018/19 FLE it'll liven up discussions.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I dont think CW will let you make a trident as mentioned above as it is prob already in the works as a general release.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

This went off topic quickly. Really? MORE discussion on the FLE?
WatchChat on Facebook
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by hughesyn »

FloridaPhil wrote:This went off topic quickly. Really? MORE discussion on the FLE?
Sorry about that, I didn't realise it was a mistake.

Edited to avoid upsetting anyone.
Consider wrist slapped.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Sorry, but the place to post about the FLE is in the old FLE thread to which you refer. Your response to me is exactly why the forum is dying. Rude and aggressive.
WatchChat on Facebook
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

FloridaPhil wrote:This went off topic quickly. Really? MORE discussion on the FLE?
Mikkei4 wrote:Maybe this part of the discussion is more FLE than Forum's dying but I'll carry on here anyway.
I acknowledged it might be better on "FLE Discussion" at the very start of my post but hughesyn has pointed out why he thinks it's here and maybe it's not so much off-topic for the reasons he stated.
Let's just agree that further talk about future FLE's or an independently initiated bespoke design should be in a separate new thread if it doesn't add to the "Forum dying" conversation. Maybe it'll give newer members an opportunity to get involved and air their new thoughts.