What book are you reading

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: What book are you reading

Post by gwells »

The Gathering Storm (book 12 of the Wheel of TIme series, getting close to the end).
the "g" is for Greg...
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

Still trying to catch up with some of the so called classics I should have read at a much younger age. Currently on The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas. Having seen the spoofs and the films and the TV series I thought it might be a bit cheesy. It's actually very good, and it's a long book (!), plus it's a freebie on Kindle. Will probably have a go at the rest of the less well known musketeer series (5 more freebies - tight Tyke that I am :) ).
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well, I have given "A Song of Ice and Fire" a rest - I've read books 1-4 and have them all on Kindle.
Current reading:

The Mortal Engines Quartet (Philip Reeve)
The Story of Tibet (Thomas Laird in Conversation with the Dalai Lama)
The Best Way by Bill Walker - another Camino de Santiago book. I'm reading a few of these to gain inspiration for my travelogue based on my 2-year-old diaries. I currently have about 50,000 words down but I've stalled a bit. But I've got itchy feet again, and might have to go back there next year.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

AliBar wrote:Still trying to catch up with some of the so called classics I should have read at a much younger age. Currently on The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas. Having seen the spoofs and the films and the TV series I thought it might be a bit cheesy. It's actually very good, and it's a long book (!), plus it's a freebie on Kindle. Will probably have a go at the rest of the less well known musketeer series (5 more freebies - tight Tyke that I am :) ).
Great book.

I have read so many great books by getting the kindle freebies! Great way to enjoy the "classics"

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard B »

My previous favourite author, Graham Hurley, based a series of ten books on and around Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight. This coincidentally was where I used to spend all my leisure time.

I took a break, and I'm both struggling with, and enjoying a book by Ben Macintyre about spying in WWII "Double Cross"- why is it heavy going? Well, it's just completely factual based on his research. Enjoyable because its an unbelievable tale of how ingenious British spies were inWWII. Particularly ingenious, as most of them weren't British!

Life moves on, and now that I spend all my weekends in Devon, Mr Hurley has obliged by chaining the location of his next series of books to the West Country. I look forward to returning to these.
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.
v8power
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by v8power »

What book? Now? Skinners Union carburator repair manual... God damn Jag don't want to start and no idle at all. Smells like too much fuel...
Watch out :)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Finishing up The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

One of my goals for the year is to read 3 books about North Korea. The first book I read is non-fiction on the underground rail road that has been set up to get defectors out. It was interesting, but ultimately, not that illuminating. I'm currently on Book #2 which is called The Orphan Master's Son, a imaginary fictional account of what life could be like for the average North Korean person. The writing is very engaging, but I find my interest in it lagging all the same. Might have been a bad goal to set. I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions for Book About North Korea #3?
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Lego
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lego »

Star Island by Carl Hiaasen.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
MGH
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by MGH »

The Shadow Of The Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
Martin

CW: C9,C11,C700
Orient: Mako
G Gerlach: P.24
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Lego wrote:Star Island by Carl Hiaasen.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
I just started his newest (I think) - Bad Monkey ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

MGH wrote:The Shadow Of The Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
Very good book...
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Fnew »

Having finished all of the Jack Reacher and Scot Harvath books, I have recently started reading Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp books. Reacher is by far my favorite and I am counting the days until the release of his next book in September.
Fred

C60 COSC, Orient Mako XL, Raymond Weil Traditions Auto, Daniel JeanRichard Grand TV, Vintage Omega Seamaster, Baume & Mercier Riveria Auto, Citizen Eco Drive, 121 Time Custom Chrono, Invicta Speedway, vintage Seiko Business A, the one I built
eyewatch
Junior
Junior

Post by eyewatch »

Just finished 'Finding Moonshine' by Marcus du Sautoy, a good history about the maths of symmetry and a brief history of the 'Knights Templar' by Helen Nicholson. I have just returned from a family holiday in and around Chinon, France and it was coincidental that I read this when the history of the area is intertwined with the trials.

Now reading 'Freedom in Exile' by the Dalai Lama.

Soon my annual leave will be over and I will have to go back to reading text books and scientific publications for another year.
Jan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jan »

Ian McDonald's The Dervish House.

C20 Lido, C5 Aviator, C5 Quartz, W6 Splash, C4 Peregrine, C6 RAF Valley