Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Something Is Wrong In The State Of Denmark

Post by rcherryuk »

Paul Drawmer wrote:The f/b group organised a successful trip to CW Towers recently, and they have another planned.
I think the group dynamic on here has been eroded. I stopped coming when someone I treated as a friend here decided that baiting me about Brexit everyday (I’m an EU civil servant who might be moving to Amsterdam, if the Brexit Bulldog doesn’t **** off the EU completely).

So to me the forum has a sour taste, even though everyone else has been great and shown me great support.

TBH I have other priorities than listening to ‘why can’t I access the sales corner’ and find I spent more time on Funda than I do on here :-)
Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

On 24 October 2012 along with other Forum members I went to Marlow for an afternoon/evening with Chris, Wera, JJ, Debs and a few others.

Just as a point of interest, looking back the following big posters are no longer here:

Totally gone: village, Loddonite, androo, mortis

Rarely check in: rcherryuk (although just has), paw3001, jmarchitect, HvS, Ian Blyth (albeit still a hard working Moderator)

CW contingent and gone: Wera, Debs

and Kip, ever present.

It was a great day though:

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... lit=marlow

I'm aware that some old members do pop back years later to flog their CWs.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

reggie747 wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:. . .. .

Mention has been made of the CW Enthusiasts Facebook Group and I feel it is worth pointing out a technical difference between this and the forum.

This forum is public; anyone can join (providing they know that we have 10 fingers :wink:) or view/follow anonymously.

The FB Group is a 'Closed Group' i.e. you have to be invited to join by an existing member (as I was) or, if you've found out about the group somehow you have to ask to join and be 'approved' by a member of the Admin team.

Which is the more of a clique?

Guy
With respect Guy, I'm not sure your last line actually makes the point you think it does ?
You've got me there Greg. I think I've confused myself. :oops:

I think what I meant to say is, that there has been mention made of the forum being cliquey which I'd advocate it isn't but, by the very nature of the FB Group being 'closed' (like a Mayfair Gentleman's Club or the MCC) it is, inter alia, a clique.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes

Post by Galton321 »

trsullivan wrote:
Galton321 wrote:Anyone know what proportion of members actually post? My feeling is that it is relatively small. But data trump's feelings everytime. Also curious to know why people don't post. Just shy or some other reason?
Speaking for myself, I don't post or reply to a post unless I have something to say. I visit the site several times a day, because I'm interested in what the members have to say, regardless of my thoughts or feelings on a given topic. If a less difficult method of posting photographs to the site were available, that would be nice, because I find the multi-site methods cumbersome and complex. Must be getting old, or something.

As for CW, Some of the current range are interesting, but I find myself looking for less expensive examples of watches, with similar features. I did get the 2017 FLE, which despite the visual issue with the hands, I find very nice, and a keeper. My tastes are eclectic, or catholic (small "c"), or something.
There are three watches currently in my sights, so for now, CW are in the back, awaiting future attention.
Thank you for the reply. Post when you've got something to say seems the best policy. Thanks to the forum I am now aware of lots of interesting small watch makers. Not really a big brand kind of person. Although I do have a Speedy.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

FloridaPhil took the words out of my mouth with his mealtime analogy. This forum and the FB group feed very different appetites. I was mentally comparing the drip drip drip of the tasty appetisers to the meaty satisfaction of a great big slab of one’s preferred protein.

This forum contains more detailed and wordy discussion, and the FB group provides more pictorial content, at least it did when I was a member. I got blocked, though I don’t know why exactly, but I suspect it was when I shared a link to another brand, newly launched, which I thought looked interesting. Perhaps the mods felt I was endorsing the other brand. I wasn’t - as a watch enthusiast, I am interested in other brand sometimes and I thought the other members might have felt the same way.

