Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
mike
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Web hosting

Post by mike »

Hi guys - wonder if anyone can recommend a free / reasonable web hosting service. I have had a quick look and some do a first year free depending on size of web site. Any advice welcome.

Cheers.

Mike
Mike

CWL - C4SSS | C6SYSK | C6SBS | C7STT | C2LE
Omega Seamaster
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: Web hosting

Post by ianblyth »

We would need a bit more info.

Is this for personal or business use?
Will it be mainly static or changing frequently?
Do you plan t have larg files on it?
Will there be a need for a database or shopping facilities?
Do you need to add programming or scripting?
What is your budget?

For my blogs I use Wordpress which allows you to have additional web pages and you can make those your home page which can make for a nice personal web site with a blog facility.

Google do a pretty good free one that I actually use for my business site as I have a pretty static site. They have templates which you just fill in the boxes. If you have a Hotmail account they also have the option for a free web site. And several other e-mail prooviders and ISPs provide you with free web sites.

I got my domain from 1&1 and just pay for the domain and use the built in redirection to point to my free Google Apps web site. Saves me having to pay a monthly fee for what is a simple web site with a few pages.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
mike
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by mike »

Thanks for reply Ian - more involved than I thought!

It's for Mrs Mike's craft business she is starting. So will need facility to add stock, shopping/sales and images. No need for programming or scripting. Not thought about a budget - but only small as not sure business will take off - so just dipping toes in water to try and reach a bigger market.
Mike

CWL - C4SSS | C6SYSK | C6SBS | C7STT | C2LE
Omega Seamaster
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

It always is.

What you are looking for is a web host that can support shopping. It will have to have a built in database and the ability to take orders. That puts you out of most of the free web sites. Key things I would suggest is ease of use in getting pictures up, being able to add descriptions and prices and the ability to securely take orders.

Here is a table from 1&1 showing what features you get the more you pay per month. They do a 30 days free start.
https://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/Esh ... _lf=Static

The starter e-commerce does not do stock, or international currency (although you can use PayPal which will cover that - bet you had not though of international buyers) and is limited to 100 items. etc. You do get unlimited traffic. Careful with web sites that limit you as if you have pictures not only will the traffic count each time you load one but each time a potential customer views it it will cost against your traffice allowance. The more you pay the more you get.

Some good questions at http://www.askwebhosting.com/article/42 ... sting.html

If you can get one free for a year that sounds like a good deal. What is wrong with using eBay as your shop? Remember a web server can be anywhere. You do not have to have it in the UK.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

If you want to show up in Google UK results though, you'll need your servers in the UK.

I use Pipeten but they might be overkill for your requirements.