Any cyclists out there?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Any cyclists out there?

Post by Thermexman »

scooter wrote:I bought a Trek 7.4 FX in 2015 to take more exercise and to lose some weight.

It's a hybrid but I restrict myself to canal towpaths and on the road.

The longest trip was this 42.95 miler:

To be honest, you've reawaken my desire to get out on it more.

scooter
I'm loving this! Great to hear from you Scooter. Great bike choice. I see a bit of a theme with regards to the colour! I find that the first ride or two after a break are the hard ones to get motivated for, after that, it's kinda addictive! Grab your riding gear and get yourself out there fella. :thumbup:

Edited: I just realised that I recognise the area of your ride. I walked the White Horse Way last year, in ten mile chunks. Lovely area to cycle in. :thumbup:
Steve.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

scooter wrote:I bought a Trek 7.4 FX in 2015 to take more exercise and to lose some weight.

scooter
The bike looks a familiar colour...is it the Scooter Blue Ltd Edition :D
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I likes blue.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I didn't know you was a righty scooter ?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
DaytonaRik
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by DaytonaRik »

Good effort Scooter - sometimes we need to be reawakened to things. My cycling hit a stop when I met a new partner and she just didn't get cycling. Now, several years down the line, we have more 'alone' time but in a good way so cycling is back on the radar for me...injuries permitting

That sounds brutal Steve...but sometimes with wind you just have to suck it up, get your head down, gear it down and fight.

As someone once told me...cycling never gets easier, you just get faster!
I just think it's cool to have an obsolete technology on my wrist that actually works. - rfortson
redcon1
Junior
Junior

Post by redcon1 »

Glad to see some other cyclists here! I am an avid Recreational cyclist. It's my only form of exercise since my knees have prohibited running the last 10 years or so.

1) Started cycling in the 70s as a kid, pretty serious in the 80s, dwindled in the 90s and back to riding seriously in the 00s. I used to do a lot of touring/bike camping in my HS and College years. Have planned a trip this Sept on the Great Allegheny Passage/C&O Canal to rekindle that.
2) Mountain biking is my first love, since the mid 1980s when it took off. However, injuries including my last ejection and torn rotator cuff have caused me to step back from serious MTB, so mostly gravel and road cycling now. My wife cycles with me during the good weather, at least on the gravel and some road rides including charity rides.
3) I have a 29er Hardtail Gary Fisher MTB, a classic 26" Full-Suspension Santa Cruz MTB, an Aluminum Focus gravel bike, and a CF Focus road bike. I recently sold my 29" Full Suspension Ripley MTB.
4) I try to ride 3-4 times per week in season; I avoid rain unless I've paid for an event, LOL. Off-season I have taken to riding Zwift, much more fun on the trainer with the social aspect. (Anyone else on Zwift?)
5) Back in the day I did many centuries, a few doubles, and some Off-road endurance stuff. Now I pretty much limit myself to road rides less than 100KM, although I may ride a few centuries this year if I can talk some of my buddies into it. :lol:
------------
Dave
C60 Trident GMT Black/Black
Seiko SKX007
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Nice one Dave. Hardcore compared to me! I'm with you on the avoidance of the wet stuff, unless I get caught out of course!
Steve.
james80
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by james80 »

1) I had bikes all through childhood the last of which was a 1990 Muddy Fox Pathfinder. That bike was too cool and was the envy of my friends. It was unfortunately physically removed from my possession sometime in 1992. Watching the young man ride away on my pride and joy was heart breaking.

I got back into riding sometime in 2012 bought a low end trek and within a month realized it was a mistake. I sold it and bought a used FS Scott.

2: I like trails but will road ride (on my MTB) from time to time.

3: Currently a 2010 Scott Spark full suspension. I'm contemplating a 2017 Scott Scale 950 or 750, not sure to go 650b or 29er.

4: I was riding three to four times a week but stopped for almost fourteen months, I've just started again and would like to ride two to three times a week.

5: Not very! Sixteen miles of trails if memory serves.

The Muddy Fox

Current ride

Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

I guess riding on trails can be tougher? Distance isn't really that important. I reckon that if you enjoyed the ride, that's all that matters!
Steve.
redcon1
Junior
Junior

Any cyclists out there?

Post by redcon1 »

James80, nice contrast between the classic steel Muddy Fox and modern Scott FS MTBs.

Here are two more bookends of mountain bike technology, both full suspension but night and day in terms of capability:

2003 26" Santa Cruz Blur:

2016 29" Ibis Ripley:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
------------
Dave
C60 Trident GMT Black/Black
Seiko SKX007
DaytonaRik
Senior
Senior

Post by DaytonaRik »

Found these pics of my Canaan - firmly in the the XC camp with only 100mm of travel but it's plush and soaks up the bumps well with the Freedrive system and Fox RP23 shock plus a set of Recon Race forks means to can take on a bit of gnarlier stuff if you're pushed to it.

Back in the day (2007/8) it earned 4 stars from Bike Radar which isn't entirely unrespectable and full XT kit was nice at the price. Review here - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -us-28705/

It almost makes me want to hit the trails instead of the roads again.

I just think it's cool to have an obsolete technology on my wrist that actually works. - rfortson
DaytonaRik
Senior
Senior

Post by DaytonaRik »

james80 wrote:
Current ride

Ooooh - that's nice!
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Some pics from Spain at the weekend
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Nice! Looks like you had fun.
Steve.
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

james80 wrote:......
The Muddy Fox

James, I saw this for the first time the other day, and thought how much my old Saracen it looks.
I bought this in about 1992, and it is still providing ride to the shops service! I did Gloucester to Mousehole on it soon after we bought it, and for about 8 years I rode it the short distance to work most days. It's shops only now I've retired. It's had tyres and tubes, I ditched the V brakes a while ago, and put on a more comfortable bar set. A couple of years ago it had a new chain, block and cabling.

This was it before I swapped over the brakes. The frame looks eerily similar apart from the Saracen has internal rear brake cable - full size image if you click on it.
ImageIMG_0534 by Paul Drawmer, on Flickr
There's always time for one more.