I have noticed the posting traffic here on the forum has dried up; that’s a shame, as the content has often been interesting and thoughtful. I too have found the strength of feeling about the rebranding, the sale website performance etc. tiresome - I think CW missed a trick when they decided on the new 9 o’clock name instead of a 12 o’clock flag logo, but I react to that by not buying. Still couldn’t resist the Trident bronze though.... Yes, my interest has waned a little now that I have my 3rd CW (actually my 4th if you count the Typhoon which had to go back under 60/60), and with the rebranding, but I still like the brand, and I like their ‘accessible to everyone’ approach and like what they are trying to do. I’ll continue to watch the CW range for interesting offerings, and for me this forum gives us a chance to keep on top of what’s going on, share views, gain insights, and fuel the passion we all share.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
I think what I meant to say is, that there has been mention made of the forum being cliquey which I'd advocate it isn't but, by the very nature of the FB Group being 'closed' (like a Mayfair Gentleman's Club or the MCC) it is, inter alia, a clique.

Guy
Nope. A clique is an 'inner circle' within a larger group. The FB group probably hasn't been established long enough to become cliquey, which it may in due course.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Bahnstormer_vRS

@FloridaPhil - ah, there you go. Thanks for that Phil.

Probably the point Greg was aiming towards.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Actually that's not true. A clique is defined as any group of people with shared interests who do not easily let others join in.

It's 100% applicable to the Facebook group by literal definition. However most often nowadays it's used by people who disagree with the perceived status quo of an online community.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

As a longtime member and high poster of this lovely forum, it has saddened me that it has gone very quiet here of late.
Many reasons have been mentioned by people on this thread already and most of them are valid.
Yes the Facebook group has taken a lot of traffic from here no doubt, I'm actually saddened by that too as I thought they would both coexist and not affect each other too much. I am an administrator on that group, not the originator though. As others have correctly said and pointed out, they are quite different though in some many ways. I have seen a decline in my own Mini Club forum as lots if not all have gone to the Facebook group instead but this is also a sign of the times I feel.
I do make a point of posting on both places equally.
I for one put my hand up for not starting or commenting as much on posts here over the last year or so.
There is no reason for it only laziness on my part to be truthful.
I aim to change that for sure.
Jeff Spangle
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Jeff Spangle »

0uatiOW wrote:This forum contains more detailed and wordy discussion, and the FB group provides more pictorial content...

I have noticed the posting traffic here on the forum has dried up; that’s a shame, as the content has often been interesting and thoughtful.

Agreed, but the drying up of posting is probably as a result of CW not being able to keep up with the forum's appetite for something new. There will inevitably be lulls in posting between announcements etc.

As for FB, well you hit that nail square on, it's quick/dirty/simple and appears to be popular. When you examine the actual content, there's not much being said.

The CW forum is still one of my default tabs I have open during the day and will remain so.
________________________________________________________________________________
various - Casio, Lego, TAG, Tudor, Seiko, Mondaine, Orient, Davis, Victorinox, Tissot, Alpina, Omega

and 3 Christopher Wards
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

I am also a member of the Facebook group. I have just looked at it and scrolled back over the past week. If you strip out the posts that accompany the pic of a watch being worn for the day by a member there is very little other content.

In many instances it’s easy enough to tie up and identify a Facebook name with their CW forum persona. Unless I have missed anyone, I can only think of three or four members on here with high post counts, who also post of Facebook. They still post on here.

This is not about Forum or Facebook, they can quite happily coexist in my view.

I did however notice a sales post, where the watch was initially listed on FB for far less than its initial listing price on here. :silent:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

nbg wrote:
I did however notice a sales post, where the watch was initially listed on FB for far less than its initial listing price on here. :silent:

Neil
^^^Mates rates versus business rates. :ka:
Steve.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

nbg wrote:

Neil
I heard about that, as another forum member added a comment to the ad in sales corner - which appeared to be swiftly removed by a mod. :silent:
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

^^^ Yep I didn’t bother adding a comment at the time, as I knew it would be deleted!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS

nbg wrote:^^^ Yep I didn’t bother adding a comment at the time, as I knew it would be deleted!

Neil
It was deleted (by me) as a matter of policy, as under current Sales Corner Forum Rules 'discussion' posts are discouraged; not specifically for the content of the post.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk