What is a classic car?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
kiter65
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

What is a classic car?

Post by kiter65 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:43 am

Went to the local classic car show yesterday ,when did 1980's rubbish become classic's? People were showing Volvo 740's rover 213's,820's metro's allego's etc.Not what I would call classic's, but my C60 had a nice run out. :thumbup:

Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: What is a classic car?

Post by Richard B » Mon May 05, 2014 10:17 am

Last year, I stumbled across an immaculately restored Austin Maxi. It was a labour or love for someone! :irre: :lol:
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.

akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk » Mon May 05, 2014 10:23 am

I think it varies - but in my view they need some redeeming feature...
so Maestro is not a classic
but Maestro MG is...
etc.
Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace

Berkshire

Post by Berkshire » Mon May 05, 2014 10:49 am

In general terms insurance companies classification of classic vehicles is as follows.

Vintage Car - A ‘vintage car’ is commonly defined as a vehicle built between the start of 1919 and the end of 1930.

Historic Car - The DVLA has a ‘historic vehicle’ taxation class. If your historic car was constructed or manufactured prior to 1973 then it will be exempt from the payment of road tax. You will need to make the necessary arrangements regarding this exemption directly with the DVLA.

Classic Car – The definition of a classic car differs greatly amongst individuals and organisations alike. In general terms it refers to a car which is over the age of 20 years.

Interesting thoughts on this thread too.

http://www.pistonheads.com/GASSING/topic.asp?t=536833

akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk » Mon May 05, 2014 10:55 am

tax has now changed to pre-1974 :)
there are also new MOT rules for cars pre 1960 (not required in most cases) - though that does allow you to pull a car out of a barn and drive it without an MOT - there is still an obligation for the car to be roadworthy (i.e. able to pass the MOT)

Alasdair

gweilgi
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by gweilgi » Mon May 05, 2014 12:51 pm

akirk wrote:tax has now changed to pre-1974 :)
there are also new MOT rules for cars pre 1960 (not required in most cases) - though that does allow you to pull a car out of a barn and drive it without an MOT - there is still an obligation for the car to be roadworthy (i.e. able to pass the MOT)

Alasdair
Admittedly, I only read the article sideways, but IIRC the MOT rules are not fixed to 1974 but roll over on a 30-year basis. Happy to be corrected on this, though...
proud C60 owner (grey)

akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk » Mon May 05, 2014 12:58 pm

MOT exemption is currently fixed and pre 1960 (a recent introduction)

Tax exemption (well in reality - Classic Car Tax is zero-rate not exempt, so currently at £0) was originally rolling at 25 years until it got to 1973 in 1998 and then it was stopped at cars bulit prior to 1973 - recently it was extended by one year... to pre-1974 - and in the recent budget it was put back onto a rolling '40 year' period - so next year it will be pre-1975 etc.

It is based on build record from factory, they might still have been registered in 1974 but have to have been built pre 1974... I was at the Jag archives once when an owner phoned up to see when his 1973 registered car was built (had to be pre-1973) they stopped the line for Christmas / New Year just before his car and his was the first one built in 1973 - he missed free tax by one car!

good overview here:
http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/classi ... -40-years/

Alasdair

MiniMpi
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19

Post by MiniMpi » Mon May 05, 2014 1:26 pm

We have a rolling date in Ireland.
Anything over 30 years old is classed as 'Vintage' so no National car test and set road tax amount of I think €60 Euro a year.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
C9 AM GT LE #001/135, C60 Ombré #001/300, C1-GM-5DA, C7 Proto, C11 Elite, C7 Bluebird, C70 Ascari, C7 COSC LE, C65 MK1 LE, C60 316L, C9-JH-MK3, C600-IPB, C8-KVKT-MK2, C60 GMT, C60 SKRS, C60-TI-V2, C8 UTC, C8 Flyer MK2, C65 Trident Diver, Rolex 912 Tank.

ArmyMedicDad
Senior
Senior

Post by ArmyMedicDad » Mon May 05, 2014 1:44 pm

While I am a huge fan of "classic" Volvo's, I would only expect to see a 740 on a used car lot or at a parts junkyard.

Now this would be a completely different story (owned a black one back in the Sixties) >

John
Laco Paderborn
Only after being retired, do I finally land my dream job >>> Certified Barbeque Judge

kiter65
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by kiter65 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:51 pm

That's more like it :thumbup:

Paul Drawmer
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by Paul Drawmer » Mon May 05, 2014 2:22 pm

A classic car is one where the cost of maintaining it divided by the number of miles driven per year year results in a number that is frightening to contemplate. There's a rule about Old Cars, Old Boats and Old Houses: If you can't take a joke, don't buy one.

It surprises me that cars which I regarded as completely without merit when new; are now, some 40 years later, regarded as 'Classic'. The reason most of them are so rare is because when they were new, they were rubbish!
There's always time for one more.

tikkathree
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by tikkathree » Mon May 05, 2014 5:47 pm

kiter65 wrote:Went to the local classic car show yesterday ,when did 1980's rubbish become classic's? People were showing Volvo 740's rover 213's,820's metro's allego's etc.Not what I would call classic's, but my C60 had a nice run out. :thumbup:
You think that's bad. A mate invited me to the National Classic Car Show earlier in the year. Some nice cars but some absolute howlers too from the 60's, 70's and 80's. All looking pristine and cherished beyond the way they would have been back in the day.
I've had a go with most CW models in the true spirit of online buying - get it, try it, keep it or flip it! White C60 Mk2, Black C60 Mk2 GMT and the big blue beast!

jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo » Tue May 06, 2014 8:34 pm

Andymedic......were you talking about the woman in the photo or the red car? (owning a black one).....and if you did.....are you allowed to say that these days?

talking classics, my dad had a couple of Amazons which we all loved.

I am on saturday starting a new part time job as the chauffeur for a wedding car company, I'm doing it, not for the money, but so i get the chance to drive some old Rolls Royces. As i'm going to be the new boy, will start with the bridesmaids car (well the brides taken anyway :lol: ) and it will be a Silver Shadow. Can't wait to "wallow" around the New Forest in some real classics, and get paid for it too! I will post pictures as soon as i can.

Now what watch to wear? i was thinking my C1 Russel, gold case, brown face, brown strap roman numerals....looks classy, or should it be my C5? black strap gold case, cream face.......and leave my WW1 trench watch for the real old ens as they come up! Should be a good gig got 6 weddings to go to so far.......he even has a couple of Ferrari's that he gets the bridegroom to the weddings in if they so wish.....so if i can get behind the wheel of one of those........

My MX5 will be a classic one day, don't intend to sell it on, am not going to "mod it" in any way so keeping it "just so"
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side