Members' Photo Thread

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Members' Photo Thread

Post by jkbarnes »

Wis wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:23 am Great pics Andrew. Cape Cod sounds wonderful.
Thanks! I’m feeling my way with B&W. it’s a different beast than color and requires a bit more forethought.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:30 am
Wis wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:23 am Great pics Andrew. Cape Cod sounds wonderful.
They are indeed. I’m inspired to do a little more digital darkroom work...monochrome and sepia can be so expressive.
Thanks!

For now, I’m shooting with a B&W preset then editing (very lightly) in either Apple Photos or Google Photos. I’m debating shooting RAW and stepping up to something more full featured like Lightroom. For now I’m going to focus on mastering exposure at the point of creation rather than trying to correct my mistakes after the fact.
Drew
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

Back in the pre-digital era I had some success with a method I learnt from the great Ansel Adams on how to get the correct white balance without all that expensive technical stuff. Just measure exposure on a white sheet of paper, and open the aperture two whole steps (I think it was two). It worked like a charm.
Bjørn
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Wis wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:52 pm Back in the pre-digital era I had some success with a method I learnt from the great Ansel Adams on how to get the correct white balance without all that expensive technical stuff. Just measure exposure on a white sheet of paper, and open the aperture two whole steps (I think it was two). It worked like a charm.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll try that.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Adams was, for me, the greatest landscape photographer of all – perhaps even the greatest photographer. The tonal range he achieved in his work was quite remarkable. I always kept a yellow filter on my camera when shooting in black and white, and occasionally would use a red filter to enhance dramatic skies.
These days I just use the iPhone camera, or occasionally a small Canon Digital. I do enjoy editing, and turning fairly average colour shots into something a lot better.

BA879E38-FCAC-4CF1-BAA7-107264B6C9A3.jpeg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:52 pm Adams was, for me, the greatest landscape photographer of all – perhaps even the greatest photographer. The tonal range he achieved in his work was quite remarkable. I always kept a yellow filter on my camera when shooting in black and white, and occasionally would use a red filter to enhance dramatic skies.
These days I just use the iPhone camera, or occasionally a small Canon Digital. I do enjoy editing, and turning fairly average colour shots into something a lot better.

What I love about Ansel Adams is that his work in the dark room creating the final print was just as important and a part of the process as the initial exposure.

For me, Henri Cartier-Bresson is the photographer I admire most. For contemporary photographers, Steve McCurry blows me away.
Drew
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:52 pm Adams was, for me, the greatest landscape photographer of all – perhaps even the greatest photographer. The tonal range he achieved in his work was quite remarkable. I always kept a yellow filter on my camera when shooting in black and white, and occasionally would use a red filter to enhance dramatic skies.

Excellent picture Steve. Very Adamsesque. I agree, his landscapes are wonderful. I must find his book that I have, with all these fabulous images.
Bjørn
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Wis wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:47 pmExcellent picture Steve. Very Adamsesque. I agree, his landscapes are wonderful.
Thank you, Bjørn. There are lots of elements I really love working with in black-and-white, because they just work so well. Clouds are an obvious example, along with stonework, doorways and arches, chiaroscuro and the play of light on water.

17621548-6EED-4248-B4A3-C2A24585C93B.jpeg
C1DA3C02-1560-4FB5-9AAE-E52C90578453.jpeg
6E2F5B72-A151-4B88-AEF7-5ADFCAF25C42.jpeg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Bjørn
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:43 pm
Wis wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:47 pmExcellent picture Steve. Very Adamsesque. I agree, his landscapes are wonderful.
Thank you, Bjørn. There are lots of elements I really love working with in black-and-white, because they just work so well. Clouds are an obvious example, along with stonework, doorways and arches, chiaroscuro and the play of light on water.

17621548-6EED-4248-B4A3-C2A24585C93B.jpeg

C1DA3C02-1560-4FB5-9AAE-E52C90578453.jpeg

6E2F5B72-A151-4B88-AEF7-5ADFCAF25C42.jpeg
There is something special about b/w pictures. They convey the essence of the motive in a way that a colour picture struggles to do. Very fine pictures there Steve.
Bjørn
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

Drinking while assembling, possible not a good Combination :silent:
image.jpg
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

We have a small wildflower garden in front of our house - a wildlife haven in the estate of mown lawns and sheared shrubs.

The compact fast 50mm lens is a boon sometimes. (cropped a lot)
nb5spot.JPG
There's always time for one more.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Paul Drawmer wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:30 pm We have a small wildflower garden in front of our house - a wildlife haven in the estate of mown lawns and sheared shrubs.

The compact fast 50mm lens is a boon sometimes. (cropped a lot)
nb5spot.JPG
Wonderful photo! I want to plant some flowers in my front yard that will attract butterflies and bees so I can get some photos like this with the macro lens I just ordered.
Drew
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

before a t-storm
F11ADE3A-FB02-4D3F-9AD6-90C4831EF539.jpeg
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Korkki wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:06 pm before a t-storm

F11ADE3A-FB02-4D3F-9AD6-90C4831EF539.jpeg
As in "the calm...". Was it a bad one? The water looked like a mill pond.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way