The Seven Ages of WIS

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 7
LE-six: Yes

The Seven Ages of WIS

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Fri May 20, 2016 8:25 pm

The Seven Ages of WIS (not Bjørn!)

With apologies to Wm. Shakespeare (see what I did there?)

1. The Insouciant. Has a watch. One watch. Maybe. Perhaps uses smartphone to tell the time. Perfectly good watch from Argos or Samuels. Needs a battery every couple of years, apart from that just fine. He hasn't a clue what is out there and doesn't care.

2. The Curious. Has seen an interesting watch on a friend's wrist or perhaps an advert in a magazine. Realises that mechanical watches did not disappear in the 1970s. Interest aroused.

3. The Newbie. Joins a watch forum or two. Like a dog with two Parnises. Everything is wonderful, like the character in The Fast Show played by Paul Whitehouse, who strides across the screen saying "Aren't watches brilliant?" Wants one of everthing. Full of innocent questions, such as "What's the best watch for a beginner?" Tries to use horological vocabulary and gets it wrong, such as talking about deployment clasps. Gets post count reduced for wishing Happy Birthday to 31 people in 6 minutes. (PS. I'm not being snooty...I've been there! :lol: )

4. The Maniac. Like Geraldine Grainger in the chocolate aisle during a TV trolley dash. If a married man, becomes nervous of showing SWMBO the bank statements. Camps outside church halls waiting for flea markets to open. Actually thinks he needs a 600m WR watch with HEV to go in a pool in Tenerife, or a pilot chrono to time the flight from seat 17E.

5. The Dolphin. Realises the folly of the previous stage, and develops flipperitis trying to flog off all his mistakes. Uses all sorts of jargon like "one in, one out" or "only selling to fund new incoming." Gets bored waiting for a bite and prices drop like a stone. Be patient, buyer...there are bargains to be had!

6. The Consolidator. Phew! All the rubbish has gone. He now moves upmarket. Casio, Accurist and Limit are long gone. CW, Stowa and Steinhart are on the way out. Depending on tastes, we are talking Omega, Cartier, IWC, JLC, Bremont and of course Rolex. Trying to get down to the perfect 6 or 10, but never quite satisfied unless he finally becomes...

7. Shakyamuni...Buddha, right? The Enlightened One. Has found The One (with maybe a couple of others in the box for occasional use.)

Anyone recognise themselves along the road? I certainly do!

PS. This is completely lighthearted and a bit of fun. A bit of an antidote to :silent:
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

neil8fletcher3
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: The Seven Ages of WIS

Post by neil8fletcher3 » Fri May 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Think I'm around point 5 now but have been through the previous ones
Neil

kiter65
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:21 pm

Brilliant :lol: :clap: ....at number 6 :oops:

footycrazy
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by footycrazy » Fri May 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Been there and done them all. Been at number 7 for awhile with the extra 6 in the box. :lol:
Graham

Panerai Luminor Pam00000
Tudor Black Bay Blue 79230B
Graham Silverstone Timezone
Oris Aquis
Vintage 1969 Jaeger LeCoutre

Konketsu
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Konketsu » Fri May 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Good one Steve. I'm probably at stage 5.5 but can't quite make it to 6 or even dream of 7. Sometimes reverting back to 4 even.
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill

downer
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: Yes

Post by downer » Fri May 20, 2016 9:35 pm

I'm stuck at stage 6, having definitely been through all prior stages. Can't imagine the watch that would take me to a seven... But maybe it's the next one. :)
Richard

atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits » Fri May 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Also stuck at 6. 7 seems almost impossible to achieve.

smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina » Fri May 20, 2016 10:01 pm

Heading into 5, but have not yet actually managed to get the whole process of flipping started.

Must try harder..... nirvana is needed but seems a long way away at the moment![DISAPPOINTED FACE]

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

christam
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by christam » Fri May 20, 2016 10:16 pm

Hallelujah, a thread that made me smile. "A dog with two Parnises" = :lol: :lol: :lol:

A great opening post and we've all been through some/most/all of those stages. I suppose I'm on 6 and heading towards 7.

Thanks for some much-needed levity :clap:
I am not a collector of watches. I used to be able to say that and know I was telling the truth.

Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine » Sat May 21, 2016 12:39 am

Stage 4.9. Past the 'must buy everything' phase, with the occasional unexplained need to buy a watch, though usually quelled with some deep breathing. I know I need to sell some that are just taking up space, but haven't quite got around to it yet.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip » Sat May 21, 2016 1:53 am

I think I am between stage 4 and 5, but I can't be sure. :?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.

trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 12

Post by trsullivan » Sat May 21, 2016 2:13 am

Thank the Gods, a post I can finally laugh in embarrassed identification with!
Currently entering stage five, but like Smegwina, haven't actually flipped anything as yet.
Most won't bring much in a sale, but that's the nature of stage four, right? Most were bought for the movements rather than the style or use, and were never worn. Some were just TDB (too damn big), others WWIT (what was I thinking), and the rest only God now remembers. The keepers are vintage, CWL, and several worn for their utility and/or durability. Still onlooking for the Grail....
Thanks for the laughs, Steve. :thumbup:
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC
C3 FLE

Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller » Sat May 21, 2016 2:50 am

Great post. Whilst I recognise myself in a few categories, I don't seem to actually fit in any of them - other's might think otherwise of course! :D
'Tis me

Serlo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Serlo » Sat May 21, 2016 8:01 am

I think that I have reached stage 7, but I seem to have skipped stages five and six (or does selling one Stowa count as having passed that stage?). My problem is that I am too lazy to sell watches :oops:.

The good thing about stage 7 is that you don't care about topics that should not be mentioned here.
Andreas

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 7
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat May 21, 2016 8:52 am

Thanks - some great replies!

I did enshrine one or two well-known forum characters in there at various stages, myself included. I see a couple actually recognised themselves! :lol:

I am slightly all over the place. I might have found the one, so there are elements of 7, but I haven't really got into the dolphinarium yet...I don't really see myself as a flipper. Though I did trade a Nomos, of course. I don't think I will get into 6 either, as Cartier is the only brand in that market segment that interests me. Vacheron, Piaget...of course, but that's a different ball game.

Seems like I will end up with my Cartier, a collection of CWs that are getting used more and more for work now, and some nice vintages that are not worn so much as they were, but do enjoy a nice outing. And the Mako swim/beaters.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